• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs. Australia, 21st Sept

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
If England doesn't do anything stupid from this point, they should win.

Why is Brett Lee playing?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
2 reasons...

1. Lee has been nothing if not predictable
2. Vaughan can play this game a little

A batsman of his class should always be able to play ODI. He is looking very, very good. He just needs to go on with it now.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jnr. said:

Because Shane Watson isn't :)

(though Andrew Symonds and Darren Lehmann bowling in tandem might be a better option atm...)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jnr. said:

There are an awful lot of ghosts to lay here - so far, all England have proved is that they can compete (albeit the game is only 2/3 through, they have so far shaded matters with both bat and ball).

'Should' is an awfully big word at the moment. I wonder how many Australian players are contemplating even the remotest possibility of defeat at present?

I'd guess the number's probably close to about none.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Hmmm.... this is looking interesting. I never gave England a chance against the Aussies, but looking at the scores now at 96/1 from 17 overs, I would say England have a game on here.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gosh, Vaughan and Trescothick have been extremely entertaining. Hitting McGrath for four 4s, and on top of that it's always fun seeing Brett Lee take a spanking.

This is looking to be a great game.

Slow Love™

International Captain
This isn't the first time Ponting has persisted with Lee in spite of all reason. I think that usually it's a (misguided) matter of trying to play him into form, but in this case, keeping him on is probably just accelerating the end of Lee's career in international cricket (it's probable that the nails will be driven into the coffin in India).

Come on Ponting, wake the hell up and give Lehmann or Clarke a spell. This is starting to get scary.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Slow Love™ said:
Come on Ponting, wake the hell up and give Lehmann or Clarke a spell. This is starting to get scary.
Was thinking the same thnking after drinks. Would have been a good time to start with spinners, but noooo.... ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ LOL! It's a master plan by Ponting, he's so confident that his other bowlers can win it for his team that he's just letting Lee "strut his stuff" :P