• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the Champions Trophy just a waste of time this year?

Champs Trophy: Do you care?

• Yes

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 59.1%

• Total voters

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
I actually stand by my originally misplaced vote.
Im suffering such severe withdrawal symptoms since NZ last played I'll take cricket in any form.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure what I have said before, but I think it will be important especially given the World Cup next year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It'll be a waste of time for India and Australia, as England shall embarass them

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Really looking forward to it, it’s international cricket. And sure are participation will not be for very long (you would think) but you definitely know the likes of India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and South Africa will be taking this competition very seriously.

Dravid

International Captain
In my opinion, this isn't the right time to have this tournament. The World Cup is too close for this tournament to take place. The hype and money invested into this tournament shouldve been given to the World Cup to make the World Cup even better. This tournament should've taken place after the World Cup.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wow so many have voted no. That's very unexpected on a cricketing forum. I thought it would be a given that most would vote yes. I certainly voted yes. Good competitive cricket IMO.

Langeveldt

Soutie
StumpMic said:
Wow so many have voted no. That's very unexpected on a cricketing forum. I thought it would be a given that most would vote yes. I certainly voted yes. Good competitive cricket IMO.
But when there is too much "competitive cricket", it ceases to be so serious.. If you had the ashes twice a year it wouldnt be such a big deal

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whats the Need for two "high class" ODI tournaments within 6 months of each other??? The fact that many teams will be experimention points to the fact that no-one really cares...and with the fact that we are seeing many players breakdown with injury due to the amount of cricket played, i don't think anyone would complain all that much if the trophy got the sack!

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think it is - I do support England and the Ashes and the World Cup are enough for one winter. It is far too close to the World Cup - why not hold it in the odd numbered years which don't have World Cups (2001, 2005, 2009 etc)

Natman20

International Debutant
IMO I think the Champions Trophy is good. It allows for some practise against international teams, invaluable to the world cup build-up. It gives an idea of form and possibly some teams would be able to experiment with potential world cup players. I don't think the players really worry about the result but I think they will be grateful to get a few games in against various countries. I think the champions trophy will help to show how countries are going in their build-up and to see some countries such as NZ come back after a long break and see if they can perform.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Normally I don't care but Aussie has been starved of cricket for months now *sob* so I want cricket!!!!

Plus it's a good forerunner to the WC - will give us a chance to assess teams' chances.

I will be watching - on pay tv :D

Nishant

International 12th Man
i think that it is quite important; it gives the teams a sense of the world cup...if u know wat i mean....plus its cricket so i dont really care. As an indian fan...india need as much cricket as possible to get back into touch. Although this does apply to a lot of the teams!

Slow Love™

International Captain
JASON said:
I have unfortunately made the cardinal sin and voted the wrong way without reading the Poll question. :oops: :naughty:
Haha, I just did exactly the same thing in reverse. The question above the poll asks "do you care"? and I answered "yes". The thread title contradicts it though.

I really like it, actually. Gimme the Champions Trophy anytime over a lot of the two-team or threeway comps. Love seeing all the major teams in there and competing, and the whole thing isn't as long as the World Cup, either.

In fact, I could live with having such a thing two years, and calling it the World Cup. I realise that we want to promote the game in the newer (to international cricket) nations, and that's admirable. But I like this tourney, particularly as it's no longer a knockout.

Slow Love™

International Captain
StumpMic said:
I think it's the clash of meanings between the thread's title and the question asked above the poll, so the results are ultimately meaningless.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
The old KO format would have been nice this format is too World cupish.
not to me, the KO format to me was crap, this format is more competitve.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
Haha, I just did exactly the same thing in reverse. The question above the poll asks "do you care"? and I answered "yes". The thread title contradicts it though.

I really like it, actually. Gimme the Champions Trophy anytime over a lot of the two-team or threeway comps. Love seeing all the major teams in there and competing, and the whole thing isn't as long as the World Cup, either.

In fact, I could live with having such a thing two years, and calling it the World Cup. I realise that we want to promote the game in the newer (to international cricket) nations, and that's admirable. But I like this tourney, particularly as it's no longer a knockout.
Me too. Firstly, love getting home from uni or work and having a cricket match just about to start almost every day of the week (sometimes two matches with the domestic cricket now on live on Fox Sports).

All those whinging about the tournament are just having a whinge for the sake of it IMO. I mean how beautifully set up is the tournament now? Pakistan and WI winning has really sent shockwaves into their respective groups. Anything could happen now.