• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Vs. SriLanka

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
England have a good steady start particularly Solanki looks to be in good touch.
Boy Brumby, the following two incidents suggest Fortune favours England today. :D :whistling

3.2 Zoysa to Solanki, no run, excellent delivery! came back in after
pitching outside the off stump, cuts right through Solanki and
goes to the keeper, loud confident appeal for caught behind turned
down
7.1 Maharoof to Trescothick, one run, dropped! pitched up on the middle
and off, Trescothick tries to flick it away and ends up with a top
edge, ball goes high up towards the mid-off region, Zoysa moving
across drops a fairly easy chance

But as I post Solanki out So I guess I better :shutup:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Uh oh...not looking good (even though I can't actually see it because I'm in school)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England are nearly always 50-2 or so, one of the openers departs off an over-aggressive shot followed shortly by a typically moronic Vaughan dismissal... There has been enough playing & missing to be in a far worse position. Will be interesting to see what Harmison does later.

Sehwag309

Banned
Why doen't flintoff come up the order? He is a great hitter, timer..and would do more damage coming at 3 or so

Or, is it something to do with the new ball

Scaly piscine

Sehwag309 said:
Why doen't flintoff come up the order? He is a great hitter, timer..and would do more damage coming at 3 or so

He's usually in after 20 overs even at no. 5, yet another dismissal of Vaughanesque stupidity, 13 runs off the over and they get run out comfortably going for a second... words fail me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sehwag309 said:

That's a good point. I suspect it's only because our current 1-4 are, to a greater or lesser extent, openers.

Although, to my knowledge Flintoff is untested facing the new ball. That isn't to say he couldn't cope with it. With his eye & power he could do some serious damage when the fielding restrictions are in place.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
England 3 for 98 after 27.0 overs Flintoff 9, Trescothick 56

England may have done enough already to win this game. 200 plus is quite likely to be a winning score on this pitch. :whistling

-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW :batman: did this guy who tried to meet her majesty the Queen at Buckingham palace, make it to Rose Bowl ? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
and it starts to pour down! covers are called in and the players
leave the field

End of over 32 (4 runs) England 118/3 (RR: 3.69)
DNT Zoysa 7-0-34-1 (1w) - Northern End
A Flintoff 21* (38b 2x4) ME Trescothick 64* (95b 7x4)

Looks like there may be a long delay . Does anyone know what the weather forecast is for the rest of the day and tomorrow ?

Sehwag309

Banned
Natwest Challenge would have been a good series to try that out

He scored 99 in the middle order anyways but would have been interesting him at 3 or opening

Scaly piscine

Today: Rather cloudy. Some rain at times

Tomorrow: Cloudy initially but becoming brighter. Some showers possible

Scaly piscine

Sehwag309 said:
Natwest Challenge would have been a good series to try that out

He scored 99 in the middle order anyways but would have been interesting him at 3 or opening
I think it's fine for Flintoff to open in good batting conditions, especially in Sri Lanka where the opening 15 overs is cannon fodder time for the bowlers. I wouldn't have Flintoff at the top 3-4 in most English conditions, a good batting wicket at Lord's would be an exception to this

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL have themselves to blame for letting England off the hook by dropping catches (both Tresco and Freddie) , But Billy Bowden helped Tresco with one big decision as well (caught behind Off Maharoof).

SL cannot blame Billy, but themselves.

With Freddie set and Tresco looking good England should make 240-250 easily.

This should be at least 50 runs more than what SL can achieve on this pitch if Harmo and Goughy get going with Freddie and Wharf. :huh: :blink:

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Trouble is they'll have to get their eye in again and if England's innings goes into the second day that screws England up even further.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I think Sri Lanka will be happy with anything less than 250, if they get a quick wicket on resumption it could be an easy win.