• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
godofcricket said:
With windies in the group, i would say india and Australia could easily walk to the semi-finals......this group isnt hard to predict. Unless Chris Gayle has something special for us, we might see a upset, u never know.
Don't under-rate England, they may have a poor ODI record but they have a great work ethic and could easily upset someone, they managed to keep a full-strenght Pakistan side 2-2 with a weakened side of there own just recently which was a superb effort IMO.

Australia are the only side who one can safely say will qualify for sure, India's form of late has been poor & the Windies are extremely unpredictable.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Why on earth would anyone pick Mahmood? And its incredibly absurd to pick Mahmood over someone like Lewis. At least not when one bowler has an ER of 6.38 which makes the zimbabwian and bangladeshi bowlers looks brilliant.
Yea i know his ER is high and is proned to bowling erratic spells, but he showed in the latter part of the ODI's in England this year that once he gets it right he can be very effective. It will be a close decision on who England pick between Mahmood/Lewis 2moro morning but i figure it will be Mahmood since fletcher and the selectors have showed even through his stuggles in the ODI's recently they have great belief in the bloke.

Laurrz

International Debutant
as an aussie fan, who should i go for? Initially i'd say India

but if i went for England would it help Australias chances of getting thru ? i am confused lol

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm predicting a few big defeats for England with atleast one competitive game, more than likely against the West Indies. Australia and India will probably qualify unless Gayle and Sarwan have something to say about it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I would rather have India going through with Australia personally, they have a great record of making finals then choking ;)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Well Watson opened in the warm-up so maybe the selectors see him as opener option for the time being. I dont think Watson's bowling will struggle that much, the pitch & conditions in malaysia look fairly similar to India so i think his bowling will go ok.

Watson will probably play the first game, how long he lasts will depend on how well he does. I dont think his bowling will be used as much as it would elsewhere, Symonds and Clarke will bowl more then usual i would expect.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
adharcric said:
Please consider actually watching cricketers in action before commenting on them.
When defending Mahmood's selection in the England squad, he had said the following:

Marc said:
Mahmood is in for the same reason that Plunkett is selected in spite of lameness on the field - he has potential and is next in the pecking order.
So it is a bit surprising he cannot understand your anguish and Sressanth's non selection regardless of his record. You gave a similar (if not the same) reason in your remark for why you felt Sreesanth should have been selected:

adharcric said:
They dropped India's most promising pacer for what is virtually a preparation for the World Cup.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
godofcricket said:
With windies in the group, i would say india and Australia could easily walk to the semi-finals......this group isnt hard to predict. Unless Chris Gayle has something special for us, we might see a upset, u never know.
Umm no?I'd say Australia and West Indies. England are crap in ODIs and the WI have India in the palm of their hands.

PY

International Coach
age_master said:
I would rather have India going through with Australia personally, they have a great record of making finals then choking ;)
*cough* :p

Awesome, haven't heard Jeremy Coney on commentary for ages. I really rate his analysis! :)

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Bell back in the hutch already (albeit a tad unlucky) and Strauss looking a walking wicket, not looking good already

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What are thinking of our bowling attack (& I use the phrase loosely, obviously)? Even if Saj, Jimmy & Harmy get thru their allotted ten (which is far from a given for me) we have to conjour 20 overs from Yardy, Dalrymple, Colly, KP & Bell.

With the Indian batters it could be sheer murder. Lewis would be right to be jarred off at being left out.

chalky

International Debutant
Typical ODI start from England lose early wickets score at a slow rate and make a complete hash of the power plays.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This seems such a superb wicket to bat on with the ball coming on nicely to the bat. India has bowled very well getting good swing but England has been clueless.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is pretty much India's best team, with Sreesanth to substitute any one of the pacers if they are out of form, or Powar if its a pace friendly wicket.

Good selection by India, just wish Sreesanth was in the squad.

Awesome start by the bowlers, not giving the English batsmen an inch.