• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the Champions Trophy just a waste of time this year?

Champs Trophy: Do you care?

• Yes

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 59.1%

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
When sides are already talking about fielding second string sides so far away from it, how are we supposed to take it seriously?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tricky one there.

The thread asks a question to which the answer is yes, but then the poll reverses it - I nearly made an error in voting!

cameeel

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Tricky one there.

The thread asks a question to which the answer is yes, but then the poll reverses it - I nearly made an error in voting!
I did :ph34r:

The count should be 9-1, not 8-2

Matt79

Global Moderator
Its always a waste of time, but having it so close to the World Cup makes its even more clearly so. If they must have it, have it every four years, staggered from the world cup by two years, like the summer and winter olympics...

adharcric

International Coach
Do I care? Yes. I'll treat it like any other normal tournament.
Is it a waste of time? Yes. It takes up too much time without meaning too much, and we'll have the real deal a few months later.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Oops forgot to read the poll title: if you read the thread title, most people woud be inclined to say yes... like me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well...one can see it as a dress rehearsal for the world cup i suppose and it is a chance to the teams to assess the strengths and weaknesses of each other...

Swervy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Tricky one there.

ooops..sorry..should have realised

Anyway, I guess everyone thinks its a waste of time anyway. I reckon we should all boycott it and not talk about from now on:)

Blaze

Banned
The timing is poor...and I don't think it is a great tournament but I will still be watching any games on TV.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
Not at all - you phrased yours in the form of a question, and I phrased mine in the form of an answer.

Incidentally, it's the Champions Trophy that is the reason why South Africa are trying to play New Zealand
a) before the sun comes up
b) in the fog
c) in winter

so perhaps in a Pythonesque way, this year it's served its purpose.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The hosts didn't want it, teams don't want to play, everything points to yes it being a waste of time.

I'll still watch though, but why so close to the WC? Stupid.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The players and teams probably think it is a waste of time. However for the development of cricket it isn't a waste of time considering most of the money goes to developing cricket nations.

howardj

International Coach
I guess it's not the best time to have it, being so close to WC2007. However, the fact remains, it's still the only event (outside of the World Cup) where all the major nations face off against each other; at the same time; in the same conditions; in the most popular (spectator-wise) form of the game. That alone gives the event meaning. If one was to argue it's meaningless, then what does that make all the other ODI tournaments outside of the World Cup?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Conceptually, the CT is an awesome idea. But for it to attain the status everyone wants it to, I think it should be held every 4 years, just like the WC. And every second year, we would either have the CT or the WC to look forward to. That would make way more sense, IMHO. As far as this year's CT is concerned, I think it is going to be interesting because it will be a great preparation for the WC, as even the tracks in the Windies seem to be getting slower, just like the subcontinent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
as HB just said the idea of the tournament is very good, but should be helod every 4 years just like the WC. Every 2 years really doesn't make too much sense.