• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the Champions Trophy just a waste of time this year?

Champs Trophy: Do you care?

• Yes

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 59.1%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
honestbharani said:
Conceptually, the CT is an awesome idea. But for it to attain the status everyone wants it to, I think it should be held every 4 years, just like the WC. And every second year, we would either have the CT or the WC to look forward to. That would make way more sense, IMHO. As far as this year's CT is concerned, I think it is going to be interesting because it will be a great preparation for the WC, as even the tracks in the Windies seem to be getting slower, just like the subcontinent.
what is the status that everyone wants it to attain though???
We already have a world cup.....if you want the CT to be every 4 yaers and the WC to be every 4 years, why not just have a WC every two years?
IMO have CT every two years by all means, but have a simple 2 group first round and the winners of the two group contest the final. Every team would play at least 3 games, and no more than 4, and it could be over and done with within a couple of weeks. We dont need another month long tournament which,lets face it, is miles behind in prestige to the world cup

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I definitely care about the Champions Trophy.

The fact that this is the only majorish trophy that New Zealand has won has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it....

Honest.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
The hosts didn't want it, teams don't want to play, everything points to yes it being a waste of time.

I'll still watch though, but why so close to the WC? Stupid.

yeah i dont see why teams aren't taking it more seriously, perfect oportunity to fine tune your WC squad.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Swervy said:
what is the status that everyone wants it to attain though???
We already have a world cup.....if you want the CT to be every 4 yaers and the WC to be every 4 years, why not just have a WC every two years?
IMO have CT every two years by all means, but have a simple 2 group first round and the winners of the two group contest the final. Every team would play at least 3 games, and no more than 4, and it could be over and done with within a couple of weeks. We dont need another month long tournament which,lets face it, is miles behind in prestige to the world cup
The Champions Trophy will have only 8 teams, the top 6 and two qualifiers from the next 4. Hence, it is the CHAMPIONS TROPHY. The World Cup will have a lot more teams, as any World Cup should (football is the exception, obviously).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
The Champions Trophy will have only 8 teams, the top 6 and two qualifiers from the next 4. Hence, it is the CHAMPIONS TROPHY. The World Cup will have a lot more teams, as any World Cup should (football is the exception, obviously).
But in that case, it's more like the Confederations Cup in football (which also has 8 teams) - and which nobody cares about.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
but the 8 are the best teams in the world... Shorter format and duration and lesser chances of comeback. It doesn't seem such a bad idea to me.

LongK

Cricket Spectator
Total waste of time. Its only there for the money. Equivelent(sp) to the commonwealth games.

Laurrz

International Debutant
say what you want... you will all be watching it no doubt

i like it... it'll let us know where Australia is compared to teams like India and Pakistan who have been really good... Esp. India... i think its gonna be India vs Oz in the Champs trophy final and there will be a massive crowd...the Indians like their ODI more than tests

the return of the pidge!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LongK said:
Total waste of time. Its only there for the money. Equivelent(sp) to the commonwealth games.
Actually I'd disagree there.

The Commonwealth games are great for lesser nations to compete on a global stage in some less mainstream sports.

They're also played in a great sense of good fun.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yeah, while the Champion Trophy was only recently made in the hope of making some money when not alot of cricket is played whereas the Commonwealth Games have a pretty good sense of tradition to them.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Whatever you guys think its a taster for the World Cup and we will probably all be glued to our TVs!
Plus its the only competition Australia haven't won yet and this time its on Indian soil, not somewhere where they have be very successful. Watching the Aussies (angry from their Ashes defeat last year) playing at their absolute best will be an attraction even though the end result may be meaningless

luffy

International Captain
Run like Inzy said:
Whatever you guys think its a taster for the World Cup and we will probably all be glued to our TVs!
As long aa you have Pay TV

Steulen

International Regular
If the tournament final turns into a dress rehearsal for the World Cup final, i.e. Australia vs. Pakistan, I might start taking an interest.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Tricky one there.

The thread asks a question to which the answer is yes, but then the poll reverses it - I nearly made an error in voting!
I have unfortunately made the cardinal sin and voted the wrong way without reading the Poll question. :oops: :naughty: