• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Champions Trophy pools

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I'm not sure if it has been said already but putting NZ and Australia in the same pool is ridiculous! They are the two best teams in OD cricket and should therefore be scheduled to meet in the final.

When were these pools decided? Shouldn't the seeding be determined within a month of the tournament?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It would have made sense, but they were decided months ago in order for ticketing and broadcasting arrangements to be set up well in advance.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh the tourmament hasn't even started and people have started looking for excuse ? IMO, It doesn't really matter what group you are in, every match is a knockout, you lose one match and you are out of series(unless USA beats both Aus & NZ).

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Nothing to do with the remark really.. Just replying to ur signature ;)
Hey Indians !! Do you know who Anju George is ? I guess not.
She is the Long-Jump Medal hope in Olympics... You shouldn't expect everyone to not know it !!

Deja moo

International Captain
Off topic I guess , but arent Lee-Hesh better bets to win a medal than Anju George ?

Deja moo

International Captain
Nag . Nag . Nag.

India play Pakistan.
Australia play New Zealand .
England play Sri Lanka .
South Africa play West Indies .

Except for the last pool , the rest seem equally fair/unfair IMO.

New zealand isnt the second best team in everyones opinion .I think SA is .

If you feel so strongly , suggest a better grouping which would be fair and pull in the crowds too.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Deja moo said:
Nag . Nag . Nag.

India play Pakistan.
Australia play New Zealand .
England play Sri Lanka .
South Africa play West Indies .

Except for the last pool , the rest seem equally fair/unfair IMO.

If you feel so strongly , suggest a better grouping which would be fair and pull in the crowds too.
fair call, but in the first test SL v SA, SL are caning...

Deja moo

International Captain
Nnanden said:
fair call, but in the first test SL v SA, SL are caning...

thats tests in srilanka.....totally different from ODIs in england......SL arent good travellers .

Craig

World Traveller
Deja moo said:
Besides from being a New Zealander, I go off the official ICC Test and ODI rankings, and if they say New Zealand is second in the world in ODIs, then they are for me. People forget they just won the Natwest Series after being whitewashed in the Test series.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
New Zealand are a "champion team" while SA are "a team of champions". On paper NZ look pretty damn crap, yet they perform over and over.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
Besides from being a New Zealander, I go off the official ICC Test and ODI rankings, and if they say New Zealand is second in the world in ODIs, then they are for me. People forget they just won the Natwest Series after being whitewashed in the Test series.

So what if NZ won the Natwest ? SL won the Asia cup recently , but that doesnt make them no2 .

Iam not saying that NZ arent good , just saying that I think SA might just be slightly ahead of them .

Craig

World Traveller
Hey I go off the latest ICC ODI rankings.

New Zealand has been more consistent then Sri Lanka, and it wasn't on home soil unlike Sri Lanka's Asia win.

You forget the teams New Zealand have beaten, Pakistan and South Africa comprehensively after their caning in Pakistan (but that was a pretty weak NZ side).

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
Hey I go off the latest ICC ODI rankings.

New Zealand has been more consistent then Sri Lanka, and it wasn't on home soil unlike Sri Lanka's Asia win.

You forget the teams New Zealand have beaten, Pakistan and South Africa comprehensively after their caning in Pakistan (but that was a pretty weak NZ side).

As you said , the Natwest win wasnt on home soil. But the SA and Pak wins were , werent they ?

The other teams in the Natwest series werent very good ones though .

Craig

World Traveller
Yes they were on home soil, but that doesn't debunk my point that New Zealand has been more consistent then Sri Lanka.

They beat England who were probably the favourites to take out the Natwest Series.

Deja moo

International Captain
But NZ losing the tests 3-0 doesnt make for a good example of consistency.

(agreed it was tests , but 3-0 is taking it too far.)

Craig

World Traveller
I was talking about ODIs, which you have never debunked my point that New Zealand is more consistent then Sri Lanka in ODIs.

Deja moo

International Captain
Ok ,they might be more consistent than SL in ODI's but that doesnt mean anything with respect to the original point of contention ; that is whether NZ is the second best ODI side ATM or not .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
They beat England who were probably the favourites to take out the Natwest Series.

The only reason England were favourites was because the bookies need to protect themselves against the patriotic pound.