• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Marsh

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Without looking up stats I'm wondering who of Mitch Marsh and Zac Crawley have been blessed with most gifted selections

Surely 2 of the worst test batting records for top 6 batsmen who played 20 Tests or more?

Molehill

International Captain
Without looking up stats I'm wondering who of Mitch Marsh and Zac Crawley have been blessed with most gifted selections

Surely 2 of the worst test batting records for top 6 batsmen who played 20 Tests or more?
And both seemingly helped along by influential fathers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah MMarsh's makes more sense at face value given his old man was national vice captain, coach and selector (I think). Also benefited massively form the eternal Aus search for a viable test allrounder.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It's always puzzled me that for all the brilliant players that the Aussies have produced since I've been watching cricket, they've never had a really top class all rounder.

Considering we've produced Botham, Flintoff and Stokes- the Aussie cupboard has always been pretty bare.

Green is the 1st player you've had for decades who could genuinely be a WC all rounder.

Molehill

International Captain
Never really thought about Aussies lack of great all rounders, guess Shane Watson springs to mind although his progress always appeared hindered
due to his constant run ins with injuries.
I think to be a World Class all rounder you need to be able to win a game with both ball and bat. All 3 of those Englishman (and you could add in Moeen too) have done it at one point or another, maybe not consistently in some cases. I'm not sure Watson ever did with the ball and it remains to be seen whether Green can.

I guess that's the question, who was the last Aussie to win a MOTM award for both bowling and batting?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's always puzzled me that for all the brilliant players that the Aussies have produced since I've been watching cricket, they've never had a really top class all rounder.

Considering we've produced Botham, Flintoff and Stokes- the Aussie cupboard has always been pretty bare.

Green is the 1st player you've had for decades who could genuinely be a WC all rounder.
Quick bowling all rounders are very rare

Flintoff was only WC for a couple of years and was basically a slogger anyway while Stokes is hardly a frontline bowler

Jadeja & Shakib are much better cricketers than they ever were

Qlder

State Vice-Captain

You are covering 46 years of cricket with Botham, Flintoff and Stokes. Aus have had their share with Greg Matthews (averages over 40 with bat), Shane Watson and Andrew Symonds while Adam Gilchrist could be considered one of the best all-rounders ever. Then there is Green who has the potential to be better then them all ?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
You are covering 46 years of cricket with Botham, Flintoff and Stokes. Aus have had their share with Greg Matthews (averages over 40 with bat), Shane Watson and Andrew Symonds while Adam Gilchrist could be considered one of the best all-rounders ever. Then there is Green who has the potential to be better then them all ?
46 years is a long time and in that time the Aussies haven't had a top class all rounder, whilst England have had 3.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Quick bowling all rounders are very rare

Flintoff was only WC for a couple of years and was basically a slogger anyway while Stokes is hardly a frontline bowler

Jadeja & Shakib are much better cricketers than they ever were
Flintoff was a much better batsmen than a slogger and Stokes was a front line bowler until his knee issues.

Not sure why you brought Jadeja and Shakib into this, fine players but obviously not Australian.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
46 years is a long time and in that time the Aussies haven't had a top class all rounder, whilst England have had 3.
Flintoff and Stokes have 1 game where they made a 50 and took 5 wkts. Green already has that as does Starc. Brett Lee has 3 games where he did that and Cummins twice. Are Flintoff and Stokes really WC all-rounders if they can't make 50 and take a fivefor more than once in long careers

Even Shane Warne, Mitchell Johnson, Paul Reiffel and Steve Waugh did it twice ?

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flintoff and Stokes have 1 game where they made a 50 and took 5 wkts. Green already has that as does Starc. Brett Lee has 3 games where he did that and Cummins twice. Are Flintoff and Stokes really WC all-rounders if they can't make 50 and take a fivefor more than once in long careers

Even Shane Warne, Mitchell Johnson, Paul Reiffel and Steve Waugh did it twice ?
Yet again we see the Oceanic tendency to overrate their nothing players rear its ugly head