• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Anyway....

I'm glad Sri Lanka are performing well, they should really give all the teams in this group a run for their money.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
this is a tough group, really difficult to gauge who is going to go through....new zealand would be the weakest side in these conditions to start with...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big call about NZ being the weakest, our last series against Sri Lanka resulted in a 4-1 win. It's all about what team turns up on the day, with South Africa probably being the most consistent team in this group.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka to win this group quite easier, the only question is who is going to finish 2nd, my money is on a Bond lead NZ.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
For starters, im not sure if NZ, Pakistan or South Africa will capitulate to a bowler like Maharoof like the Windies did.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
For starters, im not sure if NZ, Pakistan or South Africa will capitulate to a bowler like Maharoof like the Windies did.
Im sure they will and im also sure that Murali will bowl a lot better then he did in the qualifers.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Sri Lanka to win this group quite easier, the only question is who is going to finish 2nd, my money is on a Bond lead NZ.
I wouldn't be so confidant , given the competition goes up several notches now.

I would say Pakistan will qualify definitely and the second spot is a mud wrestle between the other three , NZ, SA, SL. If Bond bowls a dream and Vettori and Mills/Oram - and the Kiwi batting clicks , it would be NZ and Pak IMO. :mellow: SL to beat SA to punish them for running away from SL and causing us pain. :@

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Perm said:
Big call about NZ being the weakest, our last series against Sri Lanka resulted in a 4-1 win. It's all about what team turns up on the day, with South Africa probably being the most consistent team in this group.
Their form in important tournaments and big competitions is not good and the record speaks for itself , hence the tag of "Chokers" by a well known Mr.S .Waugh .:)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure he will bowl alot better too. New Zealand and South Africa have enough right arm fast medium bowlers playing for them to know how to play them well, not trying to detract from his performance too much but he is hardly likely to rip through sides very often. I hope he does bowl well because he looks a real talent but I think he will be played comfortably enough and won't cause too much trouble.

Last time Muralitharan played against NZ he took 3 wickets at 49 and I'm sure our batsman will be confident when playing him. Also your claim that SL will win this group easily is pretty overconfident and ****-sure, we know that Sri Lanka are a good side but so are New Zealand, South Africa and Pakistan. It won't be as easy as you seem to think it will be.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
nightprowler10 said:
Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka? Dream group to watch?
You Bet !!

And Even if SL lost to Pakistan and NZ in close matches but beat SA by a whopping big margin I will be the happiest guy on this Universe !:cool: :) :happy:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Perm said:
I'm sure he will bowl alot better too. New Zealand and South Africa have enough right arm fast medium bowlers playing for them to know how to play them well, not trying to detract from his performance too much but he is hardly likely to rip through sides very often. I hope he does bowl well because he looks a real talent but I think he will be played comfortably enough and won't cause too much trouble.

Last time Muralitharan played against NZ he took 3 wickets at 49 and I'm sure our batsman will be confident when playing him. Also your claim that SL will win this group easily is pretty overconfident and ****-sure, we know that Sri Lanka are a good side but so are New Zealand, South Africa and Pakistan. It won't be as easy as you seem to think it will be.
I agree , Murali is not such a big factor as he used to be in ODIs , and most Teams have developed good strategies to deal with him by now .

Chris Riddell

Cricket Spectator
New Zealand will finish 2nd, behind South Africa. Pakistan will be a shambles this time around, and won't win a game. Too much off field controversy, surely they must not be fully focused on the game at the moment.

New Zealand will beat Australia in a titanic semi final, with South Africa losing to India in the other.

New Zealand will then lose the final simply based on home ground advantage..

Just stating my opinion, don't lynch me for turning against my county of birth!!!!

(P.S I hope I am wrong, and that they dominate until the World Cup Final! I'd like to see two World Cup trophies going to NZ in 2007, not just one.)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Chris Riddell said:
(P.S I hope I am wrong, and that they dominate until the World Cup Final! I'd like to see two World Cup trophies going to NZ in 2007, not just one.)
You forgot the World SoftBall Championship Trophy and Possibly America's Cup... any others I may have missed...:happy:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
wasn't that in new zealand? i qualified my statement with "in these conditions"...they are a good one day side but not all that good in sub-continental conditions....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am hoping to watch highlights of SL v West Indies game on Sky Sports 1 (NZ) from 9 PM tonight .(Thats in 1 hour and 5minutes time) :happy:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Anil said:
wasn't that in new zealand? i qualified my statement with "in these conditions"...they are a good one day side but not all that good in sub-continental conditions....
NZ beat SL and Pakistan in an ODI series in SL to win it not so long ago ... was it called the Bank Alfallah Cup or some such thing like that.

Xuhaib

International Coach
JASON said:
NZ beat SL and Pakistan in an ODI series in SL to win it not so long ago ... was it called the Bank Alfallah Cup or some such thing like that.
Yes but from what i remember the pitches in that series were more Kiwi type then sub-cont type.