Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: West Indies, prospects?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    for sure, Baugh was looking good vs India earlier this year But Ramdin has a more level head, he should be recalled pretty soon.
    Granted I haven't seen Carlton Baugh play but I did see Dinesh Ramdin when he was touring NZ earlier in the year and he showed a lot of immaturity in his batting. Constanly sweeping Daniel Vettori even when a ball was there to be hit, I think that he was very nervous about facing him and didn't really know what to do. However against Australia he was brilliant at the Bellerive Oval in his partnership with Bravo.

Persist with Baugh and unless Ramdin does something to deserve the call-up then Baugh should be given a decent run.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Certainly need to bowl better than in the current warm-up game. Gujarat are 107/5 with 32 wides...
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm
    Persist with Baugh and unless Ramdin does something to deserve the call-up then Baugh should be given a decent run.
    In fairness, Ramdin looked pretty sharp in his last innings in the Stanford Twenty20 tournament in August. If Twenty20 cricket isn't a merit for ODI selection, I'm not sure what is.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Certainly need to bowl better than in the current warm-up game. Gujarat are 107/5 with 32 wides...
    The West Indies team doesn't know what "comprehensive victory" really means.

Good to see Bravo among the wickets again though. Lord knows, he needs some.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    There or thereabouts IMO, should not be underestimated.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

80 against sri lanka doesn't do a lot of good for their prospects....although there is only one way to go from here...

Dwayne Bravo

I'm having some serious doubts about Dwayne Bravo as an ODI player, I know he is a superb fielder and has such great potential but he hasn't really done anything of note during the DLF Cup or the Champions Trophy Qualifiers. Here are some things I've dug up.

Last Five Game Batting Analysis:
    8, 37*, 10, 8, 0
    Average: 15.75

Last Five Game Bowling Analysis:
    2/52, 1/16, 0/65, 0/28, 3/14
    Average: 29.16

Apart from his spell against Bangladesh (where two of his three wickets were tailenders) he has been very poor throughout the qualifiers and hasn't really done anything to keep his place in the side. I was just wondering what the reaction is to Bravo's poor performances in these ODI's. Does anybody have any idea why he has been playing poorly? Just out of form or what? I mean the guy averages 21 with the bat and 32 with the ball, hardly stats that ensure his selection.

Tim
    to dismiss him as an ODI player because of his last 5 ODI's is a little weak. You and I both know that regardless of how talented a player is in cricket, they will go through a form slump. I've seen Bravo a few times and I think he's got a lot of potential, but it would help him as a player if his side won more matches too..he'd gain a lot more confidence.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    The thing with Bravo is that his averages 21 with the bat and 32 with the bowl in ODIs. He never really done that well, but i guess he is one of those guys you keep going with, cus of his potential.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

The last five ODI thing was used because they have been away from and in a tournament style format. I know he has alot of potential but I'm just wondering whether or some other people would be putting some pressure on his place. My thoughts thats all.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm
    The last five ODI thing was used because they have been away from and in a tournament style format. I know he has alot of potential but I'm just wondering whether or some other people would be putting some pressure on his place. My thoughts thats all.
    I doubt there would be another all rounder in the Windies close to him, consider they are playing batting all rounders in Samuels and Dwayne Smith. If they dropped him it would probably have to be for a bowler and his bowling record is probably better them the others. But thats without having a closer look at who is coming through. The need to put him back at 5 (where he averages 60 odd, i think) and then worry about the rest.

Yea he averages 61.25 at number 5 after 8 innings there. That's probably where he should be batting considering it takes him a little while to build an innings before he can hit powerfully near the end. Wavell Hinds should drop down the order, he can really belt the ball and could probably do some damage near the end of an innings.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    i think Bravo is overrated with the ball and underrated with the bat. He can get the ball to reverse, but he doesnt have too many other variations and his accuracy is lacking. His 6 wicket hall in Australia for mine was a complete fluke while his century was well deserved. He has plenty of potential with both bat and ball given his age but hes got a long way to develop before he can consider himself a quality player.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    i think Bravo is overrated with the ball and underrated with the bat. He can get the ball to reverse, but he doesnt have too many other variations and his accuracy is lacking. His 6 wicket hall in Australia for mine was a complete fluke while his century was well deserved. He has plenty of potential with both bat and ball given his age but hes got a long way to develop before he can consider himself a quality player.
    * haul

And no, it wasn't a fluke. Dwayne Bravo put in the hard yards for that. And to suggest that a 6-wicket haul against Australia in Australia is a fluke is pushing it a tad.

The thing about Bravo is not that he can't bowl accurately, but that he gets bored too easily. Too often he tries to make things happen at times when he would be better served to continue to plug away on a line and length. That's the kind of cricketer Bravo is - he tries to make things happen all the time. I don't agree with that mentality entirely though, as I believe that in order to be successful - especially in ODIs - you have to learn to allow things to happen as well.

The dismissal of Clarke today shows why he's so essential to the team though, because he can do things like that under pressure. He's the kind of character the West Indies team needs, because he seems to thrive under pressure and always seems upbeat, regardless of his personal or the team's situation.

With time he will mature, I have no doubt, and learn the service of bowling tight spells. Lest we forget, he just turned 23.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    I wouldnt be suprised to see them retain this trophy, and suprise a few in the world cup. Theyve come off the back off a good series against India and played well in the VB, It might be worth putting a fiver on em down at the bookies
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information