• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think about two leagues?

Do you think there must be two leagues.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skeewee

Cricket Spectator
[]What I mean is why don't the ICC start two leagues similiar two the system used in soccer.... With the lower ranked teams in the first division and the top 12 teams in the premier league.. I think this will make for better games in big tournaments and give the little teams time to gain experience.. the last two teams in the premier league at the end of the season get relegated and two teams from the first division gets promoted..
Just a suggestion.. what does you think
[

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No.

Wherever you draw the line, it would be unfair on nations, and there's no way of having promotion and relegation.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
we appreciate your ideas mate, but i dont think its a great step to take

Deja moo

International Captain
I have liked the idea right from the time it has been floating around ( with provisions for promotion and relegation ,of course .And also with provision for expansion of the top tier when it is felt that the top teams of the second tier are ready to consistently compete with the top teams).Anything to avoid the mismatches we have been subjected to recently .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't see how you can judge if the top teams in the second tier can compete with the first tier though.

And I ask again, where do you draw the line, and how can you reasonably include the promotion and relegation - Cricket takes too long for each game to do such a thing.

Deja moo

International Captain
I was referring to One dayers...

Except for the Bangladesh fiasco , and Zimbabwe now , test cricket has pretty much taken care of itself.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Deja moo said:
I was referring to One dayers...

Except for the Bangladesh fiasco , and Zimbabwe now , test cricket has pretty much taken care of itself.
even in 1 dayers they dont play many series (every year). i mean if WI plays Australia, SA, Australia (home perhaps) in a row they'd be out of the second division.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't two leagues mean that two teams never play each other, and two teams are constantly playing each other.
If you give a country like Bangladesh test status, the best way of promoting cricket in that country is having the top players playing in that country. Two tiers wouldn't have that happening

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I think emerging nations should play in the Test nations' stronger domestic first-class tournaments... like Kenya did in the Windies. Maybe they could have a go in the Pura Cup, or something like that...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
I think emerging nations should play in the Test nations' stronger domestic first-class tournaments... like Kenya did in the Windies. Maybe they could have a go in the Pura Cup, or something like that...
Splendid idea, and one I have been advocating for many years

skeewee

Cricket Spectator
look at it from this point of view.. How will teams like the USA, Holland, Namibia even Bangladesh and Kenya grow without even having big cricket tours, I mean South Africa, Australia and all the other big names play competitive opposition at least 97% of the time, but does the USA look at their he played his first official ODI in the ICC tournament how can one expect from these guys to deliver good competion... At the end of the day the aussies hav to play the black caps to know who gows to the semi's.
It is like the USA and all the other weaklings are here just to make sure the tournament is longer... . just saying... if they have more playing chances against teams of the same caliber, wouldn't that be better for them... and remember if two sides get relegated it will mean they (weaklings) will have competion for the season?????????????

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dasa said:
good call, i quite like the idea :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We already have two leagues as such - Test nations and non-Test nations. The problem is at the moment there is nothing to ease the transiton up into the top flight. Look at Kenya - they are in the next contender for promotion, however they've not played an ODI in 17 months!

There has to be much more arrangements for these associate nations to have more high-class cricket experience or the mistakes of Bangladesh will continue.

skeewee

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:
We already have two leagues as such - Test nations and non-Test nations. The problem is at the moment there is nothing to ease the transiton up into the top flight. Look at Kenya - they are in the next contender for promotion, however they've not played an ODI in 17 months!

There has to be much more arrangements for these associate nations to have more high-class cricket experience or the mistakes of Bangladesh will continue.

just like you said, Bangladesh is a **** up... what are they doing in the test arena and how did they get here, the nation playing them could have had a rest, but now they have to waist energy on them...

imagine this for the first division championship it is Kenya facing up against bangladesh... @ least they'll know how it feels to play in a final....

who wants to see this all the time: Bangladesh 56/7, they need 250 from 150 balls?????????

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Something I've been saying ever since Bangladesh's woe became apparent.

cbuts

International Debutant
there needs to be a better system fro teams like bangladesh, kenya, uae etc. to develop.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cbuts said:
there needs to be a better system fro teams like bangladesh, kenya, uae etc. to develop.
Each should be invited to play a FC season in the West Indies, England or South Africa - the ICC can pick up the tab out of their massive marketing, merchandising and television rights slush funds.

cbuts

International Debutant
yea. it would be great for development. you got 8 nations with strong fc scenes

skeewee

Cricket Spectator
luckyeddie said:
Each should be invited to play a FC season in the West Indies, England or South Africa - the ICC can pick up the tab out of their massive marketing, merchandising and television rights slush funds.

Yeah that is already sorta in place in south africa with namibia playing on the fc scene here, but they are still losing to some of the weaker in south africas fc set up..