Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WI v Bangladesh

Tim
    Bangladesh still look miles off the pace. The West Indies are only 2 places above them yet they get hammered...there's a huge gulf.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy
    haah but the west indies are crap........u guna get knocked out soooo fast. u will only beat useless teams
    The wonders of short-term memory loss...
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Bangladesh still look miles off the pace. The West Indies are only 2 places above them yet they get hammered...there's a huge gulf.
    Yet a few months ago they pushed the West Indies all the way in both ODI's and tests.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Tim
    Yeah but I also think the Windies have improved over the last month in ODI's anyway.
    It's easy for sides to take Bangladesh lightly at home..NZ did the same thing I can recall.

You'd think after 5 years as a test nation they could do a little better than being regulary bowled out for 100 odd & conceding more than 250 runs.

Yeah but I also think the Windies have improved over the last month in ODI's anyway.
    It's easy for sides to take Bangladesh lightly at home..NZ did the same thing I can recall.

You'd think after 5 years as a test nation they could do a little better than being regulary bowled out for 100 odd & conceding more than 250 runs.
    Very true.

It's interesting to note that (I believe) there's only ever been one ODI ton by a Bangladeshi batsman - in 95 attempts.

Dav Whatmore must have been pulling what little hair remains today - it seems they only bat from 7 down.

Don
    u guys r so lucky u got to see the match.i was stuck in skool and kept getting bad reports like west indies were on 308 for 1 on junk like that.any way hooray for windies my boy chanders was not out hooray.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Very true.

It's interesting to note that (I believe) there's only ever been one ODI ton by a Bangladeshi batsman - in 95 attempts.

Dav Whatmore must have been pulling what little hair remains today - it seems they only bat from 7 down.
    You believe correctly. Mehrab Hossain's 101 against Zimbabwe at Dhaka in March 1999.

However, his ODI average is now 24.94 (and 13.38 in Tests), and in April of this year, this happened (Cricinfo):

Mehrab Hossain, the only Bangladeshi to score a one-day international century, has been banned from domestic and international cricket for a year, after dishonouring the terms of his contract. He compounded his action by failing to appear at a Bangladesh Cricket Board hearing.

Mehrab had reportedly agreed to represent the drug manufacturer, Acme Laboratories, in the inaugural Corporate Cricket League competition, and had even accepted a 15,000 taka advance ($254.24). But he was subsequently approached by GrameenPhone, Bangladesh's largest mobile phone provider and current sponsors of the national team.

"I went through all the papers submitted by Acme, including a voucher of Tk 15,000 paid to Mehrab, and found no reason to doubt their claim," said Khondokar Jamiluddin, the chairman of the CCL committee. "The board acted on the organising committee's recommendation." A senior BCB official added: "We have decided to bar him for a year as he failed to appear before the BCB for a hearing on the Acme allegation."

Mehrab, 25, averaged 13.38 with the bat in nine Test appearances, and has also played in 18 ODIs. His last Test appearance was against South Africa in Dhaka in May 2003.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Ah, good old Acme.

So is that why Bangladesh are playing guys who are no better than Wile E Coyote?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    haah but the west indies are crap........u guna get knocked out soooo fast. u will only beat useless teams
    So insightful. Yes, we've only ever beaten the useless teams ey?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Interesting prediction here, too!
    Though not saying I wasn't hoping South Africa were going to win.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Just goes to show that you don't improve by playing Tests and ODIs, and ICC were wholly stupid to put them in there and devalue ODI- and Test-cricket for 5 years.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Just goes to show that you don't improve by playing Tests and ODIs, and ICC were wholly stupid to put them in there and devalue ODI- and Test-cricket for 5 years.
    In fairness they've played better Test cricket over the last year or so.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    i do agree that bangladesh were given test status early..but you have to remember NZ started tests in 1929..they didnt win a test until 1955/56 (45th test)..before which they averaged 24 runs per wicket and conceded 42 runs per wicket taken..and when they beat the WI in the 1979/80 series, that was only their 11th test win of all time.

Sri Lanka only won 1 test in their first 5 years of being a test playing team..and even after 10 years were still a very poor team.

These things do take time..I am sure that in 20 years time we will look back and wonder how we could have ever doubted it was the right choice to let them in..because I think they may well be right up there with the better teams by then.
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    In fairness they've played better Test cricket over the last year or so.
    Not if you listen to Richard.

But then again he probably won't consider them a substandard side if a run of 1 win in 34 isn't substandard.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I consider Bangladesh a massively substandard side.
    I think there have been very small signs that things might just begin to change in the last year-and-a-bit.
    So far, little has actually been altered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information