• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs. Australia, 21st Sept

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I hate to say it, but as much as I want England to win, I cannot see past Australia here - even if they're carrying Ponting ;)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
In a one-day lottery? Rubbish.
I agree, anything can happen at any time in One dayers - winning a one-day game will not mean more to them than consistent results in test cricket I am sure.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Australia is going to win this one easily. Sorry English fans but this is the World Champions(back to Back) you are playing.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
anything less than spectacular from eng will result in AUS victory. Eng has about 20% chance of winning.

biased indian

International Coach
Australia have not lost the last 14 games to Eng and i dont feel the 15 will be much different.

but on one count i would like Eng to win.because they are the only team left in the Semis with out a major ODI title

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Flintoff has looked fantastic of late but ive never sold on players like this until they can do it against australia,the best team in the world.
I expect flintoff to be sorted out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If Flintoff does perform today, what will people then say to put him down?

My bet is "he's only done it in one game"

Yet if he fails, the same people will say it proves he's not as good as he's been made out to be.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
luckyeddie said:
I suppose I'll have to describe the others as 'Vegemite' as opposed to the more conventional* 'Marmite' bowlers.

*It will be the convention by the time I'm finished with it
I'm curious to know the etymology of the "Marmite bowlers" moniker.

Is it cos you either love em or hate em? Or because they're your mate? :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'm curious to know the etymology of the "Marmite bowlers" moniker.

Is it cos you either love em or hate em? Or because they're your mate? :D
Nice - the "love 'em or hate 'em" bit (files THAT away for future reference).

It's more with how my grandfather used to discuss my father's bowling (dad always professed to be a bit 'sharp' but grandad refereed to it as 'pudding' or 'soft as sh***').

Marmite just seems to me to be a fair description of the Harris / Irani / Harvey / Ganguly / Jayasuriya middle overs bowlers. They LOOK innocuous but they can sometimes leave a taste in the back of the mouth.

Marmite = Doorknob = Lollipop.

Mister Wright

England will get off to flying start, say 0-50 off 8, then Kaspa will be introduced and he will rip through the top and middle orders, removing Flintoff for a duck. Then there will be a slight revival, when Kaspa is taken out of the attack. Then Symonds will come in to clean up the tail. England all out for 180. Australia will get off to a bad start, Gilchrist, Ponting & Martyn will all go cheaply, to leave Hayden & Symonds to get the winning runs in the 34th over. Hayden in the 80s & Symonds in the 60s.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
England will get off to flying start, say 0-50 off 8, then Kaspa will be introduced and he will rip through the top and middle orders, removing Flintoff for a duck. Then there will be a slight revival, when Kaspa is taken out of the attack. Then Symonds will come in to clean up the tail. England all out for 180. Australia will get off to a bad start, Gilchrist, Ponting & Martyn will all go cheaply, to leave Hayden & Symonds to get the winning runs in the 34th over. Hayden in the 80s & Symonds in the 60s.
there's a distinctly Queensland flavour there! :p Lucky Clarke and McGrath aren't going to play a part, otherwise it'd be ridiculously biased towards NSW!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
luckyeddie said:
Nice - the "love 'em or hate 'em" bit (files THAT away for future reference).

It's more with how my grandfather used to discuss my father's bowling (dad always professed to be a bit 'sharp' but grandad refereed to it as 'pudding' or 'soft as sh***').

Marmite just seems to me to be a fair description of the Harris / Irani / Harvey / Ganguly / Jayasuriya middle overs bowlers. They LOOK innocuous but they can sometimes leave a taste in the back of the mouth.

Marmite = Doorknob = Lollipop.
Always an education! Ta for that! :)

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
there's a distinctly Queensland flavour there! :p Lucky Clarke and McGrath aren't going to play a part, otherwise it'd be ridiculously biased towards NSW!

Clarke won't get to bat, but will drop 4 catches, McGrath will go for 0-180 off his 10. However, if Brett Lee plays, that may be reduced to 0-0 off 10, and Brett Lee will have 0-180 off 10. :p

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
Clarke won't get to bat, but will drop 4 catches, McGrath will go for 0-180 off his 10. However, if Brett Lee plays, that may be reduced to 0-0 off 10, and Brett Lee will have 0-180 off 10. :p
hahaha, and we're going to beat them with Symonds scoring in the 60's and Hayden in the 80's? Don't forget that Ponting, Martyn and Gilchrist have gone cheaply, now if they get 180 off one of our bowlers and we have our two highest scorers totalling around 150-ish I think we have a problem! :( Then again, the rest could bowl 10 overs for 0 and if those three manage to pick up the scraps we're fine.

If Lee plays I'm on your side by the way! haha It'd be a travesty, especially if it was Kasprowicz that got dropped.

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
hahaha, and we're going to beat them with Symonds scoring in the 60's and Hayden in the 80's? Don't forget that Ponting, Martyn and Gilchrist have gone cheaply, now if they get 180 off one of our bowlers and we have our two highest scorers totalling around 150-ish I think we have a problem! :( Then again, the rest could bowl 10 overs for 0 and if those three manage to pick up the scraps we're fine.

If Lee plays I'm on your side by the way! haha It'd be a travesty, especially if it was Kasprowicz that got dropped.
I forgot to mention tat Flintoff's extras will make up the remaining runs. :p