Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA Cricket team...

USA Cricket team...

ok so they been.. and gone....

To me the whole team was just a "West Indies B" team....

What were the stats.. only 2 of the team were actually born in the USA ??

Is *real* usa cricket REALLY that weak ?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    You can say the same about most Associate members.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The US team consists of old, failed cricketers from other countries, which is not good for the game there. They need young players from the US and not elsewhere.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

no but hopefully they got in newspapers or on the news etc. remeber the australian rugby union used the world game to attract league players to rugby. perhaps some kids may start to want to play cricket so that they can take on the world
    My 2008/09 stats
    Games: 10 Innings: 10 Nout Outs: 3 Runs: 489 Average: 69.86 Highest: 154 Fifties: 0 Hundreds: 3
    Catches: 7

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun
    The US team consists of old, failed cricketers from other countries, which is not good for the game there. They need young players from the US and not elsewhere.
    Well I wouldn't call Clayton Lambert a total failure. Not Test-class, no, but not a failed cricketer.

State Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Well I wouldn't call Clayton Lambert a total failure. Not Test-class, no, but not a failed cricketer.
    Thank you Sir ..... My thoughts exactly ......

BTW did you watch his test century against England in 1998 ????

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Legglancer
    Thank you Sir ..... My thoughts exactly ......

BTW did you watch his test century against England in 1998 ????
    I did - much of it was down to a totally inept bowling performance, but the wicket was described by reports at the time as 'tricky'.

I thought he had a future.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

the game is growing in US, but very slowly. Most people participating in the game are immigrants who already know the game, strangley the oldest club in US is in philadelphia and its over a 100 yrs old. To get the game going it needs to be brought to the streets where kids can enjoy it without being so formal about it at first, once they start to enjoy it, the game has a scope to grow.
    OH HE HATE ME

Cricket Spectator
    Here's a good start:-
    http://www.freelance.primetap.com/backyard.htm

...and some more basic rules:-

Backyard Cricket

Rules
    The rules of backyard cricket will vary with every backyard, but here is a list that many a game is based on.

1.One hand off the house: Catches must be taken one-hand if the ball comes off the house/tree/fence.

2.Six and out: If you hit it over the fence you're out and you have to get the ball.

3.No LBWs: Too contentious, unless dad agrees to umpire.

4.You can't go out first ball: This is to stop your kid brother from blubbing or to give granny a chance.

5.Last man's tucker: You can bat by yourself if you are the last remaining batsman.

6.Tippity run: You have to run if you hit it.

7.Magic wickets: You can run out a batsman batting alone by hitting the wicket at either end.

8.Automatic runs: If you hit certain backyard landmarks - a fence or shed perhaps - you are awarded a prearranged number of runs

For cricket to grow u need it kinda.. "Embedded" in the culture.. just like cricket and rugby is in new zealand..

Like since everyone in new zealand lives pretty much near a beach.. its a natural thing.. to go down to the beach with your mates/family.. take a cricketbat and a tennis ball .. and/or a rugby ball.. just go swimming.. make some stumps outta driftwood.. and have a day of it..

But i suppose in america that never ever happens...

its probally their culture to take a baseball bat and ball and or gridiron ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jillamanda
    Here's a good start:-
    http://www.freelance.primetap.com/backyard.htm

...and some more basic rules:-

Backyard Cricket

Rules
    The rules of backyard cricket will vary with every backyard, but here is a list that many a game is based on.

1.One hand off the house: Catches must be taken one-hand if the ball comes off the house/tree/fence.

2.Six and out: If you hit it over the fence you're out and you have to get the ball.

3.No LBWs: Too contentious, unless dad agrees to umpire.

4.You can't go out first ball: This is to stop your kid brother from blubbing or to give granny a chance.

5.Last man's tucker: You can bat by yourself if you are the last remaining batsman.

6.Tippity run: You have to run if you hit it.

7.Magic wickets: You can run out a batsman batting alone by hitting the wicket at either end.

8.Automatic runs: If you hit certain backyard landmarks - a fence or shed perhaps - you are awarded a prearranged number of runs
    tippity run - sounds so gay. over here we call it tipny

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbuts
    tippity run - sounds so gay. over here we call it tipny
    that does not sound any better
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxPearl
    For cricket to grow u need it kinda.. "Embedded" in the culture.. just like cricket and rugby is in new zealand..

Like since everyone in new zealand lives pretty much near a beach.. its a natural thing.. to go down to the beach with your mates/family.. take a cricketbat and a tennis ball .. and/or a rugby ball.. just go swimming.. make some stumps outta driftwood.. and have a day of it..

But i suppose in america that never ever happens...
    Along with 30+ million other people I live in California and have had an opportunity to play many sports on the beach so I don't think living by the sand has alot to do with our failure to play cricket. I can think of numerous reasons why it will be hard to ever get Americans to play cricket but you’d probably stop reading after the first paragraph so for the sake of brevity I do have a somewhat oversimplified explanation. Both cricket and baseball are just formalized evolutions of stick and ball games played throughout history. Either game (with rule changes and proper promotion) could have become “our national pastime” but baseball won out. Americans as a whole like to work on a schedule and need finality. The evolution that became baseball almost always gives us that.

FYI: Due to the changing culture of America I doubt baseball will be anything more than a minor sport in America a hundred years from now.

Dar
    I don't see the point in calling them USA when none of them are American and the average age is 35 or something and most of them have played for Jamaica and other Carribean teams. And by the next tournament all these guys would have retired

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information