• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's 30 man squad announced

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Obviously James doesn't consider us Poms worthy of a thread of our own as he wrote the article! :p

England Squad
James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ian Blackwell, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Andrew Flintoff, Glen Chapple, Rikki Clarke, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, James Dalrymple, Ashley Giles, Darren Gough, Stephen Harmison, Matthew Hoggard, Geraint Jones, Ed Joyce, Jon Lewis, Alex Loudon, Mal Loye, Sajid Mahmood, Graham Onions, Kevin Pietersen, Liam Plunkett, Chris Read, Vikram Solanki, Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick, Michael Yardy

Link here:

http://www.cricketweb.net/article.php?CategoryIDAuto=1&NewsIDAuto=2232

Gough's inclusion the obvious headline grabber. I don't have a problem with it at all, myself. Reflects nothing more than the absolute paucity of other options.

Yardy is an interesting one too; I saw his part-time SLA stuff deployed in the 20/20s & thought it decidedly decent. Obviously the powers-that-be concur.

No Monty tho. Is there a case to be made for him? He's certainly economical enough.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised not see Tremlett Shah & Powell i there. But baesd on that 30, the squad & best XI i'd pick for the Pakistan ODI series would be:

Trescothick
Joyce
Bell
Pietersen
Strauss
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Read
Chapple
Harmison
Anderson

Back-up from: Gough, Mahmood, Cook, Loye

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not surprised not to see Shah at least. He was pretty wretched in the ODIs he played last winter; decent test debut notwithstanding.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From an NZ perspective, it's interesting that Jonathon Trott couldn't make the squad of 30. Considering that England must be aware that NZ are keen on him, i'm surprised they're picking other players I had never even heard of!

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No Dmitri? Still don't get that8-)

Still at least Kabir Alis England career is over.

I love The Fletch, but he can be maddening with his likes and dislikes, he looks for a cricketer who has that certain "something", but surely ages ago he could of realised that Kabir only had an uncertain "nothing".

I have nowt against the Dazzler * coming back, we have no options I'm afraid, Bresnan and Chapple aren't up to it IMO.

*funniest thing about Strictly Come Dancing was Tess Daly thinking that nickname had been made up for the show.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tim said:
From an NZ perspective, it's interesting that Jonathon Trott couldn't make the squad of 30. Considering that England must be aware that NZ are keen on him, i'm surprised they're picking other players I had never even heard of!
I'm not sure he's qualified for us yet, but if he did elect to play for NZ it would tool up his Warwcks contract as he'd be regarded as an overseas player. I guess it depends how keen he is to play for you.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
Gough and Onions - WHY?
Onions is 23 and has been in fine county form.

Plus, it makes for such lovely lines as "Onions brought tears to the loyal Lord's supporters." :dry:

Mind, Monty's fielding probably makes up for his economy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:

Plus, it makes for such lovely lines as "Onions brought tears to the loyal Lord's supporters." :dry:

Mind, Monty's fielding probably makes up for his economy.
:laugh:

I have to say tho, I saw him bowl v Glamorgan last night & he looked dead-set ordinary, Callum Thorp looked the better prospect; his being a crim notwithstanding.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
From an NZ perspective, it's interesting that Jonathon Trott couldn't make the squad of 30.
Why pick someone in there who wouldn't be qualified to play by then?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Never been impressed on the occassions I've seen him (although last night was the only time this season).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
Never been impressed on the occassions I've seen him (although last night was the only time this season).
Five-for v Middx and top four v Notts (three lbw and one caught behind, including Fleming for 11) in the past two weeks. Best wicket-taker for Durham too: 49 wickets @ 26.30 (only Lewis of England-qualified seamers has more)

Interestingly, though, his one-day season has consisted of 8 overs for 35... :laugh:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Five-for v Middx and top four v Notts (three lbw and one caught behind, including Fleming for 11) in the past two weeks. Best wicket-taker for Durham too: 49 wickets @ 26.30 (only Lewis of England-qualified seamers has more)
And Kabir has 29 @ 26.58 in 5 less matches. Does it make him good?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
And Kabir has 29 @ 26.58 in 5 less matches. Does it make him good?
A division below. :p Anyway, it doesn't matter, I'm sure Onions is 30th man anyway. (though, given England's injuries...)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Graham Onions
8-)
Another Mickey Mouse Durham lad.

At least Kabir Ali has been shown the door, expect to see him back for the WC.

Surprised to see no James Benning, also when we the selectors finally axe Vikram Solanki for good?

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
TT Boy said:
Graham Onions
8-)
Another Mickey Mouse Durham lad.

At least Kabir Ali has been shown the door, expect to see him back for the WC.

Surprised to see no James Benning, also when we the selectors finally axe Vikram Solanki for good?
I think that Mr. Solanki is being kept in the squad purely because of his fielding ability. It's not like he does much with the bat.