• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India V Kenya

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A lot of those times, he was coming in in the bash overs, which is not his game.

He is in the team in case England fall into some sort of trouble, in which he has got out them out of on quite a few occassions.

And I would call any score of 30 or above a failure. Not really a success, but far from a failure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bevn averaged 52 by constantly woorying about his average, and obsessing over not-outs.

And who said anything about Collingwood being as good as Bevan was?

It was simply said that he deserves a secure place in the team, and that its unjust for Yovraj to get so much hype, which Paul gets none.

giri03

Cricket Spectator
Can somebody tell me where is the warm-up match between India and ECB XI being played ? This is the best opportunity to see all the Indian players from close range and take autographs/snaps.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
good job ganguly for putting kenya out of its misery. Thats two consecutives scores of 90!
And an equally good job for sparing them more misery- they batted the full 50 overs with 3 wickets in hand! When Nehra and Irfan are in form, what do you do? Take them off? When Agarkar and Yuvraj are bowling rubbish, what do you do? Try to get them back in form by bowling them more? Hmmm.....you've got the Kenyans in form instead!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It was simply said that he deserves a secure place in the team, and that its unjust for Yovraj to get so much hype, which Paul gets none.
As I said, his free ride has gone on far too long. Now, I must ask- does he deserve to be in the Indian team? His recent performances suggest otherwise. Still, there are some Indian fans who think otherwise, satisfied that he scored more than zero runs!

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Arjun said:
And an equally good job for sparing them more misery- they batted the full 50 overs with 3 wickets in hand! When Nehra and Irfan are in form, what do you do? Take them off? When Agarkar and Yuvraj are bowling rubbish, what do you do? Try to get them back in form by bowling them more? Hmmm.....you've got the Kenyans in form instead!
Dude what are you on about? It was a victory wasn't it? Thats all that matters. Yes, it would have been great to get Kenya all out. But Ganguly wanted Agarkar to bowl his full 10 overs because Agarkar needs to be at his best (lol can that ever happen) against other teams India might have to face later on in the tournament. Agarkar is making a comeback and he needs to bowl as much as possible. Same about giving others a chance as well.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
Arjun said:
This is the Kenyan team we're talking about -- in form or out of form doesn't make much of a difference. I thought it was the obvious, most sensible, most coherent move to give the out-of-form bowlers a shot.

Fine, so the victory wasn't as emphatic as it could have been, but I doubt that run-rate's going to play a part in this group

Deja moo

International Captain
Arjun said:

Even assuming that we got the Kenyans in form , how is that a bad thing ? Kenya play Pakistan next , dont they ??;)

FRAZ

International Captain
One thing Good Deja . I saw Nehra bowling at a good line and so was Pathan . Pathan is swinging the ball more than ever to be honest .

Deja moo

International Captain
FRAZ said:
One thing Good Deja . I saw Nehra bowling at a good line and so was Pathan . Pathan is swinging the ball more than ever to be honest .
Yes , but the problem with swinging the ball is that if you get it to swing the ball tooo much , the batsmen totally miss it. That does the team no good if the batsmen cannot nick it. Plus umpires tend to not give LBWs regularly if the ball is swinging too much .

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
So 38 cannot now be counted as a success?! 8-)
no it cannot, anything below 50 is not a success.....its not a failure either which is why ive included it as one of his 'ok' innings

tooextracool

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
A lot of those times, he was coming in in the bash overs, which is not his game.

He is in the team in case England fall into some sort of trouble, in which he has got out them out of on quite a few occassions.

And I would call any score of 30 or above a failure. Not really a success, but far from a failure.
hes been batting at 5.....and of late the top order hasnt been doing much either. hes had plenty of opportunities to bail england out, but only once has he done so successfully.

tooextracool

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Bevn averaged 52 by constantly woorying about his average, and obsessing over not-outs.
thats the 'stupid' way of looking at it.....the other way of looking at it was that when australia needed him he was there batting till the end and ensuring that they were actually winning the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It was off 34 balls (and out of 59 runs while he was in) when he was batting in the last 13 overs of the innings - doesn't look too bad to me - in the context of ODI, it did a very good job for the side.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
how is 38 a success? its far far from a match winning innings i can assure you.
Any contribution to a game has to be taken in the context in which the contribution is made. I can't even be bothered to go back and read what this is about, so obviously wrong your statement is.

Mind you, that's just a pat reply out of context with the remainder of the thread, so may or may not be classified as an 'argument-winning' one.

:p

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
It was off 34 balls (and out of 59 runs while he was in) when he was batting in the last 13 overs of the innings - doesn't look too bad to me - in the context of ODI, it did a very good job for the side.
oh no it wasnt a bad job which is why it was an ok innings....but 38 off 34, getting out 4 and a half overs before the end doesnt suggest like he did a brilliant job off it. it was decent but not match affecting and as we found out, england eventually lost.
im not blaming him for the loss(which will probably be your response) im just saying that for his innings to have been successful he should at least have got 50. anything from 25-50 cant be a failure but it cant be a success either.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Any contribution to a game has to be taken in the context in which the contribution is made. I can't even be bothered to go back and read what this is about, so obviously wrong your statement is.

Mind you, that's just a pat reply out of context with the remainder of the thread, so may or may not be classified as an 'argument-winning' one.

:p
oh ive already won the initial argument....even if you count the 38 as a success(when it clearly isnt), collingwood still only has 2 successful innings, 1 ok innings and 8 failures in the last year.....that is far from consistent in any form of the game.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
oh ive already won the initial argument....even if you count the 38 as a success(when it clearly isnt), collingwood still only has 2 successful innings, 1 ok innings and 8 failures in the last year.....that is far from consistent in any form of the game.
Just to qualify all of this, his last 11 innings are 10 v WI, 4 v WI, 38 off 34b v WI (out with 4.1 overs left), 46* off 52b v WI (guided England to victory), 5 v WI, 2 v NZ (England 101), 20 off 20b v NZ (out with 7 balls left), 1 v WI (out with 1 ball left), 79* off 85b v India, 4 v India, 80* off 93b v Zimbabwe.

80*, 79*, 46*, 38, 20, 10, 5, 4, 4, 2, 1 - 289 runs @ 36.13 with only 5 definite failures

You could go back another 10-15 innings and the figures are better. Pick any batsman in the world and you'll get plenty of failures, although most of them don't field anywhere near as well as Collingwood...

Last edited: