• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Semi Finals and Final

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Well Gayle has won the battle with SA's pace attack so far..let's see if the skipper can do any better.....

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Ok im going out on a limb and saying its impossible for the windies to lose from here. Great performance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good idea for Shiv to go off, hopefully he's right for the final. Plenty of time to rest and heal up as the final is Sunday night.

Gotta love the Windies really :)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Every player of Battrick knows this game is still in the balance...

Anyways looks like being the final I expected after seeing the semis, hopefully a repeat of the excitement of the Aus v WI group game.

Dravid

International Captain
Great performance from West Indies. Really expected this match to be much closer, but turned out to be a one sided game. Well deserved win. Also great knock from Chris Gayle. Sadly Chanderpaul retired or I'm sure even he would have got a 100.

Should be a really interesting final now with the last champions in it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In the end, as good as the WI have played (bowled intelligently, fielded well and have batted beautifully), the SA have made their own bed as far as I'm concerned.

If there ever needed to be more evidence that Smith's captaincy, and the SA team in general, are overly-defensive to their own deteriment its this match. On such a flat and even batting track with a long batting line-up they batted far too defensively from the get-go. Firstly they paid the bowlers too much respect, even before Smith went out. Smith looked like he was going to up the ante, but once he fell SA hit a wall. Sending Kallis before Gibbs was downright stupid. 4 is perfect for Kallis, and this track was the right one for Gibbs (as he showed). Gibbs thrives on tracks with even bounce. Kallis kamikazed because he knew he needed to up the run rate, whereas they should have stuck with their original order.

And don't get me started regarding Smith taking out his first slip after around 8-10 overs. Disgraceful. No matter how good Gayle and Shiv are going, when you have a bowling line-up of Pollock, Ntini and Nel you back them to be able to find the edge. Gayle and Shiv being left-handed were intentionally trying to counter the angle (well, mainly Shiv by moving across), so instead Smith takes away the slips making it even easier.

Smith's really showing as every game goes by that he's a fairly ordinary captain at best. Well done to WI though, hammering SA into submission.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well didn't the windies come to play tonight, didn't expect to see this, West Indies have smoked the Saffie's thus far.

Australia have to to watch these blokes, certain key area's of the windies gave have to be nullified for Australia to be sure of victory on sunday.

- Australia have to to attack Bradshaw early IMO since he is the key man in their bowling attack, if pressure is put on him then the obvious weaks links in their bowling attack would be put under pressure and this is where Australia can score some free runs.

- Got to find a way to limit Gayle scoring or just send him back early (easier said than done), but if any team can do it its the mighty Aussies.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Man. The West Indies are a good ODI side, but they really keep the opposition interested with their batting outside of Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan and Lara.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Chris Gayle should definetley be the man of the series as far as I'm concerned. 437 @ 72 with 3 Hundred, can't really see anyone else. Unless something dramatic happens in the final though...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think they'd count the qualifying tournament as well, would they?

I think if Martyn or McGrath had a huge final and Gayle failed they could sneak it from him, but he's certainly the main candidate right now.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Chris Gayle should definetley be the man of the series as far as I'm concerned. 437 @ 72 with 3 Hundred, can't really see anyone else. Unless something dramatic happens in the final though...
His ave is actually 87.40, not to mention he has 8 wickets @22.50 with an ER under 4.

Loony BoB

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Man. The West Indies are a good ODI side, but they really keep the opposition interested with their batting outside of Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan and Lara.
Man. New Zealand are a good ODI side, but they really keep the opposition interested with their batting outside of Fleming, , and .

:(

*still disappointed*

Fantastic display by Gayle today. Hope Chanderpaul is okay for the final.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Awesome stuff from Gayle, he must love playing in India:

Code:
                     Mat  Runs  HS   BatAv 100  50   W    BB  BowlAv 5w  Ct St

unfiltered           150  5539 153*  40.13  15  28 126  5/46   31.89  1  70  0
in India              14   892 140   74.33   6   1  12  3/3    29.75  0   7  0
Simply stunning. The one problem with the South African seam attack is that if Pollock could be thrown off line early on, the likes of Nel and Ntini would have less runs to attack with.

TBH I don't think the West Indies have a problem with their current batting lineup - Morton and Bravo offer enough depth - but given an injury or two to any of the top four, they are in big, big trouble.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I just watched the highlights of this semi-final, chris gayle is just amazing, i have been a fan of his for a long time now, but when i saw his straight drives for four, hitting pollock, ntini really made them look ordinary bowlers. I am a really big fan of gayle now, he was quite inconsistent in the past but as far as i remember he is just getting consistent with time, and hopefully for the better of his team he will keep getting better. Easily the best opener for me in the world ATM.

Backing windies for the final :cool: