• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The first to pull out?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Trescothick has asked not to be included - seems a strange one to me.

He's OK for the Ashes though he reckons...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Where did you read that?

My paper said he has made himself available, but is unlikely to be selected as he needs to work on his game at home, rather than continuing his abysmal form and taking it into the Ashes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Maybe he just doesn't like Indian food...

May as well rest him for the 4th & 5th ODIs then. Give Cook a go as he's the most likely replacement to open.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Maybe he just doesn't like Indian food...

May as well rest him for the 4th & 5th ODIs then. Give Cook a go as he's the most likely replacement to open.

Dead right. This now smacks of picking the tours that he fancies, which can't be the way to go. As I said on the England/Pak thread, I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Tres.

Going back to Marc's title for the thread, I would imagine that Harmison will want more time to rest his sore shins/back/whatever it is now. Beyond that, I can't see any other English players opting out. I'm actually surprised that fred is even being considered, tbh.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cricinfo article

Apparently Trescothick suffered some kind of intestinal infection in India (first time I heard of that as the excuse) which could be stress-related, and that he's had similar symptoms cropping up now, which is why he needs rest. You're inclined to think stress is an occupational hazard with being a professional sportsman, but it does seem like a plausible explanation for the poor run of form. It does make me wonder why he didn't say that in March though...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The ICC Champions Trophy is about as important as an ODI series against an asociate nation - the Ashes are more important in every feasible way.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
If he plays in the Ashes, I'm all for it.

These Ashes are the most important things since the Last Ashes. :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
nightprowler10 said:
Do the English care THAT much about the Ashes and THAT little about the rest of their cricket?
We care about all our cricket (apparently), but any Test series >>>> a random, meaningless ODI tournament.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
At least next summer it should be Strauss, Cook opening(in the test side)
I agree. Not because I believe Trescothick's past it or anything, but because this is twice he's done this in less than a year. If he wants to be able to pick and choose when he plays for England, he can **** off.

Wtf's a gastrointestinal infection anyway?

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
I agree. Not because I believe Trescothick's past it or anything, but because this is twice he's done this in less than a year. If he wants to be able to pick and choose when he plays for England, he can **** off.

Wtf's a gastrointestinal infection anyway?
Infection in the gut. Doesn't sound like the thing to bat through five hours with.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
so basically he ***** himself everytime he's asked to go to India.

Can England withhold part of his central contract?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Dead right. This now smacks of picking the tours that he fancies, which can't be the way to go. As I said on the England/Pak thread, I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Tres.

Going back to Marc's title for the thread, I would imagine that Harmison will want more time to rest his sore shins/back/whatever it is now. Beyond that, I can't see any other English players opting out. I'm actually surprised that fred is even being considered, tbh.
Completely agree with your initial point. Tres should now no way be a dead cert to start the Ashes. You can not be fit to play Pakistan but suddenly not be 'mentality' right for the tour of India. Whose to say he starts the Ashes has a poor couple of tests, then ****s off and leaves England in the lurch like he did in India.

Hopefully he does not take part in the rest of Pakistan series. There is no point of him being in the side if he does not go to India.

Last edited: