Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Asif, Aktar in Doping Charges

With Warne I have to concede that given how absolutely stupid he is in regards to just about everything except playing cricket, it IS possible he thought he was just taking a diet pill. Particularly given his well publicised vanity and sensitivity given his physical appearance (ie. storming out of a press conference when a reporter made a fat joke about him, going to Advanced Hair, etc). Of all the rubbish excuses thrown up, its one of the more plausible, simply because its stupidity accords with what we know of Shane's off-the-field style.

That said, I don't really care why he took it, he took it. He deserved everything he got and probably more. If he's ever caught again, he deserves a life time ban.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Can I also say how disappointing and disgusting Imran and Miandad's comments about this have been. I mean sure, stick up for your team and country over Oval-gate, but to come out and criticise the PCB for: a) conducting drug tests, b) not timing those drug tests so they don't interfere with big tournaments like the CT, c) not sweeping the results under the carpet, and d) not having stopped this from happening earlier (though how they coulds give a, b and c is a mystery), shows that they have become jokes and need to pull their heads in because its them, not the PCB that's damaging Pakistan's image.

^ I agree with this rudy *** candy *** above me

Great posts Matt.

EDIT: I can't believe the kiddy word for faeces is censored.
    Last edited by Jono; 17-10-2006 at 05:30 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    No - its exactly like cheating. I don't think the "I'm only taking it to get over an injury" rationale is any different from "I want to get bigger muscles". Both aims are the same - you're introducing unnatural chemicals, or unnatural levels of naturally occuring chemicals, into your body to produce an unnatural result. Its the very definition of cheating - you're attempting to procure an unfair advantage over your competitors. It disadvantages people who aren't willing to break the rules to aid their recovery - and those people have every right to want to adhere to the rules as nobody knows what the long term effects of this stuff is. I'm afraid the 'it was only to get back in time for the CT' excuse is just a rationalisation.

And I did the Warney's mum bit 4 pages ago!
    Completely agreed.

Breakout Champion!
    ***. Poopoo

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    Can I also say how disappointing and disgusting Imran and Miandad's comments about this have been. I mean sure, stick up for your team and country over Oval-gate, but to come out and criticise the PCB for: a) conducting drug tests, b) not timing those drug tests so they don't interfere with big tournaments like the CT, c) not sweeping the results under the carpet, and d) not having stopped this from happening earlier (though how they coulds give a, b and c is a mystery), shows that they have become jokes and need to pull their heads in because its them, not the PCB that's damaging Pakistan's image.
    Are you for real? what those ppl have said is entirely different from what you have been claiming. No one said that the test shouldn't have been conducted or that they should have been swept under the carpet. Miandad's held PCB responsible for the doping fiasco coz he felt that PCB had spoilt its players and never diciplined them,which resulted in players behaving in awful manner every now and then.He said exactly the same thing when Younis Khan acted like a child while rejecting captaincy only to be rewarded the captaincy again rather then being punished.
    Imran said that PCB should have made the news official before the start of the tour rather than when than when the tour had already started, he also felt that PCB should have conducted an inquiry into the doping case.

Asif Iqbal has also crticize PCB for not educating players which is resulting in players doing stupid stuff again and again.

No one criticize PCB for conducting the test or for not sweeping under the carpet, however they are abolutely right to criticize PCB for handling the cricket affair in Pakistan as the way its being run is nothing but a joke.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Cricket-Miandad, Nawaz slam board's handling of doping tests LAHORE, Pakistan, Oct 17 (AFP) Javed Miandad Tuesday said he was stunned by the drugs scandal. "I am shocked to hear about this, this is a huge blow to Pakistan cricket," he said. Miandad blamed a lack of discipline for the doping row. "I have been saying that all the ills of Pakistan cricket are due to lack of discipline “Players have been allowed to do what they like. Tell me when has the board ever taken strong action against any player for any indiscipline?” the stalwart of 124 Tests askedand this shows we have not recovered from the first-ever forfeit Test jolt, the ball-tampering allegations and the captaincy row," he said. Miandad said coach Bob Woolmer and the team's doctors should also be investigated "because players don't know what medicines they are taking". Sarfraz Nawaz agreed with Miandad. "These tests were initiated by the previous board led by Shaharyar Khan, so he and all other officials should also be taken to task," said Nawaz. "If Australia can ban Shane Warne then nobody is above the game and its rules, but both Asif and Akhtar should be given a full chance to clarify their position," he said

U19 Vice-Captain
    A bad board blames its players

A PCB official has told Cricinfo that the players are reponsible for this situation and were given a booklet explaining what is legal and what is illegal. This game of passing the buck is deplorable and offers a wonderful insight into why the PCB stumbles from one disaster to another.

Even the most highly educated individuals fail to absorb the majority of information delivered to them in seminars and booklets. Few people could tell you every ingredient in what they have eaten. Few patients have a good idea of the drugs they are being administered.

Asif and Shoaib might be utterly to blame but then again they might not and Shoaib has already protested his innocence.

This premature damnation from the PCB is embarrassing and it contrasts sharply with the message that Younis Khan and Bob Woolmer are sending out that the players, management, and administration must accept collective responsibility. The PCB should hold its tongue until it has got to the bottom of this sorry affair, an affair that has done much more damage to Pakistan cricket and the team's chances of winning the World Cup than the previous two disasters

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    The Courier Mail said today that Naved Ul-Hasan's (or however you spell his name) sample was also 'suspect'. Surely with 3 players coming back from injury, and 2 of them having positive samples and one suspect sample, a question has to be asked whether it was negligence from the Pakistan doctors or wheteher it actually was the 3 of them acting as drug cheats.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

The precedent in relation to drugs in cricket was set by Warne, who, IMO was very lucky not to have received a longer sentence. If indeed the B samples come back positive, Asif & Akhtar should at least receive the now minimum ban of (correct me if i'm wrong please) two years. Assuming they did indeed take the drug/s, it shouldn't make a difference whether or not it actually "enhanced" their on field performance, or sped up their recovery from an injury. Both are scenarios that invole an activity that isn't natural, and that alone should be punishable.

Furthermore, whilst it is argued that what Warne took wasn't a performance enhancing drug, as scaly has pointed out, it is just as serious because of the fact that it is indeed a masking agent. Masking agents cannot be overlooked purely and simply because of the suspicious nature they carry.

Whatever the outcome, cricket is the big loser in all of it, and i hope it kick-starts a major crack-down on drugs, and a scheme to make players/team doctors/phsyios/trainers more aware of whats legal and whats not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Are umpires drug tested?

I need to know for future career aspirations.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Are umpires drug tested?

I need to know for future career aspirations.
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I do not believe the BCCI does any sort of testing by itself.
    The entire Indian team were tested by the BCCI during the tour to NZ just prior to the 2003 World Cup. That is one instance I know of.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fratboy
    The entire Indian team were tested by the BCCI during the tour to NZ just prior to the 2003 World Cup. That is one instance I know of.
    They don't have a program in place yet regardless of few instances of the Indian team having been tested.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator

Inzi: Yea is Darrel Hair not there so good is all. Thank is you.
    Hahah Was Inzi getting smashed too then?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information