• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies, prospects?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
80 against sri lanka doesn't do a lot of good for their prospects....although there is only one way to go from here...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dwayne Bravo

I'm having some serious doubts about Dwayne Bravo as an ODI player, I know he is a superb fielder and has such great potential but he hasn't really done anything of note during the DLF Cup or the Champions Trophy Qualifiers. Here are some things I've dug up.

Last Five Game Batting Analysis:
8, 37*, 10, 8, 0
Average: 15.75

Last Five Game Bowling Analysis:
2/52, 1/16, 0/65, 0/28, 3/14
Average: 29.16

Apart from his spell against Bangladesh (where two of his three wickets were tailenders) he has been very poor throughout the qualifiers and hasn't really done anything to keep his place in the side. I was just wondering what the reaction is to Bravo's poor performances in these ODI's. Does anybody have any idea why he has been playing poorly? Just out of form or what? I mean the guy averages 21 with the bat and 32 with the ball, hardly stats that ensure his selection.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
to dismiss him as an ODI player because of his last 5 ODI's is a little weak. You and I both know that regardless of how talented a player is in cricket, they will go through a form slump. I've seen Bravo a few times and I think he's got a lot of potential, but it would help him as a player if his side won more matches too..he'd gain a lot more confidence.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing with Bravo is that his averages 21 with the bat and 32 with the bowl in ODIs. He never really done that well, but i guess he is one of those guys you keep going with, cus of his potential.

Perm

The last five ODI thing was used because they have been away from and in a tournament style format. I know he has alot of potential but I'm just wondering whether or some other people would be putting some pressure on his place. My thoughts thats all.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
The last five ODI thing was used because they have been away from and in a tournament style format. I know he has alot of potential but I'm just wondering whether or some other people would be putting some pressure on his place. My thoughts thats all.
I doubt there would be another all rounder in the Windies close to him, consider they are playing batting all rounders in Samuels and Dwayne Smith. If they dropped him it would probably have to be for a bowler and his bowling record is probably better them the others. But thats without having a closer look at who is coming through. The need to put him back at 5 (where he averages 60 odd, i think) and then worry about the rest.

Perm

Yea he averages 61.25 at number 5 after 8 innings there. That's probably where he should be batting considering it takes him a little while to build an innings before he can hit powerfully near the end. Wavell Hinds should drop down the order, he can really belt the ball and could probably do some damage near the end of an innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
i think Bravo is overrated with the ball and underrated with the bat. He can get the ball to reverse, but he doesnt have too many other variations and his accuracy is lacking. His 6 wicket hall in Australia for mine was a complete fluke while his century was well deserved. He has plenty of potential with both bat and ball given his age but hes got a long way to develop before he can consider himself a quality player.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
i think Bravo is overrated with the ball and underrated with the bat. He can get the ball to reverse, but he doesnt have too many other variations and his accuracy is lacking. His 6 wicket hall in Australia for mine was a complete fluke while his century was well deserved. He has plenty of potential with both bat and ball given his age but hes got a long way to develop before he can consider himself a quality player.
* haul

And no, it wasn't a fluke. Dwayne Bravo put in the hard yards for that. And to suggest that a 6-wicket haul against Australia in Australia is a fluke is pushing it a tad.

The thing about Bravo is not that he can't bowl accurately, but that he gets bored too easily. Too often he tries to make things happen at times when he would be better served to continue to plug away on a line and length. That's the kind of cricketer Bravo is - he tries to make things happen all the time. I don't agree with that mentality entirely though, as I believe that in order to be successful - especially in ODIs - you have to learn to allow things to happen as well.

The dismissal of Clarke today shows why he's so essential to the team though, because he can do things like that under pressure. He's the kind of character the West Indies team needs, because he seems to thrive under pressure and always seems upbeat, regardless of his personal or the team's situation.

With time he will mature, I have no doubt, and learn the service of bowling tight spells. Lest we forget, he just turned 23.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I wouldnt be suprised to see them retain this trophy, and suprise a few in the world cup. Theyve come off the back off a good series against India and played well in the VB, It might be worth putting a fiver on em down at the bookies

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies on a roll are very dangerous, but hopefully someone will cool them down soon.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
West Indies on a roll are very dangerous, but hopefully someone will cool them down soon.
Why? The West Indies deserve a bit of success. It's about time!

Perm

The last game against Australia showed me a couple of things and I think I owe Dwayne Bravo an apology. Well he finished with average figures of 1-33 of 6, that slower ball to dismiss Clarke was probably the turning point in the game. The way he pulls out this bits of brilliant is absolutely outstanding, but like Liam said earlier he just needs to be careful that he doesn't try and make things happen when he'd be better off plugging away at a line and length.

Brian Lara- what a great batsman to watch when he is in full-flow, out of the current players he would be one of the players that I would watch if I knew he was going to score a hundred. He is just so beautiful to watch.

And what was Chris Gayle doing against Australia? Was he taking hyperactivity pills or something? I was suprised to see such a cool character get so excited and wound up, he really needed to calm down. Those four overthrows he gave away was ridiculous and could well have helped Australia win, much like Brett Lee's beamer to McCullum in the Chappell Hadlee series last year.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
The last game against Australia showed me a couple of things and I think I owe Dwayne Smith an apology. Well he finished with average figures of 1-33 of 6, that slower ball to dismiss Clarke was probably the turning point in the game. The way he pulls out this bits of brilliant is absolutely outstanding, but like Liam said earlier he just needs to be careful that he doesn't try and make things happen when he'd be better off plugging away at a line and length.
Surely you mean Bravo? Dwayne Smith did nothing but drop the ball short all game and get out to a nigh leg stump half volley.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why? The West Indies deserve a bit of success. It's about time!
you are windies fan, so yes you will want them to do well fair enough, but i'm not i want other sides to win.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
you are windies fan, so yes you will want them to do well fair enough, but i'm not i want other sides to win.
What did my comment have to do with my allegiance?

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
everything..
No. Everyone should support the West Indies team out of pity. It's not like the West Indies ever had a good time in this game of cricket. True hard luck story, they are.