• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs. Australia, 21st Sept

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
richproject said:
I disagree with you that the pitch didn't play a part. Yes our bowling was awful. But our batting is always worth more than 260 on any true pitch. I wonder why vaughn put us in. Admit the pitch played a part.
That's why they have a toss in a cricket match.

Admit that Australia would have been hard-pressed to beat New Zealand if they had batted first in that game - now on that day it WAS an advantage to bat second.

Did you see any of the game between England and Australia? No, of course you didn't. You just assume that England had assistance from the conditions.

Australia were out-batted, out-bowled and yes, out-thought from a captaincy perspective. As they say, 'game, set and match'.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Ponting: "We will be disappointed for a little while about this one but as I said we can't be too disappointed when we are outplayed. And today, we were certainly outbowled and outbatted."

more grapes anyone?
And all the more credit to the guy for saying so - and all the less credit to some of his more vociferous 'supporters' like this new guy (who just writes a little too like Scallywag for my liking).

Edit: The inability to spell 'Vaughan' and the starting of the post with the magical word 'Ponting' was the giveaway.

Last edited:

richproject

Cricket Spectator
Yes I'll admit NZ could and probably would have beaten Aus if Aus had batted first. That is my point the toss was crucial where as u say it wasn't. And yes i did watch the match, and i'll even admit that we were outbowled.

My point is Aus always score close to or over 300 on any good batting wicket. With Michael Clarke smashing the poms aorund in the final ten it was obvious how much easier the pitch was to bat on as the game progressed. End of story.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
richproject said:
My point is Aus always score close to or over 300 on any good batting wicket. With Michael Clarke smashing the poms aorund in the final ten it was obvious how much easier the pitch was to bat on as the game progressed. End of story.
I think the fact the ball was 40 overs old had a little bit more to do with it...just an idea :) (well probably a little under 40 as per ususual it got changed after about 35).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
richproject said:
One game, and on a crap pitch at that does not prove anything.
539 runs is a poor pitch now? 8-)

richproject said:
England could not have improved so much in such a short period.
Knew it would happen that it's the other team underperforming.

richproject said:
It is a credit to Australia for scoring 259.
And even more credit to England for 260-4 on such a terrible pitch.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
richproject said:
With Michael Clarke smashing the poms aorund in the final ten it was obvious how much easier the pitch was to bat on as the game progressed. End of story.
So easy that from overs 41-46 Australia added about 25 runs?

Keep digging Scallywag.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
richproject said:
But our batting is always worth more than 260 on any true pitch.
By same token, so was England's!

richproject said:
I wonder why vaughn put us in.
Could it be because we've got a very good history of chasing targets - prior to that game we'd won 13 of our last 14 chases.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly piscine said:
Ponting: "We will be disappointed for a little while about this one but as I said we can't be too disappointed when we are outplayed. And today, we were certainly outbowled and outbatted."

more grapes anyone?
How is admitting you were completely outplayed sour grapes? I know others have used it here at times to describe things (not necessarily related to what you're talking about) but perhaps you should look at what was said and have a think about what you're writing before clicking post....

Son Of Coco

richproject said:
Ponting was just being polite. One game, and on a crap pitch at that does not prove anything. He can't come out and say what he really thinks now can he. When England bowl Australia out on a true pitch i will be the first to admit they are a better side. Until then, blah.

Look what happened to New Zealand. They batted first and were demolished. Now they recently demolished England on their home soil. England could not have improved so much in such a short period. It is a credit to Australia for scoring 259. Beat us in a series and i'll give all the plaudits.
you can shut up now........we were comprehensively beaten.

Scaly piscine

Son Of Coco said:
How is admitting you were completely outplayed sour grapes? I know others have used it here at times to describe things (not necessarily related to what you're talking about) but perhaps you should look at what was said and have a think about what you're writing before clicking post....
Grapes was responding to the peon (richproject) who posted before me, I've edited it to make it more clear before there are more ironic comments...

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
And all the more credit to the guy for saying so - and all the less credit to some of his more vociferous 'supporters' like this new guy (who just writes a little too like Scallywag for my liking).

Edit: The inability to spell 'Vaughan' and the starting of the post with the magical word 'Ponting' was the giveaway.
Add also the usage of full stops (instead of question marks) when asking a question. It's not easy to hide yourself when you have a habit of making telltale grammatical errors.

tooextracool

International Coach
richproject said:
I disagree with you that the pitch didn't play a part. Yes our bowling was awful. But our batting is always worth more than 260 on any true pitch. I wonder why vaughn put us in. Admit the pitch played a part.
no what played a major part was that australia didnt have a quality spinner in their side....and no both symonds and lehmann are only part timers.
even neil harvey would have been better than picking b.lee.
why clarke didnt bowl is a mystery to me, was he injured?

Last edited:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
why clarke didnt bowl is a mystery to me, was he injured?
I have been wondering the same thing myself. He wasnt injured as far as I know.

tooextracool

International Coach
ahh i seem to be making many many of these 'slip of the keyboards' of late, must be due to how busy ive been.......ahh well ian harvey is the man.

tooextracool

International Coach
Linda said:
I have been wondering the same thing myself. He wasnt injured as far as I know.
yep i think vaughan read the pitch perfectly, to bowl himself in the 24th over was simply brilliant captaincy.
ponting on the other hand seem to be continually persisting with b.lee, the only possible reason i can think off is because he was looking for something along the lines of the 2nd final of the vb series 02-03.