Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Round - Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    Can anyone who saw the game tell me how Bangladesh bowled. I think the scorecard tells the batting story well enough: flashes of brilliance ruined by the inevitable collapse.
    Didnít watch of all the second innings but the bits I saw the two opening bowlers started pretty well. The left arm seamer caused a few problems for Chanderpaul but his distinct lack of pace meant it was always going to be difficult against Gayle, who was just walking down the track and dismissing him. Abdur Razzak bowled ok, didnít turn the ball much but good control and if the wicket keeper could catch, he would have picked up a wicket or two. Though in reality they were always on for a hiding for nothing considering the total they had to defend and the ultra defensive fields that were set.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Didnít watch of all the second innings but the bits I saw the two opening bowlers started pretty well. The left arm seamer caused a few problems for Chanderpaul but his distinct lack of pace meant it was always going to be difficult against Gayle, who was just walking down the track and dismissing him. Abdur Razzak bowled ok, didnít turn the ball much but good control and if the wicket keeper could catch, he would have picked up a wicket or two. Though in reality they were always on for a hiding for nothing considering the total they had to defend and the ultra defensive fields that were set.
    Mashud's keeping has been really off-colour from what I've seen recently, especially off the spinners. A couple of years ago he was amongst the top bracket of glovemen, but his standards have slipped in the last year or so.

True, Mashud kept poorly. He put Gayle down twice off Razzak, one a difficult leg-side chance and the other a dolly after Gayle feathered one almost straight through, inches outside off.

Was impressed by Mashrafe, as always. He really is a cursed bowler. Bowls well, gets nowt.
    Other than that, they don't amount to much and if Ireland can continue his impressive start, they might even lose to Zimbabwe tomorrow.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Zimbabwe have done the expected by doing the unexpected.

Terry Duffin has been sent home with illness, replaced by... Gary Brent! I always thought he should have been given more of an extended run in the side, but his batting never really fired like they wanted it to. He is 30 now though so his bowling will probably be at about the same quality as the likes of Mupariwa anyway (although he HAS to be better than Kamungozi!). He hit a century in Zimbabwean club cricket last weekend, although that means very little as I reckon I'd get a run in that comp.

All I can say about the selections in the last match is that Rainsford better well have been injured... I thought he was impressive against the West Indies and he had Gayle dropped a few times as well... what's the point of dropping your most impressive bowler when it's the batting that struggled?

Anyway, I hope Brent, Rainsford and Strydom play the next game. Justice looks in bad form but I'd stick with him.. Rink HAS to go.

Mufambisi actually looks like he has a decent technique even though I bagged him in the other thread. Masakadza has a test hundred against decent opposition, but watching him bat I wouldn't know how...he needs to get forward more and move his feet or he'll be a walking (or rather, standing a wafting) wicket. Taylor really looks like he belongs out there in international cricket - solid defence, good off side strokes.. I'm predicting a big one from him against the Deshis. Matsikenyeri and Chigumbura have been awful but I'd presist with them, reluctantly.

I'd go with this side:

1. Tafadzwa Mufambisi
    2. Justice Chibhabha
    3. Hamilton Masakadza
    4. Brendan Taylor
    5. Stuart Matsikenyeri
    6. Greg Strydom
    7. Elton Chigumbura
    8. Gary Brent
    9. Prosper Utseya
    10. Anthony Ireland
    11. Edward Rainsford
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

SL v WI - losing may not be a bad thing as it will give the loser a better chance of going further than the winner who has to beat Australia or hosts India to progress further.

The went with the side I suggested but they've dropped Mufambisi and kept Kamungozi. I really don't know why - Kamungozi is very, very ordinary and Mufambisi hasn't been horrible either (well, not compared to the other batsmen).

Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    SL v WI - losing may not be a bad thing as it will give the loser a better chance of going further than the winner who has to beat Australia or hosts India to progress further.
    Yeah its a bit odd. I reckon the winner should get the luxury of avoiding the best ranked team at the time of the tournament, that being Australia.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Zimbabwe keeping it tight, but the Deshis are doing well enough. Nafees in good touch.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Nafees please outscore Saqibul Hasan. There's still a chance you can top score for the Banglas this tourny and win me some cash.

I love watching Nafees bat, not because he's necessarily exciting to watch, but because his temperament is incredible. Never seems bothered, and rarely loses his head ala Ashraful or Aftab Ahmed.

Shahriar Nafees, I love you.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Welldone Shariar Nafees!!!
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Awesome innings. What an exciting prospect for Bangladesh for the next 15 years.

Really held it together on a two-paced pitch.

Kudos to Rainsford as well, on another day he might`ve taken a few more.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Yeah its a bit odd. I reckon the winner should get the luxury of avoiding the best ranked team at the time of the tournament, that being Australia.
    To be honest, I'd rather the chances of SL/WI qualifying from the India/Aus/Eng group than RSA/NZ/Pak.

England aren't a great one day side, and who knows with India. South Africa, Pakistan and New Zealand are harder teams to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I agree - and the danger is(although I don't think it will happen) is that with both already through one team might prefer to lose(SL lost 6-1 in India last year - might want to avoid them). Why not start the qualyfing round with SL v WI and Zim v Bangladesh - then all six games would have meant something. Surely the ICC should have learned from the match-fixing scandal that dead ODIs aren't a good idea.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information