• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

dinu23

International Debutant
shortpitched713 said:
SL vs. SA will be the first very crutial match in this group, considering that its a must win for both teams. I'm tipping SA to just pip it, as SL will be too overconfident after the win, just like the match against Pakistan when they had just trounced the Windies.
the loss against WI had nothing to do with overconfidence. Pakistan just handled the pressure better than the Sri lankans.

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
NZ, Pakistan and SL all in with a chance of qualifying still.

NZ must put this behind and concentrate on winning their last game as do SL , who must beat SA and not get carried away by this win in the next game of this group on Tuesday at Motera.
For that game I would play the same team or consider Bandara in place of CK .

Overall I would go with the same Team for the game at Motera.
I don't think they'll chnage the team. we do have enough spin options even without bandara.

Lostman

State Captain
i would like bandara against SA as well, he did really well against them in the VB series and these spinning wickets will really suit him.

dinu23

International Debutant
Lostman said:
i would like bandara against SA as well, he did really well against them in the VB series and these spinning wickets will really suit him.
it is a shame that he's missing out on these wickets, but it's unlikely he'll play.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
dinu23 said:
the loss against WI had nothing to do with overconfidence. Pakistan just handled the pressure better than the Sri lankans.
And they had Abdurrazzaq. SL just doesn't have any big hitters in the tail. But I think SL will win over SA because SL is the better side at the moment. Also they beat SA at home in the test series 2-0. I SL have this match covered.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
It appears we've lost the ability to work singles. The first 20 overs were galling to watch - hitting fours were our only option for scoring. Ridiculous. I'm off to bed.
I'm a bit late here, but that is absolutely right. IIRC, in the first 15 overs we scored only ten singles. Our batsmen looked so utterly gormless out there. Surely, if you aren't scoring any boundaries (the SL bowlers were fairly accurate), then you need to start pushing the ball into gaps, dropping and running and simply working some singles? I'm sure we missed out on at least 30 runs in singles from balls bowled slightly wide or too straight which we hit straght at fielders.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Anyway, our team balance at the moment is a joke. I have no confidence in anyone, sans Fleming and maybe Astle, of scoring on the type of pitches we've seen this tournament. Our middle order is pathetic. Oram has an ODI average of 18. What the hell is he doing at number 6? There is no way whastoever that you can justify playing him in that position. And no, you can't point to his test average of 45.

Fulton has to come into the team, because we need as many batsmen as possible. I'd advocate dropping Marshall, but that would mean we'd still be short on batsmen (I really wish they'd selected Taylor in the squad. Maybe we can fake an injury to someone hopeless, like Oram?). Patel simply has to play on these surfaces IMO, ditto Vettori (plus he's our second best batsman :rolleyes:), so we can't drop them.

For the next game I'd probably go with:

1) Vincent
2) Fleming
3) Astle
4) Fulton
5) Marshall
6) Styris
7) McCullum
8) Vettori
9) Mills
10) Bond
11) Patel

With Gillespie in for Bond if he's not fit.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:
Anyway, our team balance at the moment is a joke. I have no confidence in anyone, sans Fleming and maybe Astle, of scoring on the type of pitches we've seen this tournament. Our middle order is pathetic. Oram has an ODI average of 18. What the hell is he doing at number 6? There is no way whastoever that you can justify playing him in that position. And no, you can't point to his test average of 45.

Fulton has to come into the team, because we need as many batsmen as possible. I'd advocate dropping Marshall, but that would mean we'd still be short on batsmen (I really wish they'd selected Taylor in the squad. Maybe we can fake an injury to someone hopeless, like Oram?). Patel simply has to play on these surfaces IMO, ditto Vettori (plus he's our second best batsman :rolleyes:), so we can't drop them.

For the next game I'd probably go with:

1) Vincent
2) Fleming
3) Astle
4) Fulton
5) Marshall
6) Styris
7) McCullum
8) Vettori
9) Mills
10) Bond
11) Patel

With Gillespie in for Bond if he's not fit.

That line up leaves us worringly light on seam bowling though, with only Styris as a third seam option. Furthermore, while Oram's batting has been dreadful, his bowling has been pretty good so far. I'm just a bit worried about Styris and Astle's ability to keep the pressure on during the power plays.

shortpitched713

International Captain
You could try bowling one of the spinners during the powerplays. From what I remember, Patel has bowled some good spells at the death, and Vettorri has always been good at keeping the runs down. I'd be more confident with one of them than with Astle or Styris, thats for sure.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with that is its way to easy to hit spinners over the top. Without the protection of fielders in the outfield, a batsman can just slog away with very little chance of getting out. What's more, it would be a waste for Patel to spend 3 or 4 valuable overs trying to bowl yorkers.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
StumpMic said:
And they had Abdurrazzaq. SL just doesn't have any big hitters in the tail
Hopefully Maharoof and Kapugedera fill that role in couple years time, its probably the area we really are lacking in One Day cricket, since Maharoof and Malinga have started to come of age with the ball.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A lot will depend on Gibbs and Smith. If those two click, then any score is possible. However, South Africa over the last couple of years have had a dreadful record away from home, and have struggled against spin in the past, so I'm picking SL to just edge it.

Dravid

International Captain
Sri lanka wins the toss and bowls first, as expected because the pitch is fine, but there is the dew factor and Sri Lanka thinks it would be better if South Africa bat.