• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Vs. SriLanka

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've just driven to Southampton and back this morning - 7 hours on the road for a half hour interview.

It rained most of the way there (let me rephrase that - it POURED) then stopped 25 miles North of Southampton. On the way back, same - dry for a bit then 150 miles of rain.

If that lot all makes its way to the Rose Bowl, they won't play for a week.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The weather forecasts I've seen all suggest Saturday will have much better weather, although still a little mixed with cloud & sunshine. Ideally England would get their last 18 overs in today then that would be it, meaning it would be relatively fair to both teams. Being a cynic I bet England end up batting in the morning TWICE and Sri Lanka get the sunshine tomorrow.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
I've just driven to Southampton and back this morning - 7 hours on the road for a half hour interview.

It rained most of the way there (let me rephrase that - it POURED) then stopped 25 miles North of Southampton. On the way back, same - dry for a bit then 150 miles of rain.

If that lot all makes its way to the Rose Bowl, they won't play for a week.
so i gues it was raining then mate! throw some our way. nsw drought striken 95% of the state.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, my money went on the overpriced SL side pre-game - but will accept it being rained off (stake refunded)

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
good start 4 england but it could still go either way
i think the first 10 overs tomorrow will be crucial to winning the match

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Intriguing to listen to all morning before the rain intervened.

A score of 215-220 will make it a 50/50 chase for my money tomorrow, Sri Lanka's big problem is that there's 18 overs to go of the innings, and Vaas and Zoysa only have three left each. That means that Chandana, Jayasuriya, Jayawardene and Dilshan will need to get 12 overs in between them. If Tresco and Freddie get their eyes in quickly, that could prove expensive.

Think SL made a bit of a selection blooper in omitting a fourth seamer (ie Malinga) and picking three part-time spinners to contribute 20 overs. I reckon that the omission of one of Dilshan or Chandana (and there's an argument for either) would have been a better decision.

Anyway, back to rain - it looks likely that we'll get a decent amount of overs in tomorrow, but if we don't, here's a couple of Duckworth/Lewis scenarios for you to mull over.

Were England unable to continue their innings, and Sri Lanka set to chase a target in 32 overs, they would be asked to make 172 to win. In 25 overs, this would reduce to 146 and in the minimum of 20, they would need 124.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sri Lanka have to try to take wickets first thing - I reckon their best ploy will be to use those Zoysa and Vaas overs first up and hope to remove Flintoff.

If not, there could be mayhem in the last 10 overs.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I would usually applaud the ICC for bringing our cricket season into what is usually a fairly dry September...

However, this thing has been a dull and damp act in pointlessness.. Roll on SA 2004/05 :(

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd be tempted to go with Vaas and Jayawardene.

If you use both quicks out early, whoever out of the England top 7 (or even 8 or 9) could make hay against the others. Jayawardene may only be worthwhile for a couple of overs before they get their eyes in, but it saves Zoysa for a little longer.

Incidentally, how come Alex Wharf is an all-rounder in the media reports, yet bats below Ashley Giles, who never is?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I would usually applaud the ICC for bringing our cricket season into what is usually a fairly dry September...

However, this thing has been a dull and damp act in pointlessness.. Roll on SA 2004/05 :(
This tournament could have been quite wonderful if it had been staged between the two tours, then had 2 groups of 5 (ok, even 2 groups of 6) with the top 2 from each going through to the semis.

When the tournament plans were first announced, a few on here questioned the ICC's sanity (again), suggesting that September in England can be iffy at best.

A little planning and foresight goes a long way - but hey, this IS the ICC we are talking about here.

Sehwag309

Banned
AFAIK

Eng has continued the game next day in 99 WC V/S India

This Cup V/S Zim

Now, with Lanka

I don't think any other team has done it 3 times

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
If not, there could be mayhem in the last 10 overs.

I would if they don't get the breakthrough then there's no could about it.

Flintoff when he's set has shown before this month that he can go from 50 in 70 to 100 in 90-odd...

Legglancer

State Regular
Neil Pickup said:
I'd be tempted to go with Vaas and Jayawardene.

If you use both quicks out early, whoever out of the England top 7 (or even 8 or 9) could make hay against the others. Jayawardene may only be worthwhile for a couple of overs before they get their eyes in, but it saves Zoysa for a little longer.

Incidentally, how come Alex Wharf is an all-rounder in the media reports, yet bats below Ashley Giles, who never is?
So Neil now that youve seen Mahfoof Have you changed your mind about him??? I thought he bowled brilliantly today.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
How annoying is it when teams drop easy cathces at the crucial times when in the last few months they have been fielding like gods. If SL lose cos Flintoff and Trescothick make big scores they only have themselves to blame cos they should both be out.

and yes Vaughan's dismissal was moronic