• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin to miss Trophy

masterblaster

International Captain
Arjun said:
UPDATE: The Indian team's injury worries continue- Balaji is now out.

A local news channel, Headlines Today, said that Amit Bhandari will be flown in as a replacement. In that case, it's not that bad- it's a lot better. Bhandari has played before in England and has used the conditions here very well, and is a lot beter at it than Agarkar, Nehra and especially Balaji. He should make the starting lineup.
Good move, against Kenya I would have Pathan, Harbhajan, Nehra, Bhandari playing.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i still reckon bahutule (thanks arjun) should be given another run

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
i still reckon bahutle (sp?) should be given another run
Yes. Sairaj Bahutule has improved a lto as a leggie and he has been taking wickets consistently. Not to mention, he can also get a lot more runs than the Indian tailenders. Having improved a lot as a strike bowler, his stats, especially his averages, are reason enough to pick him rightaway. Even his spin partner from Mumbai, Ramesh Powar, deserves an automatic selection- he is the best batsman among all the bowlers, he's also a very good spin partner (though not the best strike bowler) and a good fielder. He is a big match player, and deserves more chances. Both players are genuine all-rounders.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Yes. Sairaj Bahutule has improved a lto as a leggie and he has been taking wickets consistently. Not to mention, he can also get a lot more runs than the Indian tailenders. Having improved a lot as a strike bowler, his stats, especially his averages, are reason enough to pick him rightaway. Even his spin partner from Mumbai, Ramesh Powar, deserves an automatic selection- he is the best batsman among all the bowlers, he's also a very good spin partner (though not the best strike bowler) and a good fielder. He is a big match player, and deserves more chances. Both players are genuine all-rounders.
Not again, Sairaj has been improving since last 5 years, every time he is given a chance , he fails. Btw whom do you want to replace for him, Bhaji ? or Kumble ?? Ramesh Powar deserves an automatic Selection ?? Why because Arjun says so ?? :lol:

Actually lets drop every one from the current team and have a team which includes Powar, Gawar, Bahutule, Mane, Sathe, Gire, PaRe, Uthe, Latke, Phatke,Mongia, Dhongia and every other player of your choice. So much for your rants. 8-) India will definately win all its matches then.

BTW - Sourav Ganguly has just shut you up with two back to back half centuries and Both resulting in India's win.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Not again, Sairaj has been improving since last 5 years, every time he is given a chance , he fails. Btw whom do you want to replace for him, Bhaji ? or Kumble ??
No, one of those so-called fast bowlers. What great thing have they done to earn permanent places in this team? As for Bahutule, when has he been given a good chance to prove himself? He bats at 9 and bowls 3 overs. Is it enough?

Powar deserves an automatic Selection ?? Why because Arjun says so ??
No, because you say no. With a batting average of 35 and a bowling average of 28, he will not only provide support to Kumble, he can also provide support from the lower order. He hits the big shots. He throws himself around in the field to stop a ball. He is a positive player all round- in more ways than one. An opportunistic selector would have picked him two years ago.

Actually lets drop every one from the current team and have a team which includes Powar, Gawar, Bahutule, Mane, Sathe, Gire, PaRe, Uthe, Latke, Phatke,Mongia, Dhongia and every other player of your choice. So much for your rants. India will definately win all its matches then.
And what great thing has this Indian team done? Won a World Cup? Won 14 ODI tournaments in a row? Won more than two ODI series in 5 years? It's the same team, same plans and yet another defeat. There is need for change.

BTW - Sourav Ganguly has just shut you up with two back to back half centuries and Both resulting in India's win.
A very unconvincing half century- anyone in this team can score against Kenya. Even his last half century came two matches too late. He may get runs, but he can't run between wickets that well. He can't even field- except when he takes grounded catches. Besides, I have hardly ever said a thing about his batting- it's his captaincy that is a problem. When was the last time they won a tournament?

Depends on the definition of genuine All Rounder a lot IMO.
Bahutule- Batting average of 32 with more than a few 100's. Bowling average of 26 with 6 5-wicket hauls.

Powar- batting average of 35, bowling average of 28. A lot contributed on the field, too.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Stop touting anyone who can score 30 odd runs and take a few wickets as an allrounder and that too a "genuine allrounder". That dilutes the meaning of the word. Bahutule or Powar replaces who in the Indian team ? Kumble or Harbhajan or both ? Give me a break. A lot of players have been tigers in the Indian first class scene without much success at all in the international arena.Yes, it can be a case of persisting with someone in the international arena and not relying on performances in a few matches, right ? And it seems that's what you are saying in the case of Bahutule or Powar, but you seem to jump to conclusions the moment someone currently in the Indian team fails in a few matches and you want them out and someone of your choice in.Why not apply the same rules consistently ?

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Besides, I have hardly ever said a thing about his batting- it's his captaincy that is a problem.
Yeah ? And who is the most successful captain in Indian cricket history ? Sachin Tendulkar or Rahul Dravid or someone called Ganguly ? And how many captains in Indian ODI history have taken the team to a world cup final ?

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
aussie_beater said:
Yeah ? And who is the most successful captain in Indian cricket history ? Sachin Tendulkar or Rahul Dravid or someone called Ganguly ? And how many captains in Indian ODI history have taken the team to a world cup final ?

I'm not tilting either way right now , but you also have to consider how many captains in Indian cricket have had a team as good as this one ?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not tilting either way right now , but you also have to consider how many captains in Indian cricket have had a team as good as this one ?
Three. Ajit Wadekar, Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
pssssssssssst... helpful hint. he meant ganguly and only ganguly!
Still does not explain the drought of tournament victories. Ajit, Kapil and Gavaskar still won more tournaments. Even Azhar was successful, but for those controversies. Sachin was drafted in at the wrong time and wrong age. Dravid has done very well as a captain, with his brand of lateral thinking. Laxman, given his high degree of cricketing intelligence, will make a very good captain- the intelligence in his batting can also spread to captaincy.

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Still does not explain the drought of tournament victories. Ajit, Kapil and Gavaskar still won more tournaments. Even Azhar was successful, but for those controversies. Sachin was drafted in at the wrong time and wrong age. Dravid has done very well as a captain, with his brand of lateral thinking. Laxman, given his high degree of cricketing intelligence, will make a very good captain- the intelligence in his batting can also spread to captaincy.
Are you kidding me ? What ODI tournament did Ajit Wadekar win as captain ? Did he even captain India into a ODI tournament. Azhar was successful in winning tournaments only in India....the hero cup variety...how many tournaments did he win outside India ? And these days we are not even playing that many tournaments in India as we used to in Azhar's time. And Gavaskar won the Benson and Hedges world championship in 1985 in Australia, I am struggling to remember another one. And Kapil ofcourse won the world cup, but not much else except maybe a couple of tournaments in Sharjah. With the Sharjah circus gone these days, we are playing much less ODI tournaments per se these days.

And why again do we need to change the captain given that this captain has forged the team into a highly successful unit ? Yes, they are having a lean patch now, but just failure in the finals does not mean that the captain's head should be in the chopping block.That needs some other remedy if its deemed as a problem....maybe get the players to relax a bit.This constant chatter in the press of them being chokers in the finals isn't helping one bit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Tis indeed a shame that this tournament is without one of the true champions.
However, IMO it could help India WRT longer-term - if Ganguly plays well he'll give another good case for him and Sehwag opening.
That is, if Sehwag doesn't get dropped from ODIs soon. :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I really hope Ganguly can keep up his form. He's showing signs to hint that he could get a lot of runs in this tournament (Yes its against Kenya and a dead rubber against England don't bother mentioning it) but I think he's confident. Kaif as well is batting well, but hopefully Ganguly can get some runs against Pakistan and make a game of it without Sachin there.

masterblaster

International Captain
I think people everywhere would love to see the Ganguly/Tendulkar opening partnership re-surface once again.

I know I would.