Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 122 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    By that logic, Watson shouldn't be playing, nor should Mahmood, Katich, Munaf or Harmison. Second chances not your style, Marcus?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    Why on earth would anyone pick Mahmood? And its incredibly absurd to pick Mahmood over someone like Lewis. At least not when one bowler has an ER of 6.38 which makes the zimbabwian and bangladeshi bowlers looks brilliant.
    Agreed totaly, i really hate the way Lewis gets completely ignored by everyone.

What's he done wrong? He was our best bowler by a mile against Pakistan, he got a hell of a lot better figures than Mahmood all the way through the series and gets ignored by everyone then when Mahmood takes 2 wickets in the last match (as opposed to Lewis' 1-27 of ten) he gets the headline and everyone goes on about how amazing he is.

Lewis deserves his chance, he's the only one of the current England bowlers that can bowl a consistent line and length which is what we need in ODIs.

And to anyone who wants Katich in the Aus side over Hayden, ask yourself this- Who would England rather see opening the batting against them on Sunday? Matthew Hayden or Simon Katich?

I don't know how on earth Katich is veiwed as being over Hayden right now.

Why do i get the feeling that india are gonna thrash england tommarrow???
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

> > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

With windies in the group, i would say india and Australia could easily walk to the semi-finals......this group isnt hard to predict. Unless Chris Gayle has something special for us, we might see a upset, u never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Birtannia
    I would leave Watson out for the first match, I think he will struggle with the ball on the flat decks in India. Katich does deserve the chance to hold his place, ahead of Watson opening anyway which really shouldn't be a long term option, and I think with Gilly rusty and Ponting's record in India, Martyn's experience and his ability against spin bowling will be valuable in the conditions.
    Well Watson opened in the warm-up so maybe the selectors see him as opener option for the time being. I dont think Watson's bowling will struggle that much, the pitch & conditions in malaysia look fairly similar to India so i think his bowling will go ok.

Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket
    With windies in the group, i would say india and Australia could easily walk to the semi-finals......this group isnt hard to predict. Unless Chris Gayle has something special for us, we might see a upset, u never know.
    Don't under-rate England, they may have a poor ODI record but they have a great work ethic and could easily upset someone, they managed to keep a full-strenght Pakistan side 2-2 with a weakened side of there own just recently which was a superb effort IMO.

Australia are the only side who one can safely say will qualify for sure, India's form of late has been poor & the Windies are extremely unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    Why on earth would anyone pick Mahmood? And its incredibly absurd to pick Mahmood over someone like Lewis. At least not when one bowler has an ER of 6.38 which makes the zimbabwian and bangladeshi bowlers looks brilliant.
    Yea i know his ER is high and is proned to bowling erratic spells, but he showed in the latter part of the ODI's in England this year that once he gets it right he can be very effective. It will be a close decision on who England pick between Mahmood/Lewis 2moro morning but i figure it will be Mahmood since fletcher and the selectors have showed even through his stuggles in the ODI's recently they have great belief in the bloke.

International Debutant
    as an aussie fan, who should i go for? Initially i'd say India

but if i went for England would it help Australias chances of getting thru ? i am confused lol

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I'm predicting a few big defeats for England with atleast one competitive game, more than likely against the West Indies. Australia and India will probably qualify unless Gayle and Sarwan have something to say about it.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I would rather have India going through with Australia personally, they have a great record of making finals then choking
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    Well Watson opened in the warm-up so maybe the selectors see him as opener option for the time being. I dont think Watson's bowling will struggle that much, the pitch & conditions in malaysia look fairly similar to India so i think his bowling will go ok.

Watson will probably play the first game, how long he lasts will depend on how well he does. I dont think his bowling will be used as much as it would elsewhere, Symonds and Clarke will bowl more then usual i would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    So it has nothing to do with his less than great record thus far then?
    Please consider actually watching cricketers in action before commenting on them.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Please consider actually watching cricketers in action before commenting on them.
    When defending Mahmood's selection in the England squad, he had said the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Mahmood is in for the same reason that Plunkett is selected in spite of lameness on the field - he has potential and is next in the pecking order.
    So it is a bit surprising he cannot understand your anguish and Sressanth's non selection regardless of his record. You gave a similar (if not the same) reason in your remark for why you felt Sreesanth should have been selected:

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    They dropped India's most promising pacer for what is virtually a preparation for the World Cup.
    Last edited by Pratters; 14-10-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket
    Umm no?I'd say Australia and West Indies. England are crap in ODIs and the WI have India in the palm of their hands.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    India wins toss and decides to field. Freddy says England would have bowled any way.

Page 6 of 122 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information