• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Champions Trophy pools

RealPk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
marc71178 said:
It's not bad, but it's hardly a professional effort.

Pakistan won the game, but weren't professional enough to avoid the bonus point.
He?

It wasnt Pakistan, who didnt hit the stump in the end...
It was a person named.....
-.-

Waughney

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
It still could be the best winning percentage over the last couple of years though?...
Results since 2000
England: 0/10 - 0%
West Indies: 3/10 - 30%
India: 5/22 - 22.7%
Pakistan: 4/16 - 25%
South Africa: 5/17 - 29.4%
2 teams are better than NZ but take into account that this is since 2000....

RealPk

marc71178 said:
You can't blame one player for the team not being as professional as India on the day.
But this is a fact.
Moin Khan threw baldy in the last over / 2 balls, so that the effort of Pakistan was damaged...by not gaining the bonus point...

Before that Pakistan did everything right, they secured their win, since Tendulkar was still out there.
But in the end it was on Moin to throw the ball straigt into the stumps, what he didnt accomplish...
The win of Pakistan, which was a very very very big one ..(If you win against India 51 runs ahead) was damaged...The whole team couldnt do anything, that Moin didnt hit the stump! It isnt an argument to say "You can't blame one player for the team not being as professional as India on the day."
Think before writing something like that....Esspecially if you know what happened in the match/situation...

RealPk

marc71178 said:
If the team had been more professional, they wouldn't have had a chance come the last ball.

Oh man guy....Are you so unintelligent?

Pakistan was securing their win, because Tendulkar was out there.. The pakistani team didnt understand or understood the situation very late, because they were looking to win this match, like every team would do so!
But when Youvraj Singh got out Ganguly said, that they have to look on the bonus point! And not on the win. His plan was to keep the wicktes down and let Tendulkar out their so much he can.
The pakistanis realised this very late so that there was a big chance for them to get the bonus point...
The Indians have given them up, when Yuvraj got out! That was the professional effort of Pakistan! There was then just one full learned Batsmen there(Tendulkar) and this around the 150s !
Isnt that professional effort....I think you are calming the effort of the pakistanis on this day down...Sure the win was damaged but a win like this you will not see in every match....The bonus point hasnt played any role in this match.....

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
RealPk said:
The pakistani team didnt understand or understood the situation very late

The pakistanis realised this very late so that their was a big chance for them to get the bonus point...

And those 2 points highlight what I am saying about professionalism 100%.

Before the game, Pakistan must have known that if India got so much as a bonus point then they were out.

Forgetting it or anything else is unprofessional.

RealPk

marc71178 said:
And those 2 points highlight what I am saying about professionalism 100%.

Before the game, Pakistan must have known that if India got so much as a bonus point then they were out.

Forgetting it or anything else is unprofessional.

It is maybe unprofessional for the tournament but not for the match!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How is it not unprofessional in the match.

They knew what they needed to do, and didn't realise until too late that they weren't going to do it.

That's unprofessional.

RealPk

marc71178 said:
How is it not unprofessional in the match.

They knew what they needed to do, and didn't realise until too late that they weren't going to do it.

That's unprofessional.

No, i mean this is the mistake in the bonus point system.
You win a match but you lose it. For me and i think it is in every sport so that the loosing side is always the loosing side!

And they had to win this match to have a CHANCE to come in the final. If they played for the bonus point, there would be a big possibility for the Indians to win that match because Tendulkar was still out there.
In the end they were very unlucky...
But for me a win is a win. It was a big victory over India and such a victory you will not finde so much in the history books!
They won the match, India lose it. That was the thing they wanted, because they wanted to be in the torunament.
This bonus point hasnt took any effect on the win of the pakistanis...They won the match. But the bonus point took an effect on the point table in the end, so that it was unprofessional for the tournament not to gain the bonus point. It was so or so a professional effort. You cant deny it. They won the match professionally but flew out of the tournament unprofessionally.
The unprofessional effort against Sri Lanka made the different.
But the match against India was a professional effort, since they didnt lose the match by not gaining the bonus point! They lost the tournament!

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
remeber a mis understanding in the rules nearly cost them the test series in nz. instead of asking for the extra 30 mins on the 4th day to get 17 runs - they left it uup to the weather gods - which the report was not to promising ffor.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
RealPk said:
And they had to win this match to have a CHANCE to come in the final. If they played for the bonus point, there would be a big possibility for the Indians to win that match because Tendulkar was still out there.

Without the bonus point, the win was academic - thay HAD to get both and to "forget" about the bonus point is unprofessional.

RealPk

marc71178 said:
Without the bonus point, the win was academic - thay HAD to get both and to "forget" about the bonus point is unprofessional.

Yeah but unprofessional for what? Not for the match because they have WON the match!
It was just unprofessional for the tournament!
The win over INDIA was professional! So fo* to understand it... :blink: :@

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The match is irrelevant.

It is not professional to let the opposition reach the target that they have to get.

And certainly not to "forget" about the target until near the end of the game.

RealPk

marc71178 said:
The match is irrelevant.

It is not professional to let the opposition reach the target that they have to get.

And certainly not to "forget" about the target until near the end of the game.

LoL, you arent a Pakistani or Indian...Thats why you are thinking so!

If you as a Pakistani (or as an Indian) win the match, it is always a big one! Esspecially since the lose of the home series against India this win was very important for the fans!
Here the Pakistani shows their professionally effort, with their bowling and batting attack (esscpecially Shoaib Malik).

I cant do anything if you dont understand it. I think its clear and this since weeks, at the moment when Pakistan bowled their last ball.
It was a professional win. End!

And again....

Not to get the b o n u s p o i n t was unprofessional for the t o u r n a m e nt, but not for the m a t c h .

I dont want to reapeat me anymore....So answer to the last sentence and sure, you will not find an argument, since this is the last argument.
Dont put up things, which we have already discussed like "It is not professional to let the opposition reach the target that they have to get."

--> Answer: The bonus point hasnt took any effect on the match.

You see it is always the same. -.-

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No it is not - that match was irrelevant - Pakistan HAD to secure the bonus point - anything else is not worth discussing.

To ignore the bonus point is not professional.

RealPk

marc71178 said:
No it is not - that match was irrelevant - Pakistan HAD to secure the bonus point - anything else is not worth discussing.

To ignore the bonus point is not professional.

LoL, again....You see ...im just repeating me.
The match wasnt irrelevant, since a win against India is always important...Also, because this two teams are arch rivals..
They had to secure the bonus point, but for what?
1. For the match?
--> No, they have won the match by not gaining the bonus point.
2. For the tournament? Yes, in the end it made the different, but then you also can say, that Pakistan has lost a bonus point against Sri Lanka, which would also make this situation different.
3. For the fans? No, the fans were happy with the win against India. Winning against India is always something special. And the indian brothers could confirm it you.

So, that is my last post to this topic, if you dont find any other arguments, about which you can discuss.

The win over India so professional, so that the Indians gave them around the 150's up. This was a very big professional effort. Lets see whether they will be consistant. After one year we will see how the pakistani Team has changed.

And you also have already answered to my question, for what the pakistani Team needed the bonus point:

marc71178 said:
Your sentece isnt finished/completed:

No it is not - that match was irrelevant - Pakistan HAD to secure the bonus point to be in the tournament -

Isn't so? Yes it is.

So you can say that the victory over India was professional, but the lose against Sri Lanka was too heavy to be in the tournament.

Thats it. If you dont find any arguments, about which we havent discussed yet, you will not see some more post to this topic...

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Had the SL defeat not been so heavy, they'd still have gone out by 1 point.

As it was, the whole purpose of the match had become to get/prevent the bonus point, and as such it was a mess to allow it to happen off the last ball.