• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Vs Australia......

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
what u guys think will happen ??

1st and 2nd ODI teams in the world.. imho it will b the game of the tourny :D.. i would think that the winner of this will win the tourny.. (But hey im biased :p)

I think it will b close.. i aint seen aussie play in a long time so not 2 sure what kinda form they are in at the moment..

I Cant really pick a winner.... to close to call for me!

Raj123

U19 Debutant
MoxPearl said:
what u guys think will happen ??

1st and 2nd ODI teams in the world.. imho it will b the game of the tourny :D.. i would think that the winner of this will win the tourny.. (But hey im biased :p)

I think it will b close.. i aint seen aussie play in a long time so not 2 sure what kinda form they are in at the moment..

I Cant really pick a winner.... to close to call for me!
the only reason i think nz have a chance is due the lack of match practice for aus. team. it would be interesting to see if their experience can make up for it.

about the tourney, even if nz manage to get through i think (hope ??) the indians have you covered

howardj

International Coach
Should be a good contest. NZ will be in it all the way, however they really lack the world class players to deliver a knockout blow. Aussies for mine!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Raj123 said:
about the tourney, even if nz manage to get through i think (hope ??) the indians have you covered
another blind indian fan :p i admire you confidence which will be fleeting when pakistan are caining you.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think NZ will win...but it will be closer than the hiding many are predicting I feel.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Tim said:
I don't think NZ will win...but it will be closer than the hiding many are predicting I feel.
if anything i would say its 50/50 on a close match/thrashing arguement. still... i cant see the kiwis bowling being anything close to good enough.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Nnanden said:
another blind indian fan :p i admire you confidence which will be fleeting when pakistan are caining you.
blind- no, regular-yes. i dont know where you are from but around here its normal for fans to hope (believe) their team can do well.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Raj123 said:
blind- no, regular-yes. i dont know where you are from but around here its normal for fans to hope (believe) their team can do well.
regular just maybe could be a better word, but i believe australia will win, becuase its most likely. i hoped that my football team the raiders would win but i didnt expect them to (they didnt). if i supported the indian team i would hope we would win, but i would not expect them to judging on facts and current form.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Nnanden said:
regular just maybe could be a better word, but i believe australia will win, becuase its most likely. i hoped that my football team the raiders would win but i didnt expect them to (they didnt). if i supported the indian team i would hope we would win, but i would not expect them to judging on facts and current form.
i'm sure you would find "hope" in my original post.
oh, and, raiders and roosters was a mismatch, india pak is more like mel and bris, where melbourne fans can hope and expect (and they did) to win :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mind you...NZ have won 14 out of 16 ODI's this season with the same bowling attack. Granted Australia are a step-up..but NZ are good at applying pressure with maidens & also in the field.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee returns.....

This may be yet another mismatch, as was the case with the last Champions Trophy and the World Cup- the Aussies are always way ahead of NZ.

That reminds me, why can't they be placed in the same group as the Indians? How many years, and how many defeats, will it take for the Indian team to realise that there are many problems that need to be addressed? At least a heavy caning from the Aussies can get that done.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
NZ for me !!

We easily come on top of our game whenever we play the Australians.. and god i hope this is certainly one of those magical days again !! .... the form astle is in and mcmillan is picking up on.. it certainly looks good.. and brett lee wasnt never really a big threat for us.. i think Mcgrath, and now that Kaspa is in form are more of a threat..

But nz to win :)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ for me !!

We easily come on top of our game whenever we play the Australians.. and god i hope this is certainly one of those magical days again !! .... the form astle is in and mcmillan is picking up on.. it certainly looks good.. and brett lee wasnt never really a big threat for us.. i think Mcgrath, and now that Kaspa is in form are more of a threat..

But nz to win
I hope so. Even though I expect little, I will still be supporting them- victory for NZ would add some excitement to an otherwise boring tournament, already farcical, from the opening ceremony to today's match.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Arjun said:
This may be yet another mismatch, as was the case with the last Champions Trophy and the World Cup- the Aussies are always way ahead of NZ.
Obviously not experienced with Trans Tasman ODI's, then. :) Not to mention work cricket! NZ being second in the world rankings has to say something, not to mention our feats against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, South Africa, England, Windies etc. lately... NZ do deserve the spot they're in. If NZ vs. Australia is a mismatch, then any other team against Australia is even more of a mismatch. If there is one country in the world who can beat Aussie, I believe it's New Zealand.

Usually I'm not so confident when NZ goes up against Aussie but after watching us rise to the occasion so many times, including ending the Australian's (at the time) record-length ODI winning streak to draw a 4 game series, coming out on top in the Champions, coming out on top of Aussie in the VB series, being the only country to have a 100% record over Aussie in 1992 (or was it 1996?)'s world cup (If I remember rightly, only NZ and Pakistan recorded wins over Aussie, however Pakistan lost the final to them). So if we do win, it wouldn't be a 'rare occasion' or 'completely unexpected' or an 'upset of the tournament' - it would merely be NZ rising to the occasion like they have done and know they can do again. The main reason is that Fleming knows how the Aussies play the game and he knows how to counter it - we just have to hope like hell that everything works on the day, because while Fleming can always keep his brain going, the bowlers and the batsmen need to pull through for New Zealand to really have any chance.

I really hope we win. I put it at 50/50. If I had to go one way or the other, I'd say NZ out of bias and hope, but being realistic I believe we have a 50/50 chance of victory.

Last edited: