• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian One Day Squad Named

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Clarke is one of the most promising young cricketers. He blew the Indians away at the VB series. This kid has potential. He should be in the team ahead of Lehmann, and, considering current form, maybe even Bevan.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
arjwiz said:
Clarke is one of the most promising young cricketers. He blew the Indians away at the VB series. This kid has potential. He should be in the team ahead of Lehmann, and, considering current form, maybe even Bevan.
You can't just throw a guy straight into the fold, just because he shows potential. Experience is more valuble than most people give it credit for. Yes, Clarke does show promise, but as he has shown at first class level he is still very immature when it comes to his batting. Look at the West Indies now, they throw young guys in there without much experience and it is bad for their progress.

The selectors are doing the right thing IMO.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
You can't just throw a guy straight into the fold, just because he shows potential. Experience is more valuble than most people give it credit for. Yes, Clarke does show promise, but as he has shown at first class level he is still very immature when it comes to his batting. Look at the West Indies now, they throw young guys in there without much experience and it is bad for their progress.

The selectors are doing the right thing IMO.
what... by getting rid of bevan!?!?! you say "experience is more valuable than most people give it credit for..." yet then you say the selectors are doing the right thing? :wacko:

For starters Kasprowicz is twice the bowler Bracken is.

Second you can't just throw Lee in after a few months out and replace Kasprowicz who is in great form...
Your first comment is barely valid. What do you have to back it up for ODIs?? And Lee is one of the best OD bowlers in the world... when Pidge came back from injury they chucked him back straight into the team. Its the same kettle of fish for Lee, at least for ODIs.

Mister Wright

Nnanden said:
what... by getting rid of bevan!?!?! you say "experience is more valuable than most people give it credit for..." yet then you say the selectors are doing the right thing? :wacko:

Your first comment is barely valid. What do you have to back it up for ODIs?? And Lee is one of the best OD bowlers in the world... when Pidge came back from injury they chucked him back straight into the team. Its the same kettle of fish for Lee, at least for ODIs.

Your argument was for Lehmann v Clarke not Clarke v Bevan. Bevan wasn't performing - Lehmann is. No contest.

I didn't say I agreed with McGrath coming back straight away. Anyway, Lee isn't as established nor credentialed (sp) player as McGrath.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
Your argument was for Lehmann v Clarke not Clarke v Bevan. Bevan wasn't performing - Lehmann is. No contest.

I didn't say I agreed with McGrath coming back straight away. Anyway, Lee isn't as established nor credentialed (sp) player as McGrath.
If that was my arguement, then it wasnt meant to be. Bevan should easily still be in the team, best ODI player ever IMO. And Lee has surely done enough to be "cemented" in the ODI team. Mind you, if he plays a few and gets carted, then by all means, put Kaspo in. How do you think McGrath (Glenn) will go?

Mister Wright

He'll probably do ok. But he, Gillespie & Kasprowicz should be the first choice pacers. I wouldn't mind if Lee plays aswell instead of Harvey, afterall Lee is a better batsman than Harvey.

BTW, Bevan has had his day, right time to go. There was no way he was going to still be going round the Aussie side for the next World Cup.

Craig

World Traveller
The thing that has been lingering in my mind is this, we all know Bevan was never going to be around for WC 2007, however, what about Lehmann?

He certainly isn't getting any younger and have doubts how long he will be around for.

I am not for one second suggesting Lehmann should be given the flick, it has been something I have pondering for quite some time.

Mister Wright

Craig said:
The thing that has been lingering in my mind is this, we all know Bevan was never going to be around for WC 2007, however, what about Lehmann?

He certainly isn't getting any younger and have doubts how long he will be around for.

I am not for one second suggesting Lehmann should be given the flick, it has been something I have pondering for quite some time.
Lehmann has been in much better form than Bevan, and the selectors consider him a bit or a mentor for Ponting while he begins his captaincy, but it is pretty doubtful he will be around for the next World Cup, yes.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
He'll probably do ok. But he, Gillespie & Kasprowicz should be the first choice pacers. I wouldn't mind if Lee plays aswell instead of Harvey, afterall Lee is a better batsman than Harvey.

BTW, Bevan has had his day, right time to go. There was no way he was going to still be going round the Aussie side for the next World Cup.
:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O
do you seriously believe that?!?!?! could lee smack 100s in 20/20?? seriously... NO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
arjwiz said:

Clarke's current form wouldn't have him in the side, and definitely not ahead of Lehmann.

He had pretty a ropy VB series (31) and then a poor tour of SL (20.75)

It's oinly 3 games against Zimbabwe that push his average back above 40.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Have a look at there ODI batting record, there isn't much difference.
Thats because most of the times both come in to bat in similar situations (to slog) and hence similar averages ... IMO Harvey won't make the ODI team if it weren't for his batting.. Lee would..

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
harvey is an ar. lee is not. harvey can play shots... seriously!! take their fc records into account then...

Mister Wright

Nnanden said:
harvey is an ar. lee is not. harvey can play shots... seriously!! take their fc records into account then...
Harvey is a batting nuffy at International level & Lee is a better bowler and has show some capabilities with the bat, which, for mine, gives the edge to Lee.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Nnanden said:
lee is a better bowler than harvey, as far as abtting goes lee can play big shots, id put harvey over lehmann though

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
Harvey is a batting nuffy at International level & Lee is a better bowler and has show some capabilities with the bat, which, for mine, gives the edge to Lee.
yeh fair call, but we were arguing over lees batting to harveys yea?

I wouldn't mind if Lee plays aswell instead of Harvey, afterall Lee is a better batsman than Harvey.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
howardj said:
I think Shane Watson will end the career of Ian Harvey.
haha what a dominating call for ur first post!! batting-wise watson has got it, bowling-wise its harvey. aussies search for an all-rounder continues...

on that, what about LEHMANN? he is a very capable spinner, why isnt he in as an all-rounder?!? hes quite a good bowler IMO. not amazing but hes got some good stats. keeps things tight.