• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India V Kenya

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
hey id pick him ahead of flintoff!!
The thing is, someone like him gets talked up so much, yet just about every side has better averaging players (ie Paul Collingwood) who don't get spoken about.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
The thing is, someone like him gets talked up so much, yet just about every side has better averaging players (ie Paul Collingwood) who don't get spoken about.
which is pretty much how everyone in the indian side is treated, bar maybe kaif and ganguly.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
which is pretty much how everyone in the indian side is treated, bar maybe kaif and ganguly.
A pity they have a permanent place in the team, while Collingwood's place is not so secure.

Makes me wonder...how long will Yuvraj and Agarkar get a free run to prove that they're of little use to the team? Maybe till my big-talking rival in the US of A gets sick of them?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
We're getting Ranjit Fernando, Sanjay Manjrekar, Ravi Shastri, Greg Chappell etc on Fox Sports.
Thanks a lot.

For all those in India, if you're sick of Srikkanth and the MAX crew, you can tune in to Doordarshan's National Network- the FOX Sports feed is coming there- and it's a lot better.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
Yeah I agree this is ridiculous. Players like Yuvraj are young players with talent and potential to be good and consistent and so need the support of the team but the Indian press and the fans sensationalize everything.Like Irfan Pathan being the next Wasim Akram....all you can do is ignore the hype.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
and rightly so, because he hasnt done much for a year now.
Depends on what you call not doing much. In 2003/04 he averaged 44 in ODIs, and in the 2004 season it's 38.20

Now if that's not doing much, please tell me what more he needs to be doing?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
yet just about every side has better averaging players (ie Paul Collingwood) who don't get spoken about.
Collingwood does get talked about, mainly by hypocrites who say "why is he still in the team? I'd chuck him"

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Rubbish!

He's played 2 very good 70odd*'s recently.
remember one was against zimbabwe, and that doesnt prove a lot.
and note the use of the words 'hasnt done much' as opposed to 'hasnt done anything'

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Depends on what you call not doing much. In 2003/04 he averaged 44 in ODIs, and in the 2004 season it's 38.20

Now if that's not doing much, please tell me what more he needs to be doing?
lets look at every game after the world cup then shall we?
34* ,11,46* all against bangladesh....gee i wonder why his average is so high...
31 vs SL.....failure
10 vs WI.....failure
4 vs WI....failure
38 vs WI.....once again cant be counted as a success
46* vs WI.....okay one decent knock
5 vs WI.....failure
2 vs NZ......failure
20 vs NZ......failure
1 vs WI........failure
79* vs india....yep success at last!
4 vs india.....failure
80* vs zim....how much does that count?

so looking at all his innings outside of b'desh and zim hes had 8 failures,2 decent knocks and 1 success. oh yes hes been brilliantly of late?

personally i like collingwood a lot, because he is 'bevanish' a busy player who doesnt rely on boundaries to get his runs and is very quick between the wickets. but that doesnt escape the fact that he hasnt scored much in the last year.