• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your four semi-finalists

anzac

International Debutant
howardj said:
Australia; India; Sri Lanka; Sth Africa.

I'd love it if these four teams got through. When it comes to ODI's, they are the most competitive/fiesty teams in world cricket.

competitive or successful??????????????

IMO NZL is more competitive than either IND or SRL - just that they aren't as successful due to their lack of world class players esp without Bond in their bowling attack...........

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
anzac said:
I think association football is the biggest global sport of them all.............
I think you'll find that's what he meant, i.e. Football got to be the biggest sport in the world without the US so why does cricket need them..

Also isnt Golf the biggest sport anyway ( or at least played by the most people)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
superkingdave said:
I think you'll find that's what he meant, i.e. Football got to be the biggest sport in the world without the US so why does cricket need them..

Also isnt Golf the biggest sport anyway ( or at least played by the most people)
Maybe, but most of them are over sixty.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The key word here being "if", and I disagree - they won't win both games - even 1 would be a freak.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
FRAZ said:
Well Mr Pick up , Honestly I would like to see that . And I would like to see USA winning cuz if USA makes a good cricket structure then definately Cricket will be the best game in the world . And it will no longer have 10 teams but may 've more than 25 ...........
Cricket does not need USA. I doubt if it will ever make it big in the US. People in the US have the least interest in the biggest global sport of all...football...i hate to call it soccer to pander to the Americans' need for differentiation from the NFL type football. But their team is fairly good in football and still they scoff at everyone else in the world when the world cup comes around....you should hear the analysis on talk radio all around America during the world cups. And cricket ?.....98 % of the population thinks of fumigation when they hear cricket. :-O :-O

anzac

International Debutant
agreed that cricket does not perhaps NEED the USA market, but it would be an advantage to have some slice of their sponsorship dollars...............

in reading the latest release from the ICC re their proposed shake up in Tests, it would appear that they are unable to do everything they would like because cricket's financial base is too confined from one or two nations........

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
The thing about the US is, is that there are a hell of alot of $$$ floating around and if the ICC sees a chance to grab some of them they should go in boots and all. But in order for it to be successful they need to start out with it in the schools cause the current 20-40 generation are already gone. I think 1-day cricket could take off over there, not sure about tests thou...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
thewizard1o1 said:
I think 1-day cricket could take off over there, not sure about tests thou...
Yes there is a heck of a lot of $$$ floating around in the US, but they also know where to spend them specially in sports. Major League Soccer(MLS) has a tough time getting enough of those $$$ because football is too boring for the Americans, and its considered a game for the girls and not the boys.And cricket ? Baseball itself has been on the decline for quite sometime now.Americans love sports, but are also remarkably close minded about it.And that's what makes it very difficult to introduce them to a new sport and if the new one is something that they haven't even heard about, its almost impossible.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
aussie_beater said:
Yes there is a heck of a lot of $$$ floating around in the US, but they also know where to spend them specially in sports. Major League Soccer(MLS) has a tough time getting enough of those $$$ because football is too boring for the Americans, and its considered a game for the girls and not the boys.And cricket ? Baseball itself has been on the decline for quite sometime now.Americans love sports, but are also remarkably close minded about it.And that's what makes it very difficult to introduce them to a new sport and if the new one is something that they haven't even heard about, its almost impossible.
That is why i said that to have any chance of success they need to start with kids around the 10 y.o. mark. the older generations are already lost to cricket so the ICC should forget about that. Getting it into schools is the key to any success that it may have.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
thewizard1o1 said:
That is why i said that to have any chance of success they need to start with kids around the 10 y.o. mark. the older generations are already lost to cricket so the ICC should forget about that. Getting it into schools is the key to any success that it may have.
kids don't play any sports unless they idolize someone from that sport or want to be someone in that sport. And that sports culture comes from the homes where the parents dictate the shots and the child grows up on a staple of American Football, baseball and basketball and when he/she goes to school those sports are thought of as cool rather then some weird sport that the gym teacher was paid to introduce to the kids. it never flies. that's what has happened to football(soccer) and inspite of the global following of football. cricket is too obscure to even reach the stage of football.that's why i am pessimistic that cricket will ever be a sport of any magnitude in the USA.

anzac

International Debutant
I'm not too concerned about cricket having any magnitude in the US - if the likes of Pele & Co have been unable to establish football & Rugby still in it's infancy, then the prospects for cricket are similar at best.............

whilst not knowing anything about their domestic set up, IMO there are enough potential players / suppoters of foreign descent living in the US to give it some sort of profile & that's a start...............in any population base of 260 million + there is plenty of room for 'niche' sports..........

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
LINEUP 1: Australia, USA, Bangladesh, Holland
LINEUP 2: Australia, India, England, Pakistan
LINEUP 3: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies

What difference does it make? When there wil only be one winner, the others are just there to make up the numbers.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
South Africa will make the semis, face Sri Lanka in the final, Gibbsy will smash Dr. Death all over the park and Ntini will skittle their batsmen out like ninepins.

Woohoo!

Langeveldt

Soutie
DocHead said:
South Africa will make the semis, face Sri Lanka in the final, Gibbsy will smash Dr. Death all over the park and Ntini will skittle their batsmen out like ninepins.

Woohoo!
yAY!