• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Qualifying Round - Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe

oz_fan

International Regular
Lara finishes the match with two sixes after just fourteen overs. West Indies win by 9 wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
cricbuzz is still faster. CI is still at least 2 balls slower than live.
Well bearing in mind that they are doing it watching the TV in the office, it's always going to be slow - especially with the more detail they tend to put in.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well, cricbuzz has more detailed commentary and equal details more or less and I don't see why doing it from office or wherever should result in slowness. As a consumer, end result should matter for me as well rather than why who is slower. CI would win more on the credibility though obviously.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Zimbabwe are a disgrace.

The emerging Australian team beat them 3-0 in a series earlier in the year and that was on at the same time as the Top End Series. I think George Bailey scored 135 off 65 balls or something equally ridiculous.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zimbabwe cricket- Huge work in progress. They'll come right eventually, once they get some decent people at the top.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Zimbabwe were PATHETIC....and they won't improve until there's regime change there. David Houghton said on Sky they were'nt good enough...wow, Dave thanks for stating the obvious...but how could they be anything else? Think of who could play for them but don't...Goodwin,Streak,the Flowers,Ervine,Price,Benkenstein(he was born there)Taibu and Olonga with Houghton as coach...with those players they'd at least be competitive. PS - if their own board don't think they are good enough for Test cricket why are they playing ODIs and when(or even if) will they play Test cricket again? Oh and about Gayle...I think he was just bored and wanted to finish the "match" off quick.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Poker Boy said:
Zimbabwe were PATHETIC....and they won't improve until there's regime change there. David Houghton said on Sky they were'nt good enough...wow, Dave thanks for stating the obvious...but how could they be anything else? Think of who could play for them but don't...Goodwin,Streak,the Flowers,Ervine,Price,Benkenstein(he was born there)Taibu and Olonga with Houghton as coach...with those players they'd at least be competitive. PS - if their own board don't think they are good enough for Test cricket why are they playing ODIs and when(or even if) will they play Test cricket again? Oh and about Gayle...I think he was just bored and wanted to finish the "match" off quick.
Thanks for reminding me the golden era of Zim cricket, they were my favourite team to watch in the 99 WC.

Loots

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Great Birtannia said:
Zimbabwe are a disgrace.
A bit harsh, sure they really sucked against the West Indies - But that happens to every team on a given day, particularly if it is a young, unexperienced side playing against world class opposition. They have been having some credible results lately - Scoring 250+ against SA and beating Bangladesh in the ODI series in particular.

I know they are possibly the weakest team on the International Circuit - But the way that their players commit themselves to a near-hopeless cause and occassionally show some international class cricket is no disgrace at all.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loots said:
A bit harsh, sure they really sucked against the West Indies - But that happens to every team on a given day, particularly if it is a young, unexperienced side playing against world class opposition. They have been having some credible results lately - Scoring 250+ against SA and beating Bangladesh in the ODI series in particular.

I know they are possibly the weakest team on the International Circuit - But the way that their players commit themselves to a near-hopeless cause and occassionally show some international class cricket is no disgrace at all.
Well said Loots, everybody knows they are weak but if they can continue taking these small steps then one day they will be competitive again. But the infrastructure of Zimbabwe cricket is ridiculous.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Well, cricbuzz has more detailed commentary and equal details more or less and I don't see why doing it from office or wherever should result in slowness. As a consumer, end result should matter for me as well rather than why who is slower. CI would win more on the credibility though obviously.
Cricinfo has Jenny Thompson. They win. :wub:

SL bat first...443 in danger again?

Chubb

International Regular
I was very disappointed by the performance of our guys in the first match, but hopefully they can do better in this one. I don't think that we will win, but maybe put up more of a fight, get 200+ with the bat.

The problem is that whilst these young batsmen have talent (a lot of it in Taylor, Masakadza and Sibanda's cases) they have not had access to a strong first-class system where they can develop their techniques, and in the logan cup it's very easy to score runs- Vusi is probably finding it harder in Aussie Grade right now than he ever has done before. They'll get there. Eventually.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Tharanga a weak team bully?
Makes a habit of getting tons against the poor teams of ODI cricket (excluding New Zealand) but still a pretty impressive record the kid has. His only twenty one and he has already hit six centuries.