• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Billy Bowden

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Oh, no, no way!
There will NEVER be another Harold Dennis Bird.
What about the guy who was standing at square leg and got utterly confused so turned to the pavilion and shrugged shoulders in terms of "how am I supposed to know?"

cbuts

International Debutant
Richard said:
And WHAT DID I SAY?
I thought it was something along the lines of "don't say 'so-and-so must be terrible because he had a poor game when I saw him (possibly was perceived to be helping the side your side was playing)' if you please"
Yeah, that helped. 8-) 8-)
koertzen has never helped us, and he didnt have a bad game, he had two bad series. id go as far to suggest he would be the most hated umpire in nz. except for maybe alim dar, but he got fired after his performances in nz

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Koertzen's "slow death" finger when giving someone out is the best. It's awesome.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cbuts said:
koertzen has never helped us, and he didnt have a bad game, he had two bad series. id go as far to suggest he would be the most hated umpire in nz. except for maybe alim dar, but he got fired after his performances in nz
Further evidence of a "they're out to get us" mentality putting a serious slant on the viewing of Umpiring.
And unless I'm very much mistaken Aleem Dar is still very much a part of the Umpiring Panel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Don't complain about others going on and on incessantly...
I'm not - I'm complaining about one of the most predictable things in cricket - people disliking an Umpire because they think - totally illogically - that this Umpire must have a bias against their side.
Something I predicted, and tried to avert, but to no avail...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
What about the guy who was standing at square leg and got utterly confused so turned to the pavilion and shrugged shoulders in terms of "how am I supposed to know?"
If Harold ever did that I never saw it, and certainly it's something I've seen other Umpires do (Venkat at Lord's in 2000, for instance - at the bowler's-end).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was hinting at myself and that run-out during the CW SouthWest MeetUp :p

Not that subtle, but right over your head..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, my apologies for failing to connect the incident with your comment.
Incidentally, that incident caused me to rate my Umpiring prowess ahead of yours... :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Well, my apologies for failing to connect the incident with your comment.
Incidentally, that incident caused me to rate my Umpiring prowess ahead of yours... :p
I don't rate my umpiring at all, anyway...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, you did a reasonable job in the "Al to come in and blast us home" game. You know, the "NO BALL!" 'that's gonna hit the stumps' CLUNK! one.
Albeit I was calling the no-ball in that particular instance...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I refer to that game as the "3-0-49-0"er.
What selflessness! To bring a tear to the eye!
If I'd got those figures I'd call it the "game of dropped catches" (after all, there were thirteen of the blighters - not to mention that wicket off the no-ball).