• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I've said this ad nauseum, but thats the difference between Eng and Aus. Aus take all tourneys seriously and go all out to win each one.

England: Oh, its the subcontinent, who cares?
England: Oh, its just ODI, who cares?
England: Oh its just SL at home, who cares?

It's a ridiculous mentality to have. Even if your fans feel that way (which you can't do much about), you can't let the team feel that way and thats what I get when I watch them play.

Aussies made winning in India their biggest priority under Waugh. Why? Precicely because it was hard and they hadn't done it yet. And thats why they became the champions.
oh so its just your impression that that is the case then?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Pathan's critics have been silenced.

SS has been silenced.

English fans, as usual, are silent.

After reading the numerous posts so far, I have cometo a conclusion that you English fans just hold too high of expectations for your team. England TBH, really aren't that great of a team, in fact they are utter crap.

And who was it that said India is a rubbish team, I think it was Scaly (not sure, forgive me if I am wrong), you have quite a lot of courage to say that when we are in the proccess of completely destroying your team.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Australia tries its hardest to win every single one day series, if they did, they'd roll out their best team every time, but instead they rotate players and blood young players. Having said that, they certainly go onto the field with a winning mentality, and normally the players who come in to replace the rested ones are good enough.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
It`s pretty clear that England just seem to build up to the Ashes, and anything else is a bonus. Many of the fans think that way.

sideshowtim

Banned
benchmark00 said:
I don't think Australia tries its hardest to win every single one day series, if they did, they'd roll out their best team every time, but instead they rotate players and blood young players. Having said that, they certainly go onto the field with a winning mentality, and normally the players who come in to replace the rested ones are good enough.
If you're refering to the DLF cup, it was well publicized that we were using that as a warm-up tournament to try out young players. Yet they still came out with a great mentality and we won the tournament easily...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's a mistake to assume English fans don't care about ODIs; this English fan certainly does. What is fair to say is that we care about Tests more.

There does seem to be some type of weird trade off in English cricket going on: late 80s/early 90s cack in tests & (arguably) the best ODI team out there; now cack in ODIs & (probably) the second best test outfit out there. It's like we, as a cricketing nation, only have so much talent and/or success to go round....

sideshowtim

Banned
Nnanden said:
It`s pretty clear that England just seem to build up to the Ashes, and anything else is a bonus. Many of the fans think that way.
Pretty stupid thing to do. Some English fans think that the Ashes won't be that hard for their team...No overseas team has won over in Australia for 13 years.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Swervy said:
oh so its just your impression that that is the case then?

No, its the impression I got after talking at length with Fletcher and the rest of the team for two hours each at my home.

Oh, and Jessica Alba was there too, strip dancing for us.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
It's like we, as a cricketing nation, only have so much talent and/or success to go round....
Replace "cricketing" with "sporting" and it still works...

Swervy

International Captain
silentstriker said:
No, its the impression I got after talking at length with Fletcher and the rest of the team for two hours each at my home.

Oh, and Jessica Alba was there too, strip dancing for us.
ha:)

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sideshowtim said:
If you're refering to the DLF cup, it was well publicized that we were using that as a warm-up tournament to try out young players. Yet they still came out with a great mentality and we won the tournament easily...
Not specifically, no.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
Pathan's critics have been silenced.

SS has been silenced.
Hardly:

1) We've been doing well in ODI's at home for a while now
2) Let's see how the pace bowling performs in South Africa

If they do well throughout South Africa, and not in patches, then I will be happy to admit that I am wrong.

People don't realize that I'm hoping I'm wrong, because if I am, India will have overcome the biggest hurdle to winning tests overseas. I'd love to be wrong.

But chances are, that I'm not.

Swervy

International Captain
sideshowtim said:
Pretty stupid thing to do. Some English fans think that the Ashes won't be that hard for their team...No overseas team has won over in Australia for 13 years.
Every England fan I know (and I am surrounded by them) thinks its a fairly easy Australian win coming up

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
sideshowtim said:
Troll!!! :ph34r: Seriously, that is one of the most stupid posts I've ever read. I don't know anyone who thinks the upcoming Ashes tour won't be incredibly difficult.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
I think it's a mistake to assume English fans don't care about ODIs; this English fan certainly does. What is fair to say is that we care about Tests more.

There does seem to be some type of weird trade off in English cricket going on: late 80s/early 90s cack in tests & (arguably) the best ODI team out there; now cack in ODIs & (probably) the second best test outfit out there. It's like we, as a cricketing nation, only have so much talent and/or success to go round....
That's exactly how it is. There's no point in England trying all out to win everything, they'll just end up having a load of broken players and winning nothing. It's just not physically possible for England to win most things because they don't have the depth to cover the inevitable injuries. They have to prioritise, ODIs are at the bottom of that list and rightly so.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
benchmark00 said:
If we played the same XI every game, we`d be screwed, due to fatigue. But even when new players come in, they still want to win more than the opposition. It`s just something instilled in Australian sporting culture.

The English won the Ashes partly due to their wanting it more than Australia. They were willing to apply themselves and worked harder. In cricket, and more generally, in sport, I feel England don`t care enough.

Random example, but - the Australian soccer team. Far from the most talented lot, but boy do they want to win, and will bust their gut to do so.

Fire the hell up.

sideshowtim

Banned
Plus, Australia has the excellent depth to warrant the exchanging of players when it's required, whereas England don't have the same quality depth. England have a very good first pick XI, especially in tests....but other than that....they have really thin stocks.