• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

tooextracool

International Coach
sideshowtim said:
How can England be so good at one form of the game but so terribly bad at the other? Poor show England. Hopefully this dents their confidence for when we meet up with them.
because the selectors are a bunch of clowns, a point well proven when you look at the fact that Lewis was left out for the side in what would have been perfect conditions for him for the 'can i get any worse' Sajid Mahmood.
Dont be surprised if someone like Yardy gets dropped for Lewis next game either, just to continue Fletchers love affair with Mahmood.

tooextracool

International Coach
Gajanayake said:
From what I've heard in the reports, Fletcher feels Mahmood's speed and bounce would be more effective than Lewis in Indian conditions.

I think Mahmood will start against India in Jaipur.
Speed and bounce is only useful when you can land the ball around the stumps. As such Mahmood has never been able to that his entire life for more than 2 balls in a row. As mentioned before there is no substitute for line and length and Lewis offers exactly that in ODI cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Yea i know his ER is high and is proned to bowling erratic spells, but he showed in the latter part of the ODI's in England this year that once he gets it right he can be very effective. It will be a close decision on who England pick between Mahmood/Lewis 2moro morning but i figure it will be Mahmood since fletcher and the selectors have showed even through his stuggles in the ODI's recently they have great belief in the bloke.
How is it a close decision??! Lewis has had one bad game in his entire ODI career, Mahmood has had one good game. Clearly theres a clear case of selection for the latter.

tooextracool

International Coach
For the next ODI i think England should stick with the same ODI side except for the Lewis/Mahmood change. Lewis and Anderson need to take the new ball with Harmison first change IMO. Id also have Yardy bat at 6 and push Collingwood up to 4.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
I said it last month and many people here jumped on me for that. wanrt me to locate the posts ??

:)
With all due respect SJS, you said he should play ahead of Harbhajan, and Harbhajan ended up saving our asses in the DLF Cup with runs and wickets and took a man of the match performance.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
To be fair to him though it would be hard to drop him after 10-2-24-2, 22* and MOM.
While it obviously made more sense to drop someone with an average of 16.71 @3.16 in his last series.......

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i would say England batted poorly, but i'd say Indian bowled very well. Its surprising to see how much swing was around especially in sub-continent conditions. If England could have gotten to 200 at least i really think they had the bowling to win.

All is not lost, but its going to be hard for England to qualify now..

sideshowtim

Banned
tooextracool said:
Graeme Hick is streets better than any batsman in this England side. And hed probably compete for the best fielder as well.
You left out the fact that he's a medium pace bully, he can't play high quality bowling and he is so mentally weak that it's not funny.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
I`ve read up to Page 11, and I don`t think anyone is talking about Pathan. Except Aussie with yet another God-like prediction.

He`s bowled amazingly when you conisder the utter crap he`s bowled in his last dozen matches. Credit where credit is due? He`s bowling a tad quicker than usual and swinging it a bit. A bit of the old Pathan. :)
He's back home and he used the conditions that he is accustomed to well, surprised me today for real. But his pace wasn't very different to what he has been bowling all year..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
because the selectors are a bunch of clowns, a point well proven when you look at the fact that Lewis was left out for the side in what would have been perfect conditions for him for the 'can i get any worse' Sajid Mahmood.
Well to be fair to Fletcher and the selectors i don't think they or many people expected to see so much seam movement.

adharcric

International Coach
Jono said:
Well 1 out of 10 ODI matches help seamers, so yeah in that match I'd have Sreesanth in for Powar I guess. But otherwise, choose 3 of Irfan, Munaf, Ajit and Sreesanth, and then have Harbhajan and Powar.

Kumble is probably gone, and I think that's for the best. Need to keep the man fit for test cricket as long as possible.
Definitely agree with you there, but do you think we should always play five bowlers if Pathan is in form? If we only play four bowlers, we can play both Mongia and Raina. Tough choice between Agarkar and Sreesanth and I'm not sure if we should go with four seamers and Bhajji or three seamers and Bhajji on a greentop. I used to think that Kumble will be back (as suggested by the selectors) but now I don't really want him back. He'll most likely be a short-term choice and may hurt us in the field and with the bat whereas Powar has been with the team for a while now.

tooextracool

International Coach
sideshowtim said:
You left out the fact that he's a medium pace bully, he can't play high quality bowling and he is so mentally weak that it's not funny.
Yet he was apparently good enough to score 2 100s at an average of 39.33 in ODIs against Australia. Not to mention of course how many quality bowlers- Donald, Pollock, Devilliers, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop, Mcdermott, Fleming etc he belted during his 4 year consistent run in the test side.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Well to be fair to Fletcher and the selectors i don't think they or many people expected to see so much seam movement.
Which of course explains why both captains wanted to bowl first? Flat pitch or not, Mahmood is a disgrace and Lewis is our best bowler.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
aussie said:
Well Watson opened in the warm-up so maybe the selectors see him as opener option for the time being. I dont think Watson's bowling will struggle that much, the pitch & conditions in malaysia look fairly similar to India so i think his bowling will go ok.
It looks like Watson will open as he played both practice games in otherwise full strength Australian sides and Katich didn't play in either. If Watson has a good tournament that will be the end of Katich for good you would imagine with Hayden, Jaques and Cosgrove all scoring runs in domestic cricket. Hell, even Hodge moved himself up the order to open for Victoria, Australian cricketers can smell blood alright!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
tooextracool said:
Jonathan Lewis who currently averages 23.25 at an ER of 3.95.
I think Sean may have been referring to your use of 'our' when talking about English players. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
Which of course explains why both captains wanted to bowl first? Flat pitch or not, Mahmood is a disgrace and Lewis is our best bowler.
I'm pretty sure Flintoff said he wanted to bat first.