• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC appoints Hair for Champions Trophy

Should Darrell Hair be standing as an Umpire at Champions Trophy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Matt79 said:
I would say its a safe bet that Hair was asked whether he would be standing the CT. Given he is obviously convinced he's done nothing wrong, and is one of the most senior members of the Elite Panel, answering 'Yes' is a pretty straightforward response - unless he's heard something to the contrary, why wouldn't he be.

The ICC hasn't announced it. An anonymous source has briefed a reporter somewhere, which is different from the ICC deliberately stirring the pot before the hearing. You're assuming perhaps, that this was a sanctioned leak of the ICC's position on the matter, but it may be unsanctioned, and may not even reflect that position at all. For the ICC to come out and contradict Hair's statement that, so far as he's aware, he'll be at the CT gets us back to the problems of the ICC not wanting to undermine one of their own officials.

I think despite the media's understandable interest to keep this going, all these discussions and concerns are based on hypotheticals until the hearing.
I agree with that. I just assumed that the ICC had announced it when it was just an anonymous source. Given that I brought up the anonymous source, I probably should've realised there was no official announcement! My mistake.

Last edited:

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dasa said:
What I've been saying is pretty much what you've said above. I said before that it was foolish of the ICC to say Hair would officiate in the Champions Trophy before the hearing - it would also be foolish to say Inzy, as the representative of the Pakistani team, will play in the Trophy before the hearing.

I have already read that article. Again, they haven't said they will boycott the tournament if Hair is present. They have said it is one of a number of options.

Also, I don't appreciate being accused of double standards.
I'm glad we agree on that first point then. And that article carries as much weight as the one in the main post of this topic, the one being used as a sure sign of the ICC having appointed Hair already.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I support the decision in principle, if he is going to carry on being an umpire, you can't just stop him from officiating with subcontinental teams, so he had to come back some time.. If it's not okay for him to umpire anywhere in the world, then he shouldn't hold his current post..

What does concern me is that if any thing does go on, Hair could never point the finger or do anything about it because he obviously has so little respect now.. So he would go from being someone who pointed the finger whether or not there was any trouble, to a totally spineless waste of time who won't be able to assert any kind of authority on anyone..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Oh I reckon he'll point the finger, no trouble. The question is whether the security guys get to him before the mob does, if and when...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Yeah, as people have mentioned, it looks like this is largely unsubstantiated - in fact, in the very article cited, it reports:

"The official, however, said indications were that the ICC was not on a confrontation path and would adopt the policy of keeping Hair out of Pakistan's matches in the tournament.

"The signals we have got is they will hold back the announcement for the semi-finals and final and if we qualify, decide later. They will only announce umpires for the league matches now," he added."

In any case, the only thing that would really concern me would be if Hair was to umpire a game featuring Pakistan before the inquiry was resolved, because that would clearly be inappropriate.

Slow Love™

International Captain
It's also kinda funny that there was no "I don't know, I'll wait and see what comes up in the hearing" option in the poll. ;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
oh what the hell, let's wait and see what happens instead of assuming a lot of things...there are no good or bad guys in all of this, it's just politics....

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Craig said:
If any other teams, Asian or not don't do anything wrong then anything won't happen.
Well said and I totally agree.

Am glad the ICC isn't bowing to pressure but not allowing him to umpire but I think things will get interesting with the Asian teams. Guess we all just have to wait and see what happens...should be interesting either way..

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
Do you have an intense hatred of him JASON?
No I want uncontroversial , Neutral and Fair Umpires in Cricket at the highest Level , is that too much to ask for ?:blink: :wacko:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm actually torn. Part of me thinks it probably would've been more politic of the ICC to omit Hair on this occasion (no reasons need to be given, no blame on either side), but equally there's no way any country can dictate which umpires they wish to stand in any game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dravid said:
O great. I'm not a big Hair fan and just hope he doesn't cause anymore trouble without proof.
And how do you know he doesn't have proof?

The hearings not been held yet...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Before this thread got moved it was 2-1 against Hair standing at Champions Trophy. But since it moved here and the selective audience who come to this Sub forum , Hair is now level pegging with regard to his appointment at Champions Trophy.

This result is unreliable and grossly out of character with the view on the CW Main forum and cannot be accepted as a genuine vote based on the majority opinions on CW . :@

BoyBrumby

Englishman
JASON said:
Before this thread got moved it was 2-1 against Hair standing at Champions Trophy. But since it moved here and the selective audience who come to this Sub forum , Hair is now level pegging with regard to his appointment at Champions Trophy.

This result is unreliable and grossly out of character with the view on the CW Main forum and cannot be accepted as a genuine vote based on the majority opinions on CW . :@
TBF you seem to be doing exactly what Pakistan were guilty of: moaning about the arbiters of the competition when the result isn't going your way..... :p

Fratboy

School Boy/Girl Captain
JASON said:

I agree. It should be 2:1 in favour of Hair standing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
It was moved to the proper place for the thread - you can't have any complaints about that.

JASON said:
Any poll on here is extremely unreliable to be honest.