• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
16 tins of Spam said:
:clap: Somebody give this man a medal. Totally agree.

Edit: Voltman, do you know Jonathan Millmow? If so, give him a kick up the bum for being so negative about our bowlers.
For me it should read like....

Edit: "Adharcric/Jono or any other Indian fan on this site", do you know SS? If so, give him a kick up the bum for being so negative about our bowlers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
For me it should read like....

Edit: "Adharcric/Jono or any other Indian fan on this site", do you know SS? If so, give him a kick up the bum for being so negative about our bowlers.

You had a typo:

Edit: "Adharcric/Jono or any other Indian fan on this site", do you know SS? If so, give him a kick up the bum for being so realistic about our bowlers.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
You had a typo:

Edit: "Adharcric/Jono or any other Indian fan on this site", do you know SS? If so, give him a kick up the bum for being so realistic about our bowlers.
Should I be scared, I actually laughed at your post! :huh:

Loots

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Very disappointing to see us get skittled like that, but I agree that it's good to see some pitches where the bowlers can get on top and make the batsmen work for their runs.

Having said that though, If Murali would have been bowling on that track, his balls would have pitched and turned to square leg.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a feeling a few of the pitches in the World Cup will be like this so things like fielding and bowling discipline will be extremely important. Those are probably 2 of New Zealand's better strengths in ODI cricket.

Chris Riddell

Cricket Spectator
Great win last night. Probably should not have stayed up to watch it - should be attending uni lectures in preparation for exams!

Bowling and fielding, top class. Patel is going to be the worlds next big spinner, providing he can bowl like that on more batter friendly wickets. Is any any relation to Dipak?

I still doubt whether NZ can win the tournament though, we can not have Fleming holding the innings together on his own every game.

Astle needs to CALM DOWN! Pure and simple. Get some drugs into him or something. The game last night proved that you do not need to bash the ball from the get go to make a competitive score in this tournament. Hopefully he learns for next time, and he plays a bit more conservitatevely. (Thats not spelt right is it)

The other top order bastman also need to value their wicket a bit more. They were soft dismissals, especially by those who played on to their stumps.

Having said that, bring on Sri Lanka. If we can improve our batting, we may just be a force this summer.

vishnz

Cricket Spectator
SL and NZ to lead Group B

I expect Sri Lanka to win Group B and NZ to be second (with a single loss to SL). In Group A, it will be Oz and India in that order. In the semis, India to beat SL and Oz to beat NZ. In the finals, Oz to thrash India.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
sideshowtim said:
Without Ahktar and Asif, Pakistan don't stand much of a chance anymore.
Please stop making such closed statements. Pakistan still have some quality batsmen and good reserve bowlers, and could well give Sri Lanka a fright.

(Raaaooooooo)

sideshowtim

Banned
Nnanden said:
Please stop making such closed statements. Pakistan still have some quality batsmen and good reserve bowlers, and could well give Sri Lanka a fright.

(Raaaooooooo)
I'm being realistic. Pakistan have a good batting line up but without their 2 best bowlers (and best bowlers by far might I add) they don't have a great chance of defending whatever their batsmen set up for them. Wouldn't be surprised if Sri Lanka lost to them tonight, I just think they no longer have a chance of winning the tournament.

You cannot win an international tournament with a pack of average bowlers.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Personally, I think Pakistan - knowing them - are more likely to come out and win it now, than if they had their full squad.

sideshowtim

Banned
I think the loss of Ahktar and Asif will greatly dent their confidence in all departments. It'll be a magnificent achievement if they win it from here.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Personally, I think Pakistan - knowing them - are more likely to come out and win it now, than if they had their full squad.
I think that's a pretty fair comment, we all know how flaky Pakistan can be at times but this could really give them a shake up and urge them to perform like they should be all the time. They have some world class players in their lineup and I wouldn't at all be suprised if they really got stuck in and won.

And in response to somebody's earlier question, Jeetan Patel is no relation to Dipak. Just both very handy off-spinners. Would be great it Fleming pulls a Crowe and decides to open the bowling with Patel, especially on these slow and sluggish pitches. With Patel's ability to bowl at the death he should be able to contain the batsman for a start. Just an interesting idea that I would love to see put into play.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yes! Great stuff NZ! Mills certainly turning into an excellent ODI bowler now (never thought I'd say that!)

Jeetan owled great as well, even if most of his wickets were tailenders.

SA was the team I was the most worried about. Now that we've beaten them, I'm very confident about our chances. :cool:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Perm said:
I think that's a pretty fair comment, we all know how flaky Pakistan can be at times but this could really give them a shake up and urge them to perform like they should be all the time. They have some world class players in their lineup and I wouldn't at all be suprised if they really got stuck in and won.

And in response to somebody's earlier question, Jeetan Patel is no relation to Dipak. Just both very handy off-spinners. Would be great it Fleming pulls a Crowe and decides to open the bowling with Patel, especially on these slow and sluggish pitches. With Patel's ability to bowl at the death he should be able to contain the batsman for a start. Just an interesting idea that I would love to see put into play.
Wouldn`t make heaps of sense when the Kiwis have three bowlers who love the new-ball.

sideshowtim

Banned
Oh for gods sake. Smith needs to learn to shut his mouth. If one day cricket needs anything, It's more pitches where the bowlers are given a chance. Does Smith expect every pitch to be a batting paradise? Very stupid.

I think these pitches are great, sorts out the great batsmen from the average and gives the bowlers a real chance. I hate Smith.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Presuming Bond & Styris recover by Friday, this will be our team:

Fleming
Vincent
Astle
Marshall
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond
Patel

I think it's unlikely Gillespie will get a go now considering Franklin actually did a pretty good job against South Africa.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
As I said before, Smith and co have had experience before on these types of pitches. They should have known what was required. All it needed was for Smith to keep batting once he was in and for the rest of the team to stay in and chip it around.