• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asif, Aktar in Doping Charges

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gloucefan said:
I heard on the radio that they were not definatly not 'recreational drugs' that they were tested positive for. Still how does any drug enhance your cricketing abilities?
Potentially shortens the recovery time for injured players

Slow Love™

International Captain
Not the Shoaib!

Potentially, this is doubly sad, 'cause occasionally this comes down to a doctor or trainer who cheats a little (without the player's knowledge) to get a player back from injury more readily. In the days of random testing (particularly around the major ODI tourneys) it's hard to believe a player could be so stupid and risk their careers self-medicating. Does happen though, obviously. I guess perhaps they get told (or sold) something else will mask it's detection, when in fact it doesn't.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What is it ??

According to the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) system of nomenclature, the anabolic steroid has the name 17b-hydroxy-19-nor-4-andro-sten-3-one, and can occur naturally in the body, albeit in minute quantities. Structurally, it's very similar to Testosterone, the male hormone that was recently the buzz word in sports bulletins after Floyd Landis, the Tour de France winner, tested positive for excessive levels.

Like Testosterone and Creatine, the amino acid that Juventus's football team were alleged to use regularly in the 1990s, Nandrolone too increases muscle mass. It can also produce the same side-effects, like overly aggressive behaviour, as testosterone. Clinical experiments have been conducted in the past to see its efficacy in the treatment of HIV-affected men and also for other diseases that cause muscle wastage.

The tests for Nandrolone, which involve urine samples, are considered positive if the level exceeds 2 nano grams per ml, the limit set by the International Olympic Committee which is considered the maximum possible in natural cases. Most positive tests have involved athletes with levels hundreds of times above normal.

Those caught in the past have included Linford Christie, Olympic 100m champion in 1996, and Petr Korda, the Czech tennis player. Football, though, has had to endure the most scandal, with Jaap Stam, Edgar Davids, Frank de Boer (The Netherlands), Fernando Couto (Portugal) and Josep Guardiola (Spain) all having served bans for nandrolone use.

The testing procedures have not been without controversy though. Athletes who have been caught have often cited the use of Creatine and the consumption of protein shakes as the reason for positive tests. An Aberdeen University study suggests that they may have a point. According to that, consumption of dietary supplements in conjunction with heavy physical training can result in the athlete returning a positive test for Nandrolone. As with many drugs, including THG that was involved in the infamous BALCO case, our knowledge is far from comprehensive. And as long as that remains the case, the protestations of innocence from those caught may just have a ring of truth to them.

Dilip Premachandran in Cricinfo

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
social said:
Potentially shortens the recovery time for injured players
Plus it gives you more stamina so you can bowl for longer. And if you use it to muscle up, it adds to your power and adds to your pace.

Fusion

Global Moderator
In terms of being a Pakistan cricket fan, this is the saddest day of my life. I am so depressed that I don't think I can even bring myself to watch the CT, or any other cricket for some time. I certainly can not stomach watching any Pakistan game without anger and disgust overwhelming me. Contrary to what Scaly may believe, Pakistani's are not cheats. When some of our own are caught doing something like this, it is like a punch to the stomach. If the B sample is also positive and there is no logical explanation provided for how else they could've tested positive, then I believe both Akthar and Asif should be banned for 2 years minimum. In fact, I think Akhtar has used up his nine lives LONG ago and needs to be banned permanently. A two year ban for Asif, IMO, would also effectively derail his once promising career. So be it. If you don't have the moral decency to represent your country proudly and honestly, then you don't deserve to play for your country! I would rather we lose every series from now on with ethical players, rather than win the WC with corrupt ones.
What a sad day man. This sucks.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Real shame for world cricket, but at the end of the day a drug cheat's a drug cheat and must be punished accordingly. I hope not to see either of them playing international cricket for a long time - something I never thought I'd say, given how good both of them are to watch.

If this ever happened to a couple of England players I'd be distraught, but tbbh I hate drug cheats with a passion, so regardless of who it is, it's good to know that they're being caught.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
B Samples also test positive !!

BREAKING NEWS

Its now confirmed that the B samples of both Asif and Akhtar have also been confirmed as positive for Nadrolone !!

Unlikely that these players can now escape from a two year ban.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i'm not a pakistani fan...but this is quite a sad day. At the end of the day, as a cricket fan, u want to see the best players on the field, even if it disadvantages your team. Best of luck to Pakistan tomm, cos i think sri lanka will hammer them....something i was not expecting 2 months ago!

Xuhaib

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Real shame for world cricket, but at the end of the day a drug cheat's a drug cheat and must be punished accordingly. I hope not to see either of them playing international cricket for a long time - something I never thought I'd say, given how good both of them are to watch.

If this ever happened to a couple of England players I'd be distraught, but tbbh I hate drug cheats with a passion, so regardless of who it is, it's good to know that they're being caught.
Ditto.

It sucks to be a Pakistani cricket fan at the moment.

Legglancer

State Regular
I am not from Pakistan but I am proud of how the PCB handled this matter so far. They have set the standard for the rest. No self serving coverups like how the ACB covered up Mark Waugh and Shane Warne match fixing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Haha when I heard this on the radio I thought "I can't wait to hear Piscine's thoughts on the matter!" Still he didn't disappoint, personally I think we should wait for the B samples to come through..

Why is this not in Cricket chat? Getting a bit tired of having to trawl through lots of subforums to find a discussion.. Will every series have its own subforum at this rate?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
In terms of being a Pakistan cricket fan, this is the saddest day of my life. I am so depressed that I don't think I can even bring myself to watch the CT, or any other cricket for some time. I certainly can not stomach watching any Pakistan game without anger and disgust overwhelming me. Contrary to what Scaly may believe, Pakistani's are not cheats. When some of our own are caught doing something like this, it is like a punch to the stomach. If the B sample is also positive and there is no logical explanation provided for how else they could've tested positive, then I believe both Akthar and Asif should be banned for 2 years minimum. In fact, I think Akhtar has used up his nine lives LONG ago and needs to be banned permanently. A two year ban for Asif, IMO, would also effectively derail his once promising career. So be it. If you don't have the moral decency to represent your country proudly and honestly, then you don't deserve to play for your country! I would rather we lose every series from now on with ethical players, rather than win the WC with corrupt ones.
What a sad day man. This sucks.
My heart goes out to you my friend. I can fully understand how you are feeling right now.

I did not watch cricket for quite a long time after Indian players were found involved in match fixing. Even though one had heard from cricketers that such things were happening, I suppose one was hoping against hope that it would be incorrect, when it did happen we were shattered and watching a game was really painful after that.

I have nothing but utter contempt for people like Azharuddin and will turn off the TV even today if he makes an appearance on a public event. And I am not able to enjoy his fascinating batting when old games are shown on TV since all that I can think when I see him playing is that this man is a cheat. His every move and every facial expression appears suspect.

I think this kind of reaction by cricket lovers towards such players is greater than any punishment handed out by the authorities.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Haha when I heard this on the radio I thought "I can't wait to hear Piscine's thoughts on the matter!" Still he didn't disappoint, personally I think we should wait for the B samples to come through..
B samples' results HAVE come through. They are positive for both of them. The news item also mentioned that PCB has 'suspended' both Akhtar and Asif, whatever that may mean.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Legglancer said:
I am not from Pakistan but I am proud of how the PCB handled this matter so far. They have set the standard for the rest. No self serving coverups like how the ACB covered up Mark Waugh and Shane Warne match fixing.
Indeed. Fairplay to the PCB

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I do wish these two will never play international cricket again AND that Pakistan will perform fantastically well in international cricket without them so that they are never missed and given the burial they deserve. That would be real justice and act as balm to the hurt caused to the millions of Pakistani fans.

PS: I am assuming, of course, that they ARE guilty as it does appear to be at this time.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I guess people will say the old saying that all Pakistani players are cheats and that they should be banned ect ect. Easily the worst era of Pakistani cricket ever.