• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

Xuhaib

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Helluva performance by SA, so now for whichever version of Pakistan turn up. You have to fancy SA for that one now, with them & NZ progressing to the semi's.
Depends upon the toss.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
CW report now up:

A superb display from South Africa’s seamers sent Sri Lanka tumbling under the Ahmedabad lights and flung Group B of the ICC Champions Trophy wide open. On another slow wicket, the Proteas stuttered to 219, but that proved far too much for the highly-regarded Asians as they could only muster 141.

With the prospect of a dewy outfield come the evening, Mahela Jayawardene won the toss and chose to field, a decision that appeared justified when South Africa were teetering themselves at 30 for three. Chaminda Vaas swung the new ball both prodigiously and accurately to remove both openers within nine overs. Jayawardene’s coupling of Vaas’ incision and a deft field placing was the key reason for Graeme Smith chipping to a short midwicket trap, while a brilliant catch from Kumar Sangkarra, standing up to the stumps, saw the back of Boeta Dippenaar. Sandwiched in between their dismissals was that of Herschelle Gibbs, who flapped unconvincingly at Lasith Malinga, and was caught behind.

South Africa rebuilt through the experience of Jacques Kallis and youngster AB de Villiers, who had been drafted in to replace all-rounder Andrew Hall. The pair dug in to add 80 together, mostly off the spin of Jayasuriya and Muralitharan, with de Villiers playing the latter with considerable maturity and tidy footwork.

Kallis failed to convert his start into a large score, and was stumped off Jayasuriya for 43, but de Villiers went on to make his second ODI fifty, eventually falling for an 88-ball 54. Mark Boucher’s 29 held the innings together after their departures, setting up a position from which Shaun Pollock (21 not out) and Robin Peterson (22) to club 32 from the final two overs of the innings and lift the score over 200. Vaas finished off with the exceptionally economical figures of 10-3-16-1, but the real damage was done by Malinga, who took four for 53.

The Sri Lankan top four – also incidentally the four leading scorers in ODI cricket this calendar year – had been largely responsible for their recent success, but they ran into a brick wall in the form of Pollock and Makhaya Ntini. Sanath Jayasuriya, unable to free his arms in his usual manner, received a poor LBW decision from Umpire Daryll Harper to give Ntini his first wicket, and he was quickly followed by Upul Tharanga and Kumar Sangakkara. When Marvan Atapattu isread Andre Nel’s inswinger, Sri Lanka were choking at 34 for four, and the soft underbelly of a top-heavy batting order was exposed. They rallied around Mahela Jayawardene, who carved out an unconvincing 35, but a mix-up with Tillakaratne Dilshan all but settled the match. Dilshan drove low and hard to backward point, where Gibbs produced a stunning dive and throw to Pollock at the bowler’s end, who launched himself even more spectacularly at the stumps to leave Jayawardene stranded.

Dilshan hung around to eventually compile 36, before he too fell victim to Gibbs’ athleticism at backward point. Chaminda Vaas provided the only real resistance to the South African seamers in a free-flowing unbeaten 29, as Nel, Ntini and Justin Kemp polished off the tail to complete a 78-run victory. The match ended with a slippery, dew-drenched outfield, but South Africa did not even have to resort to the spin of Peterson. Their pace battery of Pollock, Ntini and Nel was the perfect countermeasure to Sri Lanka’s dangerous upper order, and an undercooked lower-order was left with an Alpine struggle for victory. Sri Lanka, possibly second-favourites after Australia before today’s clash, now look set to miss out on qualification to the semi-finals: they must hope Pakistan can beat both South Africa and New Zealand by convincing margins to diminish their currently superior net run rates. South Africa must win against Pakistan to be sure of qualifying, but could still progress to the next stage if New Zealand fail to beat Pakistan.

Dravid

International Captain
Good report, nice read. Fell asleep during the match last night and just woke up to see the results. I'm shocked Sri Lanka lost this match tbh. After the way they bowled, it should've been and easy victory. Good bowling for Nel, Pollock, and Ntini to pick up the victory. Both teams are now 1-1 and either one can go through to the next round.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Everytime I watch Sri Lanka's Malinga bowl I always go 'what the hell his bowling action? Is it legal?'
It looks strange and REALLY dumb to bowl horizontally. I don't what the rules are but can't he make an effort and bowl vertically like everyone (well except Murali :p)

Dravid

International Captain
Alysum said:
Everytime I watch Sri Lanka's Malinga bowl I always go 'what the hell his bowling action? Is it legal?'
It looks strange and REALLY dumb to bowl horizontally. I don't what the rules are but can't he make an effort and bowl vertically like everyone (well except Murali :p)
Yes it is legal, and it's not easy to play either. If I was him I wouldn't try to change it because it still gets him a lot of wickets and makes it really hard for some batsman to play.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is round arm bowling and is very much legal. Only reason it looks odd at first glance to many is because it is a style of bowling which has almost been absent for many years.

Last edited:

winneer123

Cricket Spectator
sl is not out yet

if pakistan
wins against
nz and sa.
the points table will be
teamplayedwonlostpoints
pak 3 3 0 6
sa 3 1 2 2
sl 3 1 2 2
nz 3 1 2 2
so they will have to see net run rate
so sri lanka has

6.25%
to enter semifinal

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Nishant said:
i'll be extremely suprised if Sri lanka are going through now! Poor performance with the bat. Perhaps all the talk abt them being favorites got to their head. Anyway...it is cricket, so u never now. SL might go throgh on net run rate or something!
On last nights performance, SL do not deserve to go through !!

I hope NZ can beat Pakistan and go through .

I really don't think the whingeing South Africans deserve to go through...because the moment they lose they will blame the pitch, the weather or God ..:p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
winneer123 said:
if pakistan
wins against
nz and sa.
the points table will be
teamplayedwonlostpoints
pak 3 3 0 6
sa 3 1 2 2
sl 3 1 2 2
nz 3 1 2 2
so they will have to see net run rate
so sri lanka has

6.25%
to enter semifinal
I would rather a Team that wins at least 2 out of 3 games goes through to Semis than a Team that can only win 1 out of 3 games !!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
New Zealand really need to bat well today, from what I've read on cricinfo the pitch might actually be a good one to bat on with good even pace and bounce. I know the boys have it in them to do this.

Dravid

International Captain
Pakistan have won the toss and decided to bowl first due to the dew factor. Earlier today, chemicals were being put onto the field to prevent dew from coming on top of the grass, and keeping it on the bottom. I wonder if that is actually legal because wouldn't it tamper with the ball if the ball came in contact with the chemical?

Dravid

International Captain
Bowled him, early blow for the Kiwis. What a great in-swinging ball by Gul, but it was a really stupid shot. A good length ball and he tries to go for a 6 early on.

Dravid

International Captain
Another wicket falls. Good line from Rana, just outside off-stump, Astle gets the outside edge and goes to slips for another wicket. 23-2

Dravid

International Captain
Fleming top edges it for 6, ball hits one of the spectators in the crowd. I guess he wasnt looking, but some luck he has....there was no one around him, the whole area was empty, and it hit him on the head

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Mediocre bowling from Rana overall. He hasn't been the same since last year. Gul on the other hand is much better, despite the last over.

Steulen

International Regular
Three slips in place...they're really counting on seam and swing, it seems.

Let's see what Fulton can do.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is looking more like a test match than a one day match. Fleming has played and missed a few but he is willing to stick firm on his wicket and has really looked determined over all except for example the shot which resulted in an edge six. Gul has been spot on and there has been seam movement for both bowlers.

Very good cricket over all.