• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Vs. SriLanka

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So Next up is England Vs. Sri Lanka at rosebowl.

IMO this is an easy one. England will beat SriLanka easily.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Unless they have a particularly bad day or if Flintoff does something special again i expect Sri Lanka to win. England aren't the form side in ODI's. They may have beaten India but the first game India batted sh!t and in the second it was down to Flintoff. And before that there was the Natwest series debacle

biased indian

International Coach
60 - 40 for England

only reason the game is in England and in every game the first 20 overs where bowler freindly

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Dar said:
Unless they have a particularly bad day or if Flintoff does something special again i expect Sri Lanka to win. England aren't the form side in ODI's. They may have beaten India but the first game India batted sh!t and in the second it was down to Flintoff. And before that there was the Natwest series debacle
I expect the captain of the team that wins the toss to put the other in and win it!! :D

The winner of the toss wins it,IMO (and this will probably be the pattern for rest of this tournament too. :p

If a Team such as England wins the toss (even against Aussies) with the nature of the conditions and pitches they can win it !! :mellow:

Swervy

International Captain
I actually dont think the toss should play much part in this one (unless it is really really bowler friendly for the first hour).....I think England are too strong for Sri lanka..Sri lanka havent played well in England for quite a long time,and I think they will be heavily reliant on the experience of Vaas to get them through this one.

Englands bowlers should also be too much for a Sri lankan team that looks to me to be a bit fragile..I think if England lose, they should be very disappointed with themselves.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Normally id favor Sri Lanka but the Rose Bowl is a new pitch and is VERY seamer friendly and got good pace...which i think will be exploited to the max by Harmison and Flintoff whether we bowl first or not.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I will copy off the Sept. 19th thread and do this

Trescothick vs. Jayasuria- Jayasuria
Vaughan vs. Atapattu- Atapattu(if it was a test, I'd say Vaughan)
Strauss vs. Jayantha- Strauss
Jones vs. Sangakarra- Sangakarra
Gough vs. Vaas- Gough
Harmison vs. Zoysa- Harmison
Wharf vs. Maharoof or Malinga- Wharf
Giles vs. Chandana- hard to say...Giles is in the form of his life, though
Flintoff is incomparable to any of Sri Lankas players

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I expect England to win the game fairly easily. The Sri Lankan batting lineup has little experience with English conditions and the moving ball, and if they're inserted then I expect a lot of difficulty early on. Without Muralitharan, England also trump Sri Lanka in the spin bowling department (and the Rose Bowl isn't going to turn much anyway).

The best chance that the Sri Lankans have is that they field first, and that Vaas is on form and can take two or three early wickets (a repeat of that Bangladesh game in the World Cup would be handy), and that Zoysa and Maharoof (not seen him bowl yet, but the stats have been distinctly, well, rubbish - can anyone enlighten me?) can chip in with a couple as England capitulate before Chandana has to come on alongside the other second-string spinners.

70/30 England.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Sri Lanka for mine, they will bat England out of the game.
Sri Lanka are not great in English conditions. England favourites.

Flintof man of the match ??

FRAZ

International Captain
England was my 90% favourite to win this match but after losing the toss it has come to like 60% .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmmm.

Bad toss for us to lose. Gloomy morning in England in late September, you've gotta think the balls gonna move around a bit.

If Vaas & Zoysa bowl well first up Sri Lanka have gotta be favourites now. I liked the look of Maharoof too. First time I'd seen him & it was only Zimbabwe, but looks useful in English conditions.

Note to self: do not tempt fate by saying Vaughan mustbe due. :D