• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

James

Cricket Web Owner
For discussion around Group A which consists of India, England, Australia and Qualifier 1

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm backing Qualifier 1 just quietly. They look the goods on paper, and I think they will deliver on the big stage.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
With England's recent ODi form, we should have no problems against minnows like India and Australia, especially if Solankia, Kabir Ali, Gareth Batty, Ian Blackwell, Liam Plunkett and all our other superstars remain in their current rich veins of form. England to go all the way.

[disclaimer - by all the way, I mean it in a strictly idotic sense, and I am indeed, an idiot]

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well it doesn't seem as if England will take their big guns to this tournament so in this group obviously Australia & India will come out.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We crash out, get a nice break before the Ashes. Sorted.

Let's take Solanki, Kabir and Batty.

(Hmm... this is the same completely defeatist attitude I had before ECFC v Crawley on Tuesday night. We won that 4-0.)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
We crash out, get a nice break before the Ashes. Sorted.

Let's take Solanki, Kabir and Batty.

(Hmm... this is the same completely defeatist attitude I had before ECFC v Crawley on Tuesday night. We won that 4-0.)
Rikki to captain the side to glorious ignominy.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Jaques
Katich
Cosgrove
Watson
D.Hussey
Lehmann (c)
Haddin
Hogg
Bracken
S.Clark
Johnson

Give the ashes boys a rest. Didn't this use to be a knockout tournament? Why change it to the same format as the WC? It's a waste of time.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Possible Side

Matt Prior+
Kadeer Ali
Vikram Solanki
Bilal Shafayat
Rikki Clarke*
Wes Durston
Ian Blackwell
Gareth Batty
John Lewis
Kabir Ali
Alex Wharf

Should be enough to get through. The likes of Durston, Averis and Maunders can round of the squad, though maybe Snape deserves another chance

adharcric

International Coach
Actually James, to be consistent with the schedule, it should be Qualifier 2 in this group, ie the worse of the two qualifers. Similarly, Q1 should be in Group B.

adharcric

International Coach
Clarke*, Jacques, Katich, Cosgrove, Symonds, Hodge, batsman, Watson/Hopes, Haddin+, Hogg, Cullen, Bracken, Clark, Johnson, Dorey

Gilchrist, Ponting, Martyn, Hussey, Lee and McGrath get a rest.
I reckon they'll still send out a pretty strong side, which this is.

cameeel

International Captain
Poms and India to qualify

If Australia rest 6 or so players, which i think they should.

Otherwise, Aus and India will make it through

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
even though Gilchrist said the other day players should be rested going into the ashes, it really wont be that smart since Australia will need to play as much cricket as they can before the ashes or else they will have a similar build up to the last ashes series were they stuggled in the initial stages of natwest series & that was just a 2 month break from the NZ tour.

Imagine what will happen if they dont play any cricket other than a few pura & ING cup matches before the Gabba test, that would not be wise at all and i don't expect the selectors to make such a foolish mistake.

adharcric

International Coach
You've made a good point aussie. Australia's next test match will be at Brisbane to kick off the Ashes, but they should at least get some general match practice against international opposition. Otherwise, they have a SEVEN MONTH layoff. That is ridiculous.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They'll take their strongest side. Gilchrist was trying to suggest that they should do what England is planning on doing, which would be extreme stupidity seeing as England actually have their own summer from which to recover from. Aus don't have any cricket between tomorrow and CT.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If the Aussies don't send their strongest side to this tourny, I see an England win at the Gabba in the first test. Even the best players play poorly when they are rusty. No one is an exception to that rule.

adharcric

International Coach
Alright guys, say no foolish-resting takes place.

Is this a reasonable expectation for the Aussie 15-man squad?

Ponting (c), Gilchrist (vc), Katich, Jacques, Martyn/Cosgrove, Clarke, Symonds, Hussey, Watson/Hopes, Hogg, Cullen, McGrath, Lee, Bracken, Clark

adharcric

International Coach
As for India, how about this for a 15-man squad?

Dravid (c), Sehwag (vc), Tendulkar, Uthappa/Dhawan, Yuvraj, Raina, Kaif/Rao, Dhoni, Harbhajan, Powar, Pathan, Sreesanth, Munaf, Agarkar, RPS

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Alright guys, say no foolish-resting takes place.

Is this a reasonable expectation for the Aussie 15-man squad?

Ponting (c), Gilchrist (vc), Katich, Jacques, Martyn/Cosgrove, Clarke, Symonds, Hussey, Watson/Hopes, Hogg, Cullen, McGrath, Lee, Bracken, Clark
Looks good. I'd think there's a fair chance that Johnson might get a go though. I don't think Australia will rest anyone as such, but they might try out a couple of newer guys for the world cup, particularly against the qualifier.

cricketboy29

International Regular
adharcric said:
As for India, how about this for a 15-man squad?

Dravid (c), Sehwag (vc), Tendulkar, Uthappa/Dhawan, Yuvraj, Raina, Kaif/Rao, Dhoni, Harbhajan, Powar, Pathan, Sreesanth, Munaf, Agarkar, RPS
Im liking it, dont think they're going to give dhawan a chance though..and I think they may pick kaif over rao.