Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England's 30 man squad announced

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    He might have helped himself by staying fit for a whole season I suppose (not that Goughy hasn't missed the odd game).

hopefully thats the reason why the selectors have him down the pecking order lately.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Except he has been playing hasn't he?

Granted he missed a bit early season, but to put crocks and useless players ahead of him is a tad harsh.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Except he has been playing hasn't he?

Granted he missed a bit early season, but to put crocks and useless players ahead of him is a tad harsh.
    Isn't Tremlett currently injured again?

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Isn't Tremlett currently injured again?
    Dunno, but that hasn't prevented Anderson, Blackwell & Plunkett from being picked. Maybe Dunc just forgot about him?

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    Dunno, but that hasn't prevented Anderson, Blackwell & Plunkett from being picked. Maybe Dunc just forgot about him?
    Forgot about those but yes maybe Duncan has forgetting about Chris or considered how effective will a bowler like Tremlett be in subcontinental conditions. When you think that Steve Harmison a Tremlett like bowler will doubtlessly struggle with his length and probably line in India. I’m not advocating his none selection, I would have him in my thirty but Fletcher knows best I guess.

From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/5333960.stm)

There are three changes to the one-day squad for the Champions Trophy, with Flintoff, Anderson and Steve Harmison taking over from Alastair Cook, Stuart Broad and Darren Gough.

England squad for Champions Trophy: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire), J Anderson (Lancashire), I Bell (Warwickshire), R Clarke (Surrey), P Collingwood (Durham), J Dalrymple (Middlesex), S Harmison (Durham), E Joyce (Middlesex), S Mahmood (Lancashire), J Lewis (Gloucestershire), K Pietersen (Hampshire), C Read (Nottinghamshire), A Strauss (Middlesex), M Yardy (Sussex).

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cric...nd/5333960.stm)

There are three changes to the one-day squad for the Champions Trophy, with Flintoff, Anderson and Steve Harmison taking over from Alastair Cook, Stuart Broad and Darren Gough.

England squad for Champions Trophy: A Flintoff (captain, Lancashire), J Anderson (Lancashire), I Bell (Warwickshire), R Clarke (Surrey), P Collingwood (Durham), J Dalrymple (Middlesex), S Harmison (Durham), E Joyce (Middlesex), S Mahmood (Lancashire), J Lewis (Gloucestershire), K Pietersen (Hampshire), C Read (Nottinghamshire), A Strauss (Middlesex), M Yardy (Sussex).
    Australia and India will be quaking
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Oh joy, Mahmood gets in after 1 winning performance and 4 performances where he lost or had a good go at losing the game - brilliant.

Broad who was better overall and has far more potential is dropped...
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Mahmood is in for the same reason that Plunkett is selected in spite of lameness on the field - he has potential and is next in the pecking order.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    I guess also because Saj has toured India twice

Oh geez England why pick Rikki Clarke geez, if they want a seam-bowling all-rounder what about Mascarenhas. Foolishness..

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Rikki "****ing" Clarke? Dear Lord. For heaven's sake why? Broad cripplingly unlucky IMHO.

Can only assume Joyce has been picked out of guilt at us tooling up his chances of playing for Ireland in the WC too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    Oh geez England why pick Rikki Clarke geez, if they want a seam-bowling all-rounder what about Mascarenhas. Foolishness..
    Macsarenhas wasn't in the 30 though, so couldn't be picked

They've got Colly, Bell, who canm both turn their arm over, and batting all-rounders in Yardy and Dalrymple. Clarke was an unnecessary selection, maybe the selectors were trying to prove that they aren't stick in the muds by playing one of the biggest practical jokes since Udal got Tendulkar out

oh yea i forgot Mascarenhas isn't in the 30, but in that case they could have taken another batsman i.e Mal Loye/Shah or somebody.

Anyway based on the squad, hopefully they all are fully fit by the start of the tournament, my best XI would be:

Strauss
    Flintoff
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Dalrymple
    Yardy
    Read
    Lewis/Joyce
    Harmison
    Anderson

With Trescothick out & Flintoff likely to play as a pure batsman intially from whats being said i think he should open the batting for sure.

Lewis/Joyce - this selection depends on on whether Flintoff bowls or not, if Freddie can bowl i would not play Lewis but would play Joyce in the top 4 behind Strauss/Freddie/Bell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information