Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: West Indies, prospects?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    Theres no doubting that he has a lot of potential for his age. But for mine his 6 wickets against Australia wasnt well deserved because it was more poor batting than it was good bowling to be honest. There were few wicket taking balls bowled and plenty of poor shots all around. I think too much is made about his bowling when he doesnt do much other than get the ball to reverse a little bit. I like his attitude and never say die character but i also think that bowling is more about consistency and variety than it is about bowling the odd clever slower ball to Clarke.
    How much variety does a player need to be successful though? Bravo has a lot of variety - too miuch. He has a great slower ball and he uses it well. He's also proven that he can bowl a good yorker when needed. Then, as you say, he can reverse swing the ball. That's three big tools. That's a helluva lot of variety.

The problem with Bravo is that he tries too much when he should just be bowling line and length sometimes, without the variety.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    How much variety does a player need to be successful though? Bravo has a lot of variety - too miuch. He has a great slower ball and he uses it well. He's also proven that he can bowl a good yorker when needed. Then, as you say, he can reverse swing the ball. That's three big tools. That's a helluva lot of variety.

The problem with Bravo is that he tries too much when he should just be bowling line and length sometimes, without the variety.
    enough variety to be able to trouble batsmen in most conditions. Bravo doesnt have the pace to trouble too many batsmen, nor does he have the height. therefore hes more or less relying upon variations in his bowling to get wickets.
    Slower balls arent going to get very many batsmen out in test match cricket, no matter how well you disguise it. It maybe a useful tool in ODIs but in tests its not really worth much other than the odd surprise delivery. A yorker isnt really a variation, unless you want to call it a variation in length, which would be similar to saying so and so has a good bouncer. His one major asset is that he can get the ball to reverse, but even with that hes more or less restricted to taking wickets after the ball is 50 overs old, nor is he exactly a master of the art as someone like Simon Jones or Waqar Younis was. Yes as he gets older he'll add to his bowling in terms of variety, but to be honest with you, i dont ever see Bravo becoming anything more than a handy bowler that can break partnerships and bowl the odd decent delivery without ever being a strike bowler.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    i dont ever see Bravo becoming anything more than a handy bowler that can break partnerships and bowl the odd decent delivery without ever being a strike bowler.
    I don't think anyone expects Bravo to become a strike bowler. That doesn't mean he's not talented enough to become a really good bowler though. He takes wickets. If he can bowl economically between those wicket-taking deliveries, he'll have a lower average.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    I don't think anyone expects Bravo to become a strike bowler. That doesn't mean he's not talented enough to become a really good bowler though. He takes wickets. If he can bowl economically between those wicket-taking deliveries, he'll have a lower average.
    He may do so, but i think he is a mediocre one at the moment despite having a bit of potential and age on his side.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information