• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian One Day Squad Named

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Australian One Day Squad has been named for the meaningless Amsterdam tri-series.

The team is:

Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist (vc), Michael Clarke, Jason Gillespie, Ian Harvey, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hogg, Michael Kasprowicz, Brett Lee, Darren Lehmann, Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson.

No surprises there.

Mister Wright

By the way the schedule is:

Schedule
August 21: India vs Pakistan
August 23: India vs Australia
August 25: Australia vs Pakistan
August 28: Final

Craig

World Traveller
A four game one week tournament, what is the point in even going?

Maybe India is making up the lost time in clashes between Pakistan and India. Sure they are great rivals, but this is going overboard.

Waughney

International Debutant
Craig said:
A four game one week tournament, what is the point in even going?

Maybe India is making up the lost time in clashes between Pakistan and India. Sure they are great rivals, but this is going overboard.
I think it will be good practise ahead of the tournament. Australia hasn't played ODI's for a while. It will also promote the game in that area.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's assuming they beat Pakistan - recent form suggests that's not a foregone conclusion.

Craig

World Traveller
Waughney said:
I think it will be good practise ahead of the tournament. Australia hasn't played ODI's for a while. It will also promote the game in that area.
Like offering joints to get people into the ground?

Or maybe give them a free bicyle as an incentive to go to the game?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
they barely even needed to announce that squad, is pretty obvious who was going to go, the only real surprise i find is that Cameron White wasnt taken as an extra player, but with only 4 games who cares....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im a little concerned that Australia are getting this kind of preparation for their ICC Trophy clash with NZ & it appears NZ will just go into the tournament cold.
Are there warm-up fixtures with Counties before-hand?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Remembering that Gilchrist isnt going, Im a little peeved that they are still going with Haddin. SURELY, for 3 games, someone else can have a go.

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
Remembering that Gilchrist isnt going, Im a little peeved that they are still going with Haddin. SURELY, for 3 games, someone else can have a go.
eh? :huh: :blink: :wacko:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Its in the article, Gilchrist isnt expected to go cos his baby is due or something.

Waughney

International Debutant
I think he was talking about the fact that you wouldn't have gone with Haddin. "Surely someone else can have a go" Haddin rarely gets a game and if Gilchrist is injured he is the obvious replacement. I can't see any point in anybody else having a go.

Simon

yeh Haddin is certainly the next best keeper batsman, really i dont think theres anyone else to fill the void in 1 day cricket....

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
broncoman said:
yeh Haddin is certainly the next best keeper batsman, really i dont think theres anyone else to fill the void in 1 day cricket....
I watched him in a couple of games and he was pretty terrible with the gloves.

Waughney

International Debutant
He has improved in all areas especially his batting. His glovework is up to standard, besides who would you select ahead of him?

Simon

Waughney said:
He has improved in all areas especially his batting. His glovework is up to standard, besides who would you select ahead of him?
thats my point, i dont think Haddin is all that great, but quite simply the guys behind him arent up to scratch to play one day international cricket....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Like offering joints to get people into the ground?

Or maybe give them a free bicyle as an incentive to go to the game?
No stereotyping there then?

I guess Liam and you will be attending the series with those incentives?

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
thats my point, i dont think Haddin is all that great, but quite simply the guys behind him arent up to scratch to play one day international cricket....
There is no way Haddin is a better keeper/batsman than Campbell. Christ! Manou would be a better selection than Haddin. Once again this is a case of the selectors reluctance to look outside N.S.W.