• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Qualifying Round - Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Another bad start for Zimbabwe - btw, Dave Houghton predicted on Sky last sunday that Zim's tail would struggle against Gayle - and he was right - so what on earth will Murali do to them? CARNAGE ALERT!!!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samuel_Vimes said:
I think the point may be that he has a ton against New Zealand...
Fair spot. It did appear the way Marc read it to me as well but that explains it I think.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jungle Jumbo said:
You can only play against what is put in front of you.
Exactly, I mean he can't exactly get out with a low score just because he is playing a weak side. Good innings by him, I can see him being one of the best ODI openers after the WC.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
You can only play against what is put in front of you.
Well he's failed when he's played India, South Africa, Australia and West Indies. However, he hasn't played those teams enough (except India perhaps - 6 matches) to judge much.

oz_fan

International Regular
Bangladesh all out for 161 against the WI. Bangladesh started well but suffered a massive collapse thanks to some brilliant bowling from Bravo (14/3 from 10 overs) in particular. The WI are the darkhorses for this tournament, they bowled really well in their first two matches (admittedly against weak opposition) and certainly have the batting ability (Lara, Sarwan, Gayle, Chanderpaul) to make it to the semis. The only problem with the West Indies is consistency but if they can overcome that they are definately contenders.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Typical Bangladesh - start well, threaten to make a game of it, then once the good partnership is over - COLLAPSE! - and why didn't the captain and most expericenced player come in at 4? Wonder what Windies will do with batting order - stick with Gayle, Chanderpaul and Lara and risk them knocking off the runs or change batting order to give middle order practice before SL game?

Last edited:
Poker Boy said:
Typical Bangladesh - start well, threaten to make a game of it, then once the good partnership is over - COLLAPSE! - and why didn't the captain and most expericenced player come in at 4? Wonder what Windies will do with batting order - stick with Gayle, Chanderpaul and Lara and risk them knocking off the runs or change batting order to give middle order practice before SL game?
I think Bangladesh Cricket is also e,really really e.:p

Steulen

International Regular
10 wicket win for the Windies, another Gayle ton...allrounder extraordinaire, taking cheap wickets and scoring...uh...cheap runs.

Very impressed by their bowling unit...Collymore and Bradshaw are excellent ODI bowlers, they've got the raw pace of Taylor and Edwards, and quality back-up in Bravo, Smith and Gayle.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good stuff by Chanders to give Gayle his ton. If only I didn't have money on Chanders to score the most runs for WI this tournament. Only Gayle has more than him. :confused:

Oh well, many more matches for the WI to come.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Enjoying Big Chris Gayle ATM, West Indies have been playing well of late, hopefully they dont get into the group with Australia and England.

Xuhaib

International Coach
aussie said:
Enjoying Big Chris Gayle ATM, West Indies have been playing well of late, hopefully they dont get into the group with Australia and England.
Still undecided who you support.

Jungle Jumbo

Can anyone who saw the game tell me how Bangladesh bowled. I think the scorecard tells the batting story well enough: flashes of brilliance ruined by the inevitable collapse.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Can anyone who saw the game tell me how Bangladesh bowled. I think the scorecard tells the batting story well enough: flashes of brilliance ruined by the inevitable collapse.
Didn’t watch of all the second innings but the bits I saw the two opening bowlers started pretty well. The left arm seamer caused a few problems for Chanderpaul but his distinct lack of pace meant it was always going to be difficult against Gayle, who was just walking down the track and dismissing him. Abdur Razzak bowled ok, didn’t turn the ball much but good control and if the wicket keeper could catch, he would have picked up a wicket or two. Though in reality they were always on for a hiding for nothing considering the total they had to defend and the ultra defensive fields that were set.

Jungle Jumbo

TT Boy said:
Didn’t watch of all the second innings but the bits I saw the two opening bowlers started pretty well. The left arm seamer caused a few problems for Chanderpaul but his distinct lack of pace meant it was always going to be difficult against Gayle, who was just walking down the track and dismissing him. Abdur Razzak bowled ok, didn’t turn the ball much but good control and if the wicket keeper could catch, he would have picked up a wicket or two. Though in reality they were always on for a hiding for nothing considering the total they had to defend and the ultra defensive fields that were set.
Mashud's keeping has been really off-colour from what I've seen recently, especially off the spinners. A couple of years ago he was amongst the top bracket of glovemen, but his standards have slipped in the last year or so.

Steulen

International Regular
True, Mashud kept poorly. He put Gayle down twice off Razzak, one a difficult leg-side chance and the other a dolly after Gayle feathered one almost straight through, inches outside off.

Was impressed by Mashrafe, as always. He really is a cursed bowler. Bowls well, gets nowt.
Other than that, they don't amount to much and if Ireland can continue his impressive start, they might even lose to Zimbabwe tomorrow.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Zimbabwe have done the expected by doing the unexpected.

Terry Duffin has been sent home with illness, replaced by... Gary Brent! I always thought he should have been given more of an extended run in the side, but his batting never really fired like they wanted it to. He is 30 now though so his bowling will probably be at about the same quality as the likes of Mupariwa anyway (although he HAS to be better than Kamungozi!). He hit a century in Zimbabwean club cricket last weekend, although that means very little as I reckon I'd get a run in that comp.

All I can say about the selections in the last match is that Rainsford better well have been injured... I thought he was impressive against the West Indies and he had Gayle dropped a few times as well... what's the point of dropping your most impressive bowler when it's the batting that struggled?

Anyway, I hope Brent, Rainsford and Strydom play the next game. Justice looks in bad form but I'd stick with him.. Rink HAS to go.

Mufambisi actually looks like he has a decent technique even though I bagged him in the other thread. Masakadza has a test hundred against decent opposition, but watching him bat I wouldn't know how...he needs to get forward more and move his feet or he'll be a walking (or rather, standing a wafting) wicket. Taylor really looks like he belongs out there in international cricket - solid defence, good off side strokes.. I'm predicting a big one from him against the Deshis. Matsikenyeri and Chigumbura have been awful but I'd presist with them, reluctantly.

I'd go with this side:

1. Tafadzwa Mufambisi
2. Justice Chibhabha
3. Hamilton Masakadza
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Stuart Matsikenyeri
6. Greg Strydom
7. Elton Chigumbura
8. Gary Brent
9. Prosper Utseya
10. Anthony Ireland
11. Edward Rainsford

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL v WI - losing may not be a bad thing as it will give the loser a better chance of going further than the winner who has to beat Australia or hosts India to progress further.