• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Playing Bandara over Murali would be damn stupid and suicidal, IMO.

Murali's economy is down in the last 2 years, but what people who do not analyse these properly forget is that between , Mid 2005 and up until after the VB series, Murali was bowling during Power Play . This meant his economy rate was getting a hammering because obviously during Power Play spinners are easy to lift over the circle .

Murali was having to bowl during Power Play during this period because the support seamers to Vaas (and occasionally Vaas) was getting caned quite early on and Murali appeared to stem the tide better (despite going at an economy rate of around 5 and not his usual 3.7 odd - because the seamers got caned over 6-7 an over) .

So this needs to be borne in mind when considering Murali's economy rate decline .

Having said that he has definitely become less of a wicket taker in ODIs and more a run limiting bowler in ODIs . But unfortunately that is the nature of ODIs and if the others before him have failed to get wickets and a few batsman are already well set , not only Murali but even God will struggle to get wickets in ODIs and hence his role changes to that of a run restricter , with a hope of choking the runs to the point of making batsman make mistakes . And this often happens when the batsman take a risk or two , usually against the less inocuous bowler at the other end and therefore others get rewarded for Muralis hard work in choking the scoring .

Bandara's success in the VB series in Australia is a prime example of this .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Its official, neither Bond nor Styris will be fit to play. Ross Taylor is being flown in as a possible replacement if Styris' condition worsens.

cbuts

International Debutant
havent heard about bond - though u probally right

taylor should have been there in the first bloddy place. though he cant be part of the squad unless styris gets sent home. another good asset of taylors would be his part time spin. if greame smith can dominate, so can taylor

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cbuts said:
havent heard about bond - though u probally right

taylor should have been there in the first bloddy place. though he cant be part of the squad unless styris gets sent home. another good asset of taylors would be his part time spin. if greame smith can dominate, so can taylor
Why does everybody talk about this? Just because John Bracewell mentioned it once now alot of people seem to think that Taylor is a handy part time spinner. He is a very occasional bowler, that is all. Bracewell just has a thing with multi dimensional players.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Is this being broadcast on any radio that can be tuned into online? Really want to get some audio for it...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
NZTailender said:
Is this being broadcast on any radio that can be tuned into online? Really want to get some audio for it...
Its live on Sky , but not on radio as far as I know.

Dravid

International Captain
Sri Lanka bowling first. Have to wait a few hours to see Bond in action. Hopefully New Zealand can put up a good total and we can have a good game on our hands.

cbuts

International Debutant
Perm said:
Why does everybody talk about this? Just because John Bracewell mentioned it once now alot of people seem to think that Taylor is a handy part time spinner. He is a very occasional bowler, that is all. Bracewell just has a thing with multi dimensional players.
Never heard bracewell say this at all. i have picked this up from palying with him and watching him domestically

sideshowtim

Banned
I think rain may be the only rescue for NZ here! ;)

Nah only kidding, Windies were in the same spot a couple of days ago and look what they did. NZ better not give up hope just yet.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Five wickets down! I'm just a bit worried about about what Bond will do on that pitch.

What with all the glue, is it the first old-fashioned "sticky wicket" of the new millennium? ;)