• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Champions Trophy pools

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
thats tests in srilanka.....totally different from ODIs in england......SL arent good travellers .
I'd still say Lanka have by far the superior side and are much the favourites.
Anyway, anything can happen in a one-off game.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
marc71178 said:
The only reason England were favourites was because the bookies need to protect themselves against the patriotic pound.
and also coming of their test blitz...

cbuts

International Debutant
Deja moo said:
Nag . Nag . Nag.

India play Pakistan.
Australia play New Zealand .
England play Sri Lanka .
South Africa play West Indies .

Except for the last pool , the rest seem equally fair/unfair IMO.

New zealand isnt the second best team in everyones opinion .I think SA is .

If you feel so strongly , suggest a better grouping which would be fair and pull in the crowds too.
we just thrashed south africa 5-1 in odi's and in the last two years its 6-1 to us. how are the better? and the rankings ahve us ahead anyways, south africa are now fourth

who ever wins the game between us and aussie will win the tournament

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't forget Will that these pools were made at the start of the year when NZ were ranked 8th in ODI cricket. Of course if they had been made now..NZ would not be in the same pool as Australia.
But I want to see NZ beat the best to win this tournament, so if we have to go through Australia then so be it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah NZ lost 3-0 to England in the tests, but it wasn't as big a thrashing as the scoreline suggests. Both sides were fairly even up until Day 5 where England took their chances & NZ did not.
Having said that, I thought England were the better side through-out the whole series..even though all 3 tests were in the balance until Day 5.

Anyway there's no doubt in the ODI's though that NZ were playing far better cricket. A talent-less side as someone called them? how can they be talentless when they go 13 wins consecutively against Pakistan, South Africa, England & The West Indies?

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
South Africa play West Indies .

Except for the last pool , the rest seem equally fair/unfair IMO.
why is the last pool unfair?WI are a decent ODI side.

Deja moo said:
New zealand isnt the second best team in everyones opinion .I think SA is .
is this the same SA that failed to qualify for the super six stages of the wc,got hammered in the natwest series last year, and then hammered in NZ?
NZ are a better ODI side than SA whatever way you look at it.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
About the current NZ side- Would their improved success rate be due to the team being a fully functional fielding unit? And will the lack of great players show up against the Australians, as it has in the last 5 ODI's between them?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
is this the same SA that failed to qualify for the super six stages of the wc,got hammered in the natwest series last year, and then hammered in NZ?
NZ are a better ODI side than SA whatever way you look at it.
Is it the same NZ team which was swept 4-1 in the VB series and 5-0 when they toured SA last time. NZ aren't really that better than SA.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
umm im looking at current form, ie within the last year, not what happened between them 3 years ago.
Since the last world cup South Africa and NZ have pretty much similar winning %age. Needless to say that majority of NZ wins have been at home (played 11 won 9). They have been average in away/neutral matches.

RealPk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sanz said:
Since the last world cup South Africa and NZ have pretty much similar winning %age. Needless to say that majority of NZ wins have been at home (played 11 won 9). They have been average in away/neutral matches.

Thats why New Zealand will not have any chance to win the Trophy.

But one thing i dont understand...
Why do some people count USA to the few countries which can win the trophy?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
what ?? I never said NZ are not a good team, I think they are top 3 ODI teams in the world with Aus & SA being other 2. NZ has a good chance to win the Champs trophy as SA.

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
and how much of that has to do with the 5-0 whitewash that NZ incurred in pakistan when they played with barely half their side?
i think the 5-1 series win in NZ shows that there is a clear difference between the 2 sides.

RealPk

tooextracool said:
and how much of that has to do with the 5-0 whitewash that NZ incurred in pakistan when they played with barely half their side?
i think the 5-1 series win in NZ shows that there is a clear difference between the 2 sides.
Hehe, didnt see the Asia Cup?
Hadnt read cricket newspaper?
Hello wake up, Pakistan has now a new coach...
And i think everyone know that if Pakistan plays with their potential they can beat everyone.
The 5:1 of NZ was just mistake of Pakistan..they beat themselve...There was lot of trouble in the team i mean between some players, so that they build groups...
There they didnt play as a team.

But then in the Asia Cup, you saw...A professional effort against India, what you would normally just expect from Australia, but there is some move in the Pakistani Cricket....They are on the way to become the second or even best team of the world. Maybe it would be now a little bit early if Pakistan win against e.g. Australia in the final....But after one year you will se a much improved Pakistani team...
And everyone know, they have the talent to become the best team of the world...

masterblaster

International Captain
I wouldn't get too excited...

Pakistan have a tendency to let everybody down when everybody has high expectations of them. If I were you I wouldn't expect anything from Pakistan, because they are excellent when performing to no expectations.

RealPk

masterblaster said:
I wouldn't get too excited...

Pakistan have a tendency to let everybody down when everybody has high expectations of them. If I were you I wouldn't expect anything from Pakistan, because they are excellent when performing to no expectations.

Thats why i said that Pakistan is the dangeroust team in the world...
And you know they can beat everyone but they also can fly in the first round...
So i let me surprise and i havent said that i expect anything from Pakistan....
I just answered to tooextracool...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
probably a lot, But you can not ignore the fact NZ is a much better ODI side at home. IMO at neutral playgrounds SA is as good as NZ if not better.

tooextracool

International Coach
umm NZ just won the natwest series that SA failed in miserably last yr, against what was a fairly similar english side too.