• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 14 man squad for ICC trophy

gio

U19 Cricketer
Michael Vaughan (c)
Kabir Ali
James Anderson
Gareth Batty
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Ashley Giles
Darren Gough
Steven Harmison
Geraint Jones
Anthony McGrath
Vikram Solanki
Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick

No Ian Bell, surprsingly. No Ian Blackwell despite showing good recent form. I'm surprised to see McGrath still there. Nice to see Kabir Ali getting another chance.

tooextracool

International Coach
gio said:
Kabir Ali
Gareth Batty
Vikram Solanki
was chris on the selection panel???
well i guess all of them bar batty deserve another shot though....

gio said:
Paul Collingwood
IMO this should be his last chance to prove himself....

gio said:
Geraint Jones
personally i would have gone for read....

gio said:
Anthony McGrath
how many times does he have to fail to be dropped?

gio said:
No Ian Bell, surprsingly
yes the batting failed miserably in the natwest series and im extremely surprised to see that they've only brought in one new batsman, whos failed in the past....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
To me putting a Team like that sends one clear message, England (or the selectors) have no intention of winning the ICC trophy, let alone competing strongly.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Why do people have a go at Batty so much.
OK he hasnt set the world alight YET at international level but he's hardly played THAT many games has he? if Giles can basically get as many chances as he got then i dont see why Batty cant get a few more. He regularly takes wickets on any surface for worcestershire and is a fantastic fielder and useful batsmen.

As for Solanki he's in the form of his life atm for worcs and isnt the same batsmen that played vs SA last year so deserves a chance. Kabir Ali im shocked at cos last season he deserved this but this season he hasnt really set the world alight since coming back from double hernia surgery.

As for the others its great to see Blackwell and Clark finally told to work on it in county cricket for a while but WHAT THE F**K is Mcgrath still there? im sure he and giles have some sort of blackmail material on someone in the ECB :D 8-)

Im not surprised Bell isnt there given his poor one day average (but then again thats not stopped them picking players like that before).
Jones deserves more chance to prove himself at one dayers b4 we Read gets another call up. As for batsmen im shocked no one else was called up, but maybe they have 1 eye on Pieterson becoming avaliable and joining the squad for the Zimbabwe games.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Out of the three Worcestershire players, there's only one I would have chosen - Gareth Batty. There are no other options as a second spinner.

Solanki - aargh. Kabir - aargh (though not as loudly as the last one, and I am asking which other seamer could have been picked, and there's only really Jon Lewis, so I suppose it's not too bad a choice).

Ian Bell is the unluckiest guy alive.

gio

U19 Cricketer
Ali never bowled for England in ODI cricket, and did well in his only test. Then he got injured. I think he has potential to be a future test regular.

There is another option to Gareth Batty: Graeme Swann. He bowls really well, has done well recently batting wise and is an athletic fielder. Another Northants player snubbed by the ECB...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
No, they're not. If they were they'd never have been dropped.
Is this team going to be used in the Natwest Challenge against India too? IMO, if it is a batsman then India is a very good team to try him against as 270 is a par score against India. I would have loved to seen Bell against India and also don't be surprised if Solanki scores highly too. You can never say anything with the Indian bowling :p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
was chris on the selection panel???
well i guess all of them bar batty deserve another shot though....
Vikram Solanki does NOT deserve an extra shot.

The only one who does is Kabir, because he didn't actually do anything wrong.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
Why do people have a go at Batty so much.
OK he hasnt set the world alight YET at international level but he's hardly played THAT many games has he?
But when he has played alongside Giles on very helpful wickets, he was an embarassment.

SpaceMonkey said:
As for Solanki he's in the form of his life atm for worcs and isnt the same batsmen that played vs SA last year so deserves a chance.
And the Solanki we saw last summer was supposedly a different one from the one we first saw in International Cricket.

He's also (another) opener - we already have 3 competing for those 2 spots!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
V Reddy said:
I would have loved to seen Bell against India and also don't be surprised if Solanki scores highly too.

Barring injuries, he won't play (I hope)

Even if he does, I doubt we'll notice it, and the only person who'll be happy he's selected will be McGrath (if he's picked)

At least McGrath will have company as the worst player on the side then!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
But when he has played alongside Giles on very helpful wickets, he was an embarassment.

And the Solanki we saw last summer was supposedly a different one from the one we first saw in International Cricket.

He's also (another) opener - we already have 3 competing for those 2 spots!
he doesnt open in the 4 day game though so he can bat with the older ball so its not a problem for him to come in lower down the order.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Barring injuries, he won't play (I hope)

Even if he does, I doubt we'll notice it, and the only person who'll be happy he's selected will be McGrath (if he's picked)

At least McGrath will have company as the worst player on the side then!
i just dont understand why Bell isnt in instead of McGrath...seriously...this has to be the worse selection of all time! Bell can even bowl better than McGrath if you look at their figures this season!.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I am asking which other seamer could have been picked, and there's only really Jon Lewis, so I suppose it's not too bad a choice.
What about Sajid Mahmood? He wasn't really given a chance in the NatWest Series-one match out of six. And he has 20 totesport league wickets this season.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
What about Sajid Mahmood? He wasn't really given a chance in the NatWest Series-one match out of six. And he has 20 totesport league wickets this season.
They've only just had the dressing room mirrors replaced after Rikki Clarke, they can't afford to take any chances

chris.hinton

International Captain
its looks like that Neil and Marc are not happy, I remember a comment that Neil made in another topic over 2-3 weeks ago about Agreeing with the selectors, it seems to me he dont share that view anymore, the 3 worcester player are in because the are among the best 15 english players in england? Solanki is an Exciting player with a Dash of flair and brilliance need to be more composed at the wicket, Kabir is an exclennet bowler who swing and seam the ball with ease and he got a excellent record and Batty is a very good all rounder, I know Marc hates him with a Passion but he will come good and England will benefit

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Solanki is an Exciting player with a Dash of flair and brilliance need to be more composed at the wicket
He also needs to get into double figures more than 50% of the time.

chris.hinton said:
Kabir is an exclennet bowler who swing and seam the ball with ease and he got a excellent record
In County Cricket...

He's also just come off a long injury, so there's a chance he could break down by September.

chris.hinton said:
Batty is a very good all rounder, I know Marc hates him with a Passion but he will come good and England will benefit
I don't hate him with a passion, I just don't think he's that good.

The facts are that when he bowled with Giles in spin friendly conditions, Giles was picking up 17 in the games, and Batty got 6 in them - so who's better?

And to call him a "good all rounder" makes me rethink my thoughts on Rikki Clarke and Anthony McGrath - by those standards, they're almost World Class all rounders!

Batty averages 22 in FC and 19 in List A - Giles is at 27 and 21 - so he must also be a world class all rounder under the Hinton method.