• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia 30-man squad named

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
i though he was doing a bit better thats why i mentioned him, thats why i mentioned him.
He had a reasonable first class season (flash in the pan kind of stuff). However, he's never done much of anything in the one day game, except a few good run outs.

social

marc71178 said:
Not at all arrogant a view that there...
I wasnt implying that Aus would win (given how they've treated Champions Trophy tourneys before, theyre at long odds no matter who they send) but that it's ludicrous to send your top players to the delibilitating heat of India for a meaningless tourney before the start of a packed season.

Let's face it, it wasnt long ago that the hosts themselves were considering pulling out.

social

marc71178 said:
Not seriously has that ever been mentioned over here.

If people are missing it'll be owing to the fact they're injured.
So Flintoff, Jones, etc are fit enough to bowl 20 - 30 overs a day by the seaside in OZ grade cricket but not fit enough to bowl 10 overs in India?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't there a report on Cricinfo that Flintoff won't be playing any club cricket in Sydney?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tim said:
Wasn't there a report on Cricinfo that Flintoff won't be playing any club cricket in Sydney?
Yeah, the club cricket thing has been pulled. Just a massive overreaction to a suggestion by Graveney (sp), that's all.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
So Flintoff, Jones, etc are fit enough to bowl 20 - 30 overs a day by the seaside in OZ grade cricket but not fit enough to bowl 10 overs in India?
They wouldn't be bowling that many overs.

There's a difference between being fit enough to bowl in grade cricket and International match fit.

social

marc71178 said:
They wouldn't be bowling that many overs.

There's a difference between being fit enough to bowl in grade cricket and International match fit.
Granted, there's a huge difference.

However, if paid, they would be expected to bowl a huge no. of overs.

Unlike county cricket, it's not a retirement home :p

aussie tragic

International Captain
With Australia's 18-man squad having to be trimmed to 14 before the start, which 4 will be cut?

I'm thinking the following ten will definitely play:

Ricky Ponting (capt)
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey (vc)
Michael Clarke
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk)
Brett Lee
Brad Hogg
Nathan Bracken
Glenn McGrath

Which leaves 4 to be cut from the following:

Damien Martyn
Matthew Hayden
Simon Katich
Mark Cosgrove
Phil Jaques
Daniel Cullen
Mitchell Johnson
Stuart Clark

adharcric

International Coach
With the competition in the Australian side right now, it's tough to say who should make the CT squad until seeing them all play in Malaysia.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
14 man squad will be (not should be) IMO:

Katich, Gilchrist, Ponting, Martyn, Symonds, Clarke, Hussey, Watson, Hogg, Lee, Bracken, Clark, Cullen, McGrath.

The Aus selectors generally pick bowler heavy squads and not worry about the extra batsman.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Great Birtannia said:
14 man squad will be (not should be) IMO:

Katich, Gilchrist, Ponting, Martyn, Symonds, Clarke, Hussey, Watson, Hogg, Lee, Bracken, Clark, Cullen, McGrath.

The Aus selectors generally pick bowler heavy squads and not worry about the extra batsman.

I pretty much agree with the above side, except I think Katich will be replaced by Hayden and I'm not sure about Cullen as with Hogg certain to play, Cullen would just be injury cover which we can fly another player in anyway.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
aussie tragic said:
I pretty much agree with the above side, except I think Katich will be replaced by Hayden and I'm not sure about Cullen as with Hogg certain to play, Cullen would just be injury cover which we can fly another player in anyway.
1) As much as I want Katich out, for Jaques not Hayden though, it's not going to happen.

2) The Champions Trophy is in India so there will be a good chance they take the two spinners and again while I don't really rate Cullen the selectors never seem convinced with Hogg, in and out of the side, and the spinners spot is one that is very open for the WC squad. I wouldn't mind seeing Mitchell Johnson again, he has improved ten fold since the NZ series.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
The squad for the ICC Champions Trophy is:

Ricky Ponting (captain) TAS 31 252
Adam Gilchrist (vice-captain) WA 34 242
Nathan Bracken NSW 28 38
Stuart Clark NSW 30 15
Michael Clarke NSW 25 82
Brad Hogg WA 35 85
Michael Hussey WA 31 40
Mitchell Johnson QLD 24 5
Simon Katich NSW 31 41
Brett Lee NSW 29 135
Damien Martyn WA 34 200
Glenn McGrath NSW 36 221
Shane Watson QLD 25 43
Andrew Symonds QLD 31 146

I was close. Mitch Johnson ahead of Cullen. Not a single Victorian or South Australian in the squad :whistling

Jaques deserved to go but it's not surprising the selectors failed to pick him again *sigh*