• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Semi Finals and Final

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Slow Love™ said:
What kind of animal is that ICC mascot thing? It looks like some kind of koala/sloth hybrid.
Represents a Caribbean teenager apparently embodying Caribbean lifestyle.Name's Mello. No distinct kind of animal. World Cup 2007 mascot not ICC really.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
dunno buddy. we just are
No, your players aren't more talented than other countries in the world. It's just a much better system than almost all other countries.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just heard for those of us in Australia without Fox etc. that the ABC will be broadcasting the ICC CT Trophy tomorow night from 7:00pm :cool:

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well considering that neither of them is opening the batting...

It's have to be the latter, if anything. :p
There is, but how good is the batting order when the conditions are in favor of the seamers? The reason why WI got hammered by Sl is because on a bowler friendly wicket they fall short. Gayle as we all know is very poor on seamer friendly wickets, Chanderpaul doesnt have the technique to do so while opening the batting, while Sarwan and Morton arent particularly better. Its the same with the bowling to be honest, theres Bradshaw and very little else to run through sides on a seamer friendly wicket. My fear is that if the pitch for the final ends up being a green one with the ball bending around corners(a la Aus vs NZ), the game wont last very long. If it isnt however we could be in for one hell of a game.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Clapo said:
Just heard for those of us in Australia without Fox etc. that the ABC will be broadcasting the ICC CT Trophy tomorow night from 7:00pm :cool:
That`s awesome. Good that so many people will be able to see what should be a quality cricket match. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:
That`s awesome. Good that so many people will be able to see what should be a quality cricket match. :)
Well, hear (at least I'm assuming Clapo meant it'll be on ABC radio).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
:laugh: I thought he meant it was on ABC TV. Couldn`t quite believe it, and evidently, with good reason. :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
roseboy64 said:
Represents a Caribbean teenager apparently embodying Caribbean lifestyle.Name's Mello. No distinct kind of animal. World Cup 2007 mascot not ICC really.
Really? But he's like furry and orange - and he has koala ears. I think people are gonna die laughing when they switch on the WC coverage and hear that one explained...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
There is, but how good is the batting order when the conditions are in favor of the seamers? The reason why WI got hammered by Sl is because on a bowler friendly wicket they fall short. Gayle as we all know is very poor on seamer friendly wickets, Chanderpaul doesnt have the technique to do so while opening the batting, while Sarwan and Morton arent particularly better. Its the same with the bowling to be honest, theres Bradshaw and very little else to run through sides on a seamer friendly wicket. My fear is that if the pitch for the final ends up being a green one with the ball bending around corners(a la Aus vs NZ), the game wont last very long. If it isnt however we could be in for one hell of a game.
Why would you quote that post to make that point?

Aside from that, have you not seen any of Taylor? Or even Smith for that matter. Both can be extremely effective when there's seam movment about about, let alone without it. I really do wonder if you watch teams before commenting on them. Wow.

Regarding the batting, even Australia is a fragile team on a seamer's paradise, so I don't see why you'd pinpoint the West Indies in that regard.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Slow Love™ said:
Really? But he's like furry and orange - and he has koala ears. I think people are gonna die laughing when they switch on the WC coverage and hear that one explained...
I would expect so.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No, your players aren't more talented than other countries in the world. It's just a much better system than almost all other countries.
no what? I never suggested any reason in my post I just said I didn't know

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why would you quote that post to make that point?
That was my mistake, i was actually referring to the post that was directly above that, this one:

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Agreed, but that's just West Indies cricket in general. I still think there's more depth to this lineup than the big four.

It showed in the game against Australia.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Aside from that, have you not seen any of Taylor? Or even Smith for that matter. Both can be extremely effective when there's seam movment about about, let alone without it. I really do wonder if you watch teams before commenting on them. Wow.
All due to respect to Dwayne Smith, but hes nothing more than an accurate seamer who occasionally bowls above himself. Nothing wrong with that, but if you need to run through a side on a seamer friendly wicket, youd have to be completely out of your mind if you turned to Smith to do so. Its the same with Bravo, Bradshaw and co. The Wi side is filled with bowlers who can do a good job keeping the run rate down and bowling economically but none of them are wicket taking bowlers or capable of running through a side cheaply. Even the likes of Bradshaw has never taken more than 3 wickets in an innings.
As far as Taylor is concerned, yes so he can bowl at 150 kph and has age on his side, but he offers precious little else at this stage of his career. He has a bit of potential(if he can add some variety and accuracy to his bowling) but is certainly nowhere near as good as hes made out to be, and his ER in ODIs is representative of that.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Regarding the batting, even Australia is a fragile team on a seamer's paradise, so I don't see why you'd pinpoint the West Indies in that regard.
Since when has the Australian batting card been fragile on seamer friendly surfaces? Hussey, Ponting, Martyn and Gilchrist have all shown at some points during their career that they are more than capable of scoring runs on a sticky wicket. Certainly more than what Sarwan, Gayle and Morton(and Chanderpaul opening) have done before. The one time WI came across a sticky wicket in this series, they were bowled out for less than a 100, against a rubbish pace bowling attack(and i can assure you Maharoof taking 6 wickets in any game should be considered an absolute disaster). One shudders to think what would happen to them if they came across Mcgrath, Lee, Bracken and Johnson on one of those wickets in the final.